Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Something for Next to Nothing

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Something for Next to Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 05:12 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something for Next to Nothing

It seems to me that in the world of buying and selling R/C aircraft and accessories, that the playing field is unfairly slanted toward the buyer. While I enjoy getting a good deal as much as the next guy, I can't understand why buyers want sellers to accept ridiculous offers for their inherently costly equipment. One thing is for sure, since I started this hobby for myself, I've noticed that modelers tend to be a cheap bunch. Since model aircraft are luxuries which tend to be expensive, I don't understand why some folks feel they're entitled to buy something for next to nothing. Since I myself am a small business owner, I know what it's like to have someone try to beat me over the head for a deal. Whether you're a business person, a private seller, or even a W-2 wage earner, we all have to get a fair market price for our product, time or talent, it's the American Way. So the next time one of you tightwads tries to get something for next to nothing, put yourself in the seller's shoes and try to have a heart. I know the deal making mindset well and I don't think it's a stretch to say that the people who want the best deals, are the people who are willing to give the least.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:14 PM
adrian-RCU

a smoking gun!!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 05:23 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

On the other side of the free enterprise coin, buyers are not going to spend their hard earned money if they don't think it's worth it. Most people don't buy the latest and greatest simply because it the latest and greatest. We all know that the costs of making/manufacturing products is but a fraction of what the asking price is. Supply and demand. Demand is where we (buyers) come in.
That being said, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, hobbyists do tend to be, I prefer the term frugal. We have so much we'd like to buy, soo much money going out, we want more bang for the buck. As long as the world tries to get the most it can for a product, we'll go on trying to beat you down.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I gotta see how this thread turns out. I noticed that I hate it when people try to lowball me, but there is no way I am going to pay more than Tower price at my LHS. Guess I am on both sides of the fence.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Crashem

Interesting Issue.

What I noticed on Ebay and in the swap shops is that most people want very close to retail or street price for their used stuff

So rather then offend somebody with a low ball price I just buy new. After all most of this stuff is sold as is and has no warranty.

Why pay 180-200 for a used engine when new costs 50-70 bucks more and in some cases the warranty is 3 years.

As far a used radios same thing unless the price is so good why take the chance...

Remember you do get what you pay for and buying used stuff online is buying in most cases is buying an item sight onseen..
Old 01-14-2003, 06:02 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting that when a spectator at our field asked about the price of getting into the hobby, more often than not, when they hear the answer, the spectator comments that it's too expensive. But when they are allowed to fly one the of the club's trainers, suddenly, the cost doesn't seem too high anymore.

I will let anyone fly my heli and the same thing happens. I think when people are so afraid of crashing, the price is high, but if they are assured that they can learn without crashing and receive a not all that stressful hands-on flying experience, RC flying suddenly becomes a bit more affordable.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 01-14-2003, 06:11 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

You don't save much on the long run with used rc stuff. Especially, when it comes to engines and electronic devices. I would never buy a used engine simply because I don't know how the seller has been using it. I would never buy used servos or Tx/Rx because servos and Rx do get damaged in crash and Tx pots do get worn out. If you have your heart set on a good deal used Tx, you should shell out some money to get it recalibrate and get new pots for it. Rx sometimes need to be recalibrated also. In the end, there will always be some uncertainties on assurance. It always seems more troublesome than its worth. I'd rather wait for something that I want to go on sale to buy them.

Someone has mentioned earlier that Tower has the best price. Well, that is not true. You should checkout Quantum Models, Servo City, Omnimodels, to list a few. I always check the above place before start checking at Tower. Nevertheless, I like to shop at Tower the most, simply because I have membership there, and they have the greatest variety of hobby products.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

I think the underlying issue is on-line sales and purchases.

When You post an item for sale here or anywhere on-line in a swap shop forum, You have to accept that there will be Low Ball offers. Its part of the Game, The American Way

Just as buying from someone on-line, If they have an item You want do You pay what they are asking every time? I do that, But I don't try to buy everything I see or want. If it is being sold for a price and I have the money ON HAND I offer to buy it, If I don't have ENOUGH money I just wait till the same type of item shows up again.

One major thing about on-line buying/selling is its not personable,
and most people understand this. I see it at $90 on-line and it sells for $100 retail, Why waste my time. If it is not available any longer then it may be worth $90, But I will guarantee there will be offers of $60 $65 $70 etc. Its the AMERICAN WAY too.

