The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Which Spitfire?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 AM
drdan499

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which Spitfire?

I'm considering buying a 60 size Spitfire and want advise on which one to get. Two ARF's are coming out soon: Hanger 9's and World Model's. Since neither of these are out yet, I Just want imput as to the quality that these two company's ARF's have.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Which Spitfire?

drdan, I review products for RCU Magazine, and I have dealt with both of these companies a lot.

Personally, I think both companies are great. I would put H-9 a step ahead of WM for quality, but WM usually cost less. And that's not to say that WM has bad quality, in fact they are very good. I just think that H-9 is a little better.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
campbec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi drdan499,

Minn obviously has a far wider experience of different manufacturers than I do. FWIW a mate of mine has a Sportsman Aviation ARF Spitty with a 90RCV. This is my only experience with any ARF Spittys. I did the maiden/trimming flight for him and was amazed at how well and "light" this model flew. For a warbird it flys more like a sports model and doesn't need to be landed nearly as hot as a TF kit Spitty. The quality appears to be comparable with the best ARFs I have seen. However like any ARF seal the engine and tank bay against fuel and make sure the covering joins and trim edges/stickers are secured with your favourite clear or acetone or aged camel urine or whatever method works for you.

From my non war bird experience with ARFs I can only echo Minn's thoughts about H9 and WM.

However if the Sportman Aviation prices are comparable IMHO they are more than worth a look.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
ecole1999

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I RECENTLY BUILT AND FLEW THE HANGER NINE WITH A ST 90. IT IS A GREAT FLYER. THE ONLY PROBLEM I RAN INTO WAS THE SUPPLIED LANDING GEAR. THE KIT COMES WITH THE STANDARD HANGER 9 MECHANICAL GEAR. FIRST OFF, I HATE MECHANICAL GEAR WITH A PASSION. SECONDLY, THE GEAR SUPPLIED IS AN 85 DEGREE GEAR AND WHEN DOWN, IS VERTICAL. REALLY LOOKS BAD AND WILL ALLOW THE WIRE TO BEND ON EVEN SOFT LANDINGS. AFTER THREE FLIGHTS. I BROUGHT IT HOME AND MODIFIED THE MOUNT FOR SPRING AIR GEAR AND VQ STRUTS. I DON'T KNOW IF THE NEW ROBART AIR UP/SPRING DOWN GEAR WILL FIT. I WILL KNOW SHORTLY, AS I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS BUILDING ONE NOW, AND HAS PURCHASED THE ROBART GEAR AND ROBO-STRUTS. I HAVE PURCHASED A TOP FLITE COCKPIT TO INSTALL, BUT THAT MAY TAKE AWHILE. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU SET UP YOUR CONTROL THROWS ON THE ELEVATOR!!!!! TOO MUCH ELEVATOR WILL INDUCE AN INSTANT SNAP. THE ONLY OTHER THING THAT I NOTICED WAS THAT AT HALF FLAPS IT GOT A LITTLE PITCH SENSITIVE, BUT AT FULL FLAPS IT WAS NOT. IT IS A VERY WELL BEHAVED AIRPLANE. BY THE WAY, A 60 WILL FLY IT WITH EASE. I DIDN'T HAVE ONE ON HAND SO I USED THE ST90. NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT'S VERY FAST. FINISHED WEIGHT IS 7 1/2 LBS. CG WAS DEAD ON, NO WEIGHT ADDED. HOPE THIS INPUT IS HELPFUL. ED
Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Lee62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am presently in the market for a Spit ARF and am trying to figure out if I am going to be able to fit a 2300 Super Tigre into it. I am looking at the Nitro models 71" to keep the price down a bit, but I would like any input you may have considering the engine that I have on hand. I realize that the disp of the 2300 (1.4 ci) is going to make it difficult to find something. Thanks