Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Saw "Flyboys" tonite

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Saw "Flyboys" tonite

Good movie, go see it. Kind of corny, but great flying, even if most of it was computer generated. The only German planes were DR-1's, and they were all red except for one, which was all black. There were Spad's, Nieuport 11's and 17's, Se-5's, Bristol FB-2's and a Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter, which was sort of the squadron taxicab. Most of what you saw in the air were Nieuport 17's.

I won't give away the story, but there is a love interest, I guess to break up the fight sequences and also so the wives will not want to leave halfway through. It's a little over two hours long.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
drone pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saw "Flyboys" tonite

Have heard from five people here that have seen it, 3 no....2 go... I'll wait for the DVD... Like to see the cuts and special effects......
Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Supposedly, only 5 actual flying aircraft, or something like that, the rest are computer generated; you have to look carefully to see it, ALL the planes had radials, no rotaries, it was obvious from the engine sound, and you could see it, too.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the wife and she gave it the "Hey, that didn't suck too bad" award. It is an enjoyable (if you disconnect reality) flying movie
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 PM
bdavison

They started with Model Airplanes for the flying sequences, but after some hair-raising crashes and mishaps, they switched to CGI.
Perhaps we will see a future MA magazine with some of the models.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
drone pilot

Check the other Flyboys threads there are some interesting links.......Cliff
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

For those of you that saw "The Aviator", how realistic were the flying sequences in this movie? I remember that Model Aviation had a three part article covering the filming of the flying scenes with models of the Hughes aircraft not too long ago.

I'm hoping "Thunder Over Reno" (due out next summer?) doesn't rely too heavily on the computer graphic stuff.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Just got back from seeing it- I thought it was awesome. Personally I felt it was the best movie I've seen in a long time. The critics gave it a C , yet they gave Jackass 2 a B-.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:21 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Just got back from seeing it- I thought it was awesome. Personally I felt it was the best movie I've seen in a long time. The critics gave it a C , yet they gave Jackass 2 a B-.
That is why any person with common sense cannot rely on what critics or the press says
Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats because the critics are jackasses.

Generally, if the critics give it a high rating, I won't go see it. And if they give it an extremely poor rating, I won't go see that one either. If they give it a C rating or a middle ground rating, I won't go see that one either.

Critics are about as usefull as a floatation device while your hiking across the Sahara desert.

I'm a netflix guy. I don't usually see a movie untill it's been out on DVD for 3--6 months. It's just not worth paying $20 for a pair of tickets for me and the wife. She always wants a coke and a bag of popcorn. By the time I get back from the movies, I'm out about $35.

Netflix costs me $20 a month and I get to watch, on average, 3 movies a week. That ads up to about 12 or 15 movies a month for $20. Toss a bag of Orvill Redenbocker in the microwave and put the kids to bed. Pause it when ever I want if I need to go to the bathroom or get another drink. Better than a night out on the town.

I'll catch Flyboys sometime next year for about $1.25
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Netflix costs me $20 a month and I get to watch, on average, 3 movies a week. That ads up to about 12 or 15 movies a month for $20. Toss a bag of Orvill Redenbocker in the microwave and put the kids to bed. Pause it when ever I want if I need to go to the bathroom or get another drink.

Not to mention not having the teenagers that apparently think everyone paid to come listen to them talk and yell at eachother instead of being able to hear the movie.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Dig it

Well, if you get by bi-planes flying like F-18's, its an ok movie. I highly doubt I would add if to my personal collection but it was fun to watch. Like its been said. Disconnect yourself from reality and its ok.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

It was a cool movie. Even if the performance of the planes was a bit unrealistic, it takes you back to WW1 and you see a lot of cool stuff. The Zeppelin was AWESOME, my wife did not even know zepps had existed until watching this movie. Go in with a good attitude, you see lots of old planes, WWi type era scenes, and you will love it.

If you go in with the attitude that " Im going to look for every inaccurate detial" then you will probably not like it.

Both my wife and I liked the movie

JettPilot
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Ectomorph26

Well if you want the history channel it's on cable movies are for entertainment. So I ignore their mistakes because if I didn't I wouldn't want to go see any of holyweird's movies. From relationships to guns, flying, fighting, etc. You name it and holyweird takes it all over the edge to the point of unrealism for the sake of entertainment.