Offer goods for sale and someone will always want to offer a lower price, Actually that's the essence of Competition. Which is also the AMERICAN WAY

And it does not matter whether You are a BP, PS, or W-2 Wage Earner, You are either a Buyer or a Seller. In a great hobby

My .01 cents My wife has the other penny
Dan Z
Old 01-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Crashem

Johnc1go,

One other thing you shouldn't become offended if someone low-balls you its part off the game.

That person may simply believe that your asking price is not in-line with current market value. Case in point used computers the computer you paid 1000 for last year is now worth less then half.

As the seller of the item you have the Final say as to who and how much you sell an item for.

Simply ignore or decline offers you deem unacceptable.

Simple Sales Scenerio:

Seller's goal maximize sale amount

Buyer's goal minimize amount paid

Deal is usually struck when buyer and seller agree on a "fair" price

You may not get an item for less then it is offered. BUT you will NOT get an item for LESS then advertised unless YOU ASK!!!!

Look at all the stores that do price matching. They advertise one price but for the few that shop around they are willing to lower the price....
Old 01-14-2003, 07:19 PM
rockmon

Tightwad, man I haven't heard that for a while. Someone pee in the corn flakes or what? I don't consider myself a tightwad just because I look for a good deal on r/c gear or anything else for that matter. The last swap meet I was at the whole room must have been filled with them there tightwads because they were all there looking for good deals. Can you honestly say you have never ever tried to get a better deal on something? I didn't think so,so chill man you will make it up on the next customer. Now I got to go call my tightwad buddy and tell him I want more for that motor I sold him.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

This is an amusing thread, put forth by someone closely aligned with ClintsToyChest - who recently decided he'd had it with RCU and left in a blaze of....well, not with particular grace.

This is an online swap meet, NOT a free advertising venue for those wishing to run a business. As such, it's a negotiation between buyers and sellers - a true free marketplace. All an item is worth is what the highest bidding buyer is willing to pay. If the seller won't accept that, they keep their merchandise, plain and simple.

Yhis last year, I've been buying and selling a lot less than I did a couple of years back. Why? I was in the process of building a new house, and living in a rental. I'm also working 4-5 nights a week (man, those upgrades were expensive!) and don't have the time and energy to list, pack and ship much. I still buy a few things (6-7 kits in the last four months) and will be selling a large number of kits soon. If I make an offer and it's accepted, great. If not, no hard feelings. If I make an offer, I run the risk of someone else buying it at asking price.

When I sell, I expect lowball offers. I usually research the going prices on what I'm selling, and price accordingly. Sometimes that's nearly impossible, as a long out-of-production kit, which was produced in very limited quantittes, may not have been on the market lately.

Most of my kit collection is out-of-production kits, many of which I have multiples of. These are kits that have special meaning to me, either because of exceptional design, quality, or appearance. I know what they are worth to me, and if I can't sell them for that I'll keep them. Sometimes I even give them away - literally. There are some situations where I've enjoyed helping out a fellow modeler much more than the market value of the items.

I guess the bottom line for me is that this is a hobby for me. If I get all wound up in trying to make money at it, it'll become work. I can teach night school and make a whole lot more $ at that than I can in the swap shop, and keep my hobby fun.

I have no problem with people making offers - where's the harm in it? I can say yes, no or make a counter-offer. I don't expect to sell current production stuff at hobby shop prices, nor am I willing to pay 95% of hobby shop prices for second-hand NIB current stuff.

The Swap Shop is for hobbiests. Pros should set up their own website or Ebay store.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Crashem

This is an amusing thread, put forth by someone closely aligned with ClintsToyChest - who recently decided he'd had it with RCU and left in a blaze of....well, not with particular grace.
Thats a story I would REALLY like to hear.

I think you pretty much said it all... Now how about the story?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...394&forumid=43

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...28&forumid=133

And his trader karma http://www.rcuniverse.com/karma.php?...g&userid=17767

That about says it all..
Old 01-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Crashem

Teachu2,

Thanks for the tip.

That was an interesting thread especially the part about the identical ip addresses with different user names.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:14 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I thought this was a forum of people helping other people who share a common interest? Not necessarily a swap meet. I hope you know what I'm getting at. The swap meet aspect is fantastic but it's the camaraderie(sp?) and helpfulness is what makes this forum so great. The funny storeis are awesome too. I don't think anyone comes here looking to get top dollar on their goods. Although it would be nice, it's just not going to happen. Anyone who has been involved in a hobby for any length of time, know what's a good price and what's vapor.
Anyway, I'll end there.