Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

All RC "toys" Banned in Sri Lanka

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

All RC "toys" Banned in Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All RC "toys" Banned in Sri Lanka

Where could this happen next??

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...YS.xml&src=rss
Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: All RC "toys" Banned in Sri Lanka

Are you even a little bit surprised about this? You shouldn't be. With all the fun things that Hollywood depicts R/C cars and planes doing it's reasonable to presume that various law enforcement people watch the movies and get ideas, too. Here at home some of our police currently use r/c cars as various tools in the efforts to fight crime. A police department in Los Angeles has tried to use model plane technology in aerial surveillance.

Every so often you find some either very dumb or very mean people here in an R/C modeling forum trying to discuss ways to make things go boom in a model plane, launch explosive projectiles, or how to set up a functioning ag sprayer. The fact that somone has the idea can be considered proof enough for some that it can be done. The bad part is they're not wrong. If we fail to use a little care and self restraint you can be assured it could happen here as well.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

When you don't have the cajones to control the criminal, terrorist, nut case, etc - you simply try to control his possible tools.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Avistar 2

That's SICK,[] That officer is dam kill joy.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

When you don't have the cajones to control the criminal, terrorist, nut case, etc - you simply try to control his possible tools.
Then I guess the U.S. definately next. []
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Avistar 2

PROTEST AGAIST IT
BAN THEM PROTEST THEM
Old 10-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Tired Old Man

I'm not trying to be political, but I agree 100% witgh Red's assessment of the situation. Unfortunately the world and our country have changed tremendouly over the past 30 years, and not necessarily for the better in a lot of areas. If we want to preserve what we have we're all going to need to exercise a little care in the way we approach things. Eventually I can see that some things may have to change, and that we will probably not like those changes when they occur. We have to regain control of our streets sooner or later.

I don't agree with a lot of what the AMA does, but it's the only organization we have that looks at things and communicates positively about our activities. What has now happened in India could easily (and quickly) happen here if that small watchdog agency we have in the AMA was not present. It will only require one negative event using models to precipitate some rather draconian effects.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Avistar 2

I hope it don't happen here, this terrorist fear has gone too far
ever think that the one who bans that is the dam terrorist.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a big R/C following in Sri Lanka?

Cover story: "All the Pilots Effected are Both Upset!"
Old 10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Tired Old Man

There are a lot more modelers of all types in India and Sri Lanka than one might think.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Every so often you find some either very dumb or very mean people here in an R/C modeling forum trying to discuss ways to make things go boom in a model plane, launch explosive projectiles, or how to set up a functioning ag sprayer. The fact that somone has the idea can be considered proof enough for some that it can be done.
That just stupid. Full size cars, trucks, and all sorts of things are much more effective and easier to use than for a terrorist trying to use some RC car or plane. A RC vehicle can only hold a small amount of explosive and its pretty difficult to become proficient enough to deliver it accurately.

Its MUCH easier for a terrorist to just fill up a car or truck and drive it somewhere. Or bury it along the road as we see in Iraq. Only paranoid idiots are getting so worked up about RC being used for terrorisim. There are much better, simpler, and more effective ways for terrorists to cause problems.

JettPilot
Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

....Only paranoid idiots are getting so worked up about RC being used for terrorisim. .....
And 6 years ago people said the same thing about airliners being used as missles and flown into buildings....

Ken
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

....Only paranoid idiots are getting so worked up about RC being used for terrorisim. .....
And 6 years ago people said the same thing about airliners being used as missles and flown into buildings....

Ken
Agreed, not to mention the potential for a biological or chemical payload in a RC plane. I don't think it takes much of some chemicals to cause alot of destruction.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Avistar 2

They miltary is 24 hour perniod and so is they the white house.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Tired Old Man

I work in a business where we get to see all kinds of fun things that get done on what could almost be considered a daily basis using "tools" far less sophisticated that the toys we play with. Size is never an issue, only an effect of any size. Sri Lanka is not the least bit out of line with current events and capabilities in radio control. Unfortunately that same business restricts a very large part of what can be related. You have to see it to believe it, but once you do you can never go back. Paranoia is not a factor, reality is.