Like in Pearly Harbor when they were taking off in the P-40's he told his buddy "P-40's can't out run zero's, we're going to have to out fly them." There was some definite historical innacuracy for you since the one thing a P-40 won't do is out fly a zero. Matter of fact the Zero will turn circles around it.

However aside from the fighting scene's Pearl Harbor sucked. It was a big mushy love story. Flyboys had a love story but it wasn't way over the top and it didn't consume 90% of the movie like Pearl Harbor did. Pearl Harbor was a love story with a war background, Flyboys was a war story with some love in the background.

Also for all their innacuracies they seemed to very detailed about much of the training devices and ideas they had about how to fly back then. It gave me more than one laugh thats for sure, and the action was great.

I think they do many things just to help the audience. A bunch of multicolored historically accurate bi-planes chasing each other around migth be great for the history buffs who can spot each type at a glance. For the other 99% of the people it would leave them going "Who is who?" about 3 seconds into the fight. Thus putting all the germans in tri-planes painted red and the one black a.k.a bad guy allowed the audience to clearly see friend from foe.

There were only like 5 real planes in the movie and I don't think they did any dogfighting, and they were all replica's made out of fabric and tube and can be had for around $15,000 in kit form with a motor.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: H5606

For those of you that saw "The Aviator", how realistic were the flying sequences in this movie? I remember that Model Aviation had a three part article covering the filming of the flying scenes with models of the Hughes aircraft not too long ago.

I'm hoping "Thunder Over Reno" (due out next summer?) doesn't rely too heavily on the computer graphic stuff.
I don't think so, they had cameras everywhere, and at least one (sometimes two) choppers up covering the unlimited races (all classes).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for the sake of history, when WWII broke out the Japanese Zero was for the most part a well kept secret from the allied forces. It's certain Claire Chennault and his troop were well aware of what the capabilities of the zero were and how poorly the Warhawk compared, but there was liitle in the way of communication that was payed much attention to from the "eastern" theater.

The vast majority of ours and other allied pilots knew nothing at all about the Zero until December 7-8, depending on where you were with the dateline. That's why so many men died flying in Brewster Buffaloes. They did not know any better and really thought they had a chance. The P-39 was another that faired badly, and was a favorite target of Zero pilots due to the lack of armor it had at the time. By the time our forces finally met the Zero face to face the Japanese had about a 3 year aerial combat head start on us.

All in all, the Zero was a Japanese airborn secret weapon and it took the allied forces quite some time to catch up. Not until the Hellcat did the balance start to even out some, and even then the Zero was still superior. We had a lot more planes and pilots in the air by that time. True aircraft type superiority in the Pacific was not really attained until the P-38 made it's introduction. In that, the P-38 holds the record for the most Japanese planes shot down in WWII.

As for the Flyboys, it's supposed to be entertainment, not history. Hollywood has not accurately depicted history in a long, long time unless it suited their needs better than changing it would have.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Just for the sake of history, when WWII broke out the Japanese Zero was for the most part a well kept secret from the allied forces. It's certain Claire Chennault and his troop were well aware of what the capabilities of the zero were and how poorly the Warhawk compared, but there was liitle in the way of communication that was payed much attention to from the "eastern" theater.
Yes and also the KI-43, (Army fighter) which the "Flying Tigers" saw the most along with LI-27s. However the "Zero" (Navy fighter) had all the fame so the FTs shot down a number of Zeros

The vast majority of ours and other allied pilots knew nothing at all about the Zero until December 7-8, depending on where you were with the dateline. That's why so many men died flying in Brewster Buffaloes.
Not many of those in the US service. You mean Wildcat the Naval units.
//snip//

As for the Flyboys, it's supposed to be entertainment, not history. Hollywood has not accurately depicted history in a long, long time unless it suited their needs better than changing it would have.
Yep that is what the film makers so say. It's a movie aimed at contemporary audiences.

If you really want to know the real story as the film makers planned and executed the film, then you want to obtain the NOVEMBER 2006 issue of AIR CLASSICS which has a great story about the entire thing, why things were done as they were and the intents of the managers, even two sub-titles such as The REAL story and The REEL story of the Lafayette Escadrille.

The movie is NOT history but entertainment. Got to see it now.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]