Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huh?

So, how many of you guys ever get your shirt tails or neck strap whacked up in the prop after ya start it?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Huh?

So far, I have all my fingers and neckties.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got chopped up pretty good as a kid once. I've been REALLY careful ever since then
Old 09-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say as I have. Course, I've never played jacks in the fast lane of the interstate, either. [sm=75_75.gif]

I learned long ago that loose clothing, straps, etc. don't mix well with moving machinery.

Dr.1
Old 09-16-2006, 07:07 AM
jettstarblue

Fingers...got an electric starter.
Antenna...don't use a neck strap anymore.
Shin...don't let that guy fly at the field an more.

Shirt tail? That too close to the boys to get caught in a prop![X(]
Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 AM
ClemenTang

shirt tails... you should be worrying about something else!

Clement
Old 09-18-2006, 08:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shirt tails... you should be worrying about something else!
Good one!

I quit using a neck strap too.[:@]
Old 09-18-2006, 09:24 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I've had the shirt tail(s ) get thwacked once or twice when it got sucked into the prop, but not too bad...

Back in the mid 70's, I was a kid and flying with my flight instructor...well...one day, he was bending over (standing right in front of the plane ) to adjust the needle valve of a K&B .61 running wide open...
I was holding the plane by the aft fuselage, as I saw the entire contents of his shirt pocket spill right onto/into the spinning prop![X(][X(][X(] He was an older guy, who always had a Cross pen and pencil set and a machinist 6" rule, and a few other things in his "pocket protector"...
Anyway...as you can imagine...pieces of Top Flite "Super M" 11 X 7 went flying / splintering, as did the pockets contents...
The K&B screamed for a few seconds before he could cut it....but MAN that was a scary moment!
Luckily, neither one of us got hit with anything!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a Tx antenna once.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:17 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Oh man...That reminds me of another one...

I was running up my K&B .40 in my "OverDose" (Original Design, O.D. for short...fun fly type...mid 70's time frame again ) when my tx. antenna slid over the edge of my flight box, and it went right into the prop...naturally, it was running wide open (again )

The TF 10 X 6 (Super M again...we used those a lot back then ) mangled the Hobby-Lobby 5's antenna...and naturally, the engine buzzed up some serious r.p.m. but I got it shut down quickly. When I got done shaking, my buddies razzed the heck outa me...(what are friends for, aye?!)

Musta been something about those K&B's ?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

I feel that i have a pretty good ritual goin now that i follow upon startup that allows me to stay safe, and i DO use a neck-strap.

However, when i first started with RC planes, it was sweatshirt weather here in so. cal. (January) and i nearly wrapped up my hood-strings in the prop on a couple of occasions [X(]
Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 AM
ClemenTang

ORIGINAL: proptop

I've had the shirt tail(s ) get thwacked once or twice when it got sucked into the prop, but not too bad...
Obviously your shirt tail is too long! Sorry really can't help.

Clement
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Montague

I try to be super careful around the props (and moving machinery in general).

I do use a neckstrap, but I take it off to start the engine. If I can't take it off, I unclip the TX and tuck the strap down inside my shirt, usually down my back. If it doesn't seem like it will stay there, I just don't use it.

I also check my pockts and make sure nothing will fall out and into the prop. I've seen it happen a few times. Saw a guy's glasses fall out and into the prop, making quite a mess, and costing him quite a bit of money for new glasses. (no one was hurt).

If I'm wearing a jacket, I'll zip it up part way, start the engine, then unzip it again when I taxi out if it's too hot to leave zipped.

I fly quite a few handlaunch planes and once or twice I've managed to slip and damage an antenna while getting ready to hand launch. I now throw most of my planes left-handed underhand, which means I can pick them up and throw them with out having to shift my grip at all, and do it all with one hand, so the other hand stays on the TX and keeps it under control.

It's all about being careful and thinking about what you're doing.

Oh, and wear eye protection just in case. My sunglasses have replaceable lenses, and I have several light shades for flying in cloudy days, orange, light yellow, even clear. But always something over my eyes when starting.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
KW_Counter

I tried a neck strap once - hated it!
The transmitter antenna is down while starting - it goes up right before or as taxiing to the runway.
Usually wear a polo shirt so no pocket to empty.
Usually have my shirt tails tucked in so no problem there.
Just built a couple of starting benches for the field so should reduce these problems a lot.

I did lose a hat once - leaned over to move the plane out of the starting trap and it fell off into the prop.
Lost a perfectly good $5 hat and gave everyone a good laugh.

Let's be careful out there,
KW_Counter
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
ClemenTang

I unclip the Tx and place it on the ground. No I wouldn't start the plane with the antenna collapsed don't know about you but I'm one of those that occassionally walk out the bathroom forgot to zip up.

Clement