Jett Pilot:

Although the whole situation sounds as stupid as you say, the reality of what has already happened is not stupid at all. In many cases it has already been tragic. To fail to react to what has already occurred is even more stupid. They say ignorance is bliss, which is true in many things, but when it comes to preventing the death of innocents, ignorance cannot be tolerated.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Jetpilot makes a very good point.

A good example might be:
Perhaps the federal building bombing in Oklahoma wouldn't
have been so bad if an R/C car was used instead of a full
sized truck.

Roby
Old 10-11-2006, 06:15 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

This is an isolated, temperary event done in order to keep the Tamil Tigers from using RC cars, boats, and planes to carry IEDS.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 AM
heli_Rod

ON SOAPBOX
WE are doing the basic same thing here already. Only here it is called "gun control". Sri Lanka is trying to control terrorists the same way we are trying to control criminals. If you can't control the criminal, terrorist, nut case, etc, then control the tools they use, even if it takes away the rights of the law biding, upright citizens.
OFF SOAPBOX

I hope such a thing doesn't happen here, but if you look at the way the government is handling airport security...anything is possible.

Rod[&o]
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: scottrc

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

This is an isolated, temperary event done in order to keep the Tamil Tigers from using RC cars, boats, and planes to carry IEDS.

True, but couldn't your sentance easily be changed to:
This is an isolated, temperary event done in order to keep the Taliban and Al Queda from using RC cars, boats, and planes to carry IEDS
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Tired Old Man

exeter, you nailed the situation perfectly in two geographical locations. Just change the name of the organization and you have the third. Some things are very hard to import into a couple of countries already.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Barfly

When I see the time, money and resources being spent on security, and the disruption caused around the world, all due to the threat of terrorism, it is clear to me that they have won, and will continue to win, until the terrorist has no more reason to act.

And now we are concerned that even our pass-time or hobby may be disrupted as well. A steak knife can be used as a deadly weapon, there's a set in nearly every household. It is not possible to remove every possible weapon, or tool, or terrorist. What must be removed is the reason.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail and we can continue to enjoy the R/C hobby.

Cheers from the Barfly.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Avistar 2

All this Terrorist crazy officals need to go see Dr Phil
if the president freaks just because some one sreawed uped
than we don't need him in office.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Barfly

It is not possible to remove every possible weapon, or tool, or terrorist. What must be removed is the reason.

In their view the reason is that someone is not muslim. I prefer not to be removed, thank you.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Tired Old Man

I can see where that saying "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" has some real value all of a sudden. As one that has seen first hand what the effects of couple of pounds of explosives in the hands of a ten year old can do I place a bit more faith in the actions of some of our leaders. Once you see what's going into the body bags and what caused the results you would too.

I don't believe anyone is being paranoid, but rather they have a solid grasp of what the situation is and could be without control or prevention. The vast majority of our population is severly remoted from the reality of anything that's not on the 10 o'clock news, and they can't possibly comprehend the situation. That's not a bad thing at all because it means that those attempting to insulate those inside our borders are doing their jobs successfully---so far. We don't have those types of controls or issues here simply because someone is doing a great job of stopping it before it gets here.

Don't jump to a news reporters conclusion that has not been any more involved than sitting in the lounge of a hotel taking some notes on information that he obtained from another reporter sitting across the lounge from him. Go there, see it all first hand, then come back and tell us what just became very, very clear to you. That applies in quite a few countries. Sudan, Somalia, Darfuh, Iraq, Afganistan, the Phillipines, Lebanon, and a few others. In every one of the countries mentioned, killing will often take place simply for the power someone may feel from the act alone. It's a dangerous would out there and it often makes little sense. It really is.

I'll get off the soapbox now. I can only relate it as I've experienced it.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Avistar 2

And yet I just heard that a sm all airplane crashes in tall building in NewYory city
watch bush cry terrorist now, some one please take him to Dr Phil show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.