Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC in Movies and Television

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC in Movies and Television

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC in Movies and Television

The remote controlled plane, full size, in Hopscotch, was a Stampe. This is one of my favorite comedies. I just got it on DVD.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Phlip

ORIGINAL: Barfly
An old Aussie movie called Arthur featured an R/C truck.
Reminded me of Ocean's Eleven ... the "twins" racing a full size truck against an R/C model. The R/C model wins until the full size flattens it.

(or something like that)
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I remember another in the old series "CHiP's". Our heroes were chasing one down a street that was heavily populated with trees. I think it was bunch of kids supposedly flying it. I kept wondering how they saw it to fly it there were so many trees.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In an episode of King of Queens, Doug walks over to a new neighbors home and gets "attacked" by an R/C car driven by a neighbor kid. Still trying to be nice, another kid attacks with an electric plane. He ends up climbing a pole or something and swats at the plane King Kong style.

My personal favorite is a very bad Charlie Sheen movie called "Under Pressure." Charlie is, well, under pressure from a variety of sources. When a neighbor kid accidently flies his Sig Wonder (my design!) into his window, Charlie snaps and goes on a killing spree.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movie War Games (1983) "Shal we play a game?"
Dr. Steven Falken was flying an RC terradactal.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Pablo22

Hi all

On this subject, when I was a lot younger, must be mid to late 1980's, I remember seeing a film, or at least a long TV show.

It featured several teenagers flying Radio Controlled Spitfires. These teenagers fitted mechanisms to the bottom of the spitfires, which then shot darts from the planes. They had it hung up in a garage and were practising with a dartboard.

There was a "bad" plane that was smuggling some sort of ring, or jewel, and the spitfires had to chase after it and shoot it down, using the darts.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the film/tv show. I keep wanting to call it "Sky Pirates", but I've been searching the internet for AGES and not found ANYTHING to do with this program.

Does anyone else remember it? I'm in England, UK, so I suppose it might not have been shown in the USA..

Anyone got ANY ideas?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Pablo22

Hi all

On this subject, when I was a lot younger, must be mid to late 1980's, I remember seeing a film, or at least a long TV show.

It featured several teenagers flying Radio Controlled Spitfires. These teenagers fitted mechanisms to the bottom of the spitfires, which then shot darts from the planes. They had it hung up in a garage and were practising with a dartboard.

There was a "bad" plane that was smuggling some sort of ring, or jewel, and the spitfires had to chase after it and shoot it down, using the darts.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the film/tv show. I keep wanting to call it "Sky Pirates", but I've been searching the internet for AGES and not found ANYTHING to do with this program.

Does anyone else remember it? I'm in England, UK, so I suppose it might not have been shown in the USA..

Anyone got ANY ideas?
A quick search turns up the following link: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809362393/info

Of course, this doesn't give any useful information, other than that it was produced in the UK in 1976.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aircraft that blow up, and all of the Stuka's in Battle of Brittan are RC. If you watch closely you can see and old Kraft tan servo tumble out of one of the -109's
Old 11-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Pablo22

Hi all

Anyone got ANY ideas?
Wierd, I remember something similar. What I recall is a long show, like you were saying, that involved some kind of smuggling with an R/C plane, and I think one crashed in the woods somewhere, spilling the contents? I want to say it was a Saturday morning type show. Also, I've heard there was an episode of Hawaii Five O where they used an R/C plane to smuggle diamonds.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Pablo22

I've found out it WAS called Sky Pirates, and was produced by the Childrens Film Foundation.....

Trying to get a copy of it from somewhere, but its proving difficult as the CFF no longer exist
If anyone knows where to get a copy - let me know!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 AM
WMB

Revenge of the Red Baron- One of those movies that is so bad, it is fun to watch. A few good one liners, "Beauty is in the gunsights of the beholder".
The pilot that shot down the Red Baron is played by Mickey Rooney. Mickey Rooney has two WW1 biplane RC models. The Red Baron comes back to life to extract revenge using the Fokker RC plane. Toby McGuire and Loraine Newman are in it also.
MikeB
Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember a movie, back in the 70's about a girl in her 20's or so (who we later find out is terminally ill) helping a guy cope with the stresses of business. They fly a R/C airplane off the Brooklyn Bridge. The movie was pretty popular at the time, but can't remember it's name now.

At the end of the movie, the guy 'invents' a 7-sided cardboard box as a gag, if that helps to stir any memories up.

Bob
Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

I can vaguely remember an episode from the TV series, Lassie, in the late 60's or early 70's where Lassie's boy went out to fly an R/C airplane. He lost radio signal to it when it was in the air, he went to go find it and was bitten by a snake. As always Lassie went home to get help and saved the day!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think that anyone has mentioned the Adam Sandler movie "Click". He has a pile of remotes on his coffee table, one is for an R/C truck and the other for an R/C helicopter that flies into his head.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Tired Old Man

The recent "Invasion" SciFi series. There's a lot of large scale R/C planes hanging from the ceiling of the town grocery store.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
BUflash

In the movie Rushmore (1998) Margaret Yang flies what I recall to be a Citabria while Max and Dirk are flying a kite in an open lot.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Tommygun

There was also an episode of Mr Ed (the talking horse show from the 1960's) where Wilbur's neighbor builds an R/C plane with a really old looking radio. This was in black and white. Ed flys it with his teeth and crashes it. I remember a line from the episode where the old man is repairing the plane, and his wife asks what he's doing. He say's, "I'm gluing the wing back on." Wife asks "why?" Old man says, "Would you like to fly in a plane with only one wing?" She asks, "Jet, or regular?" Guess that dates it pretty well, back when DC-6's and Connies still ruled the sky.
I also remember a movie called "Zapped" with Scott Baio where he gets mind control powers, and takes control of an R/C plane being flown at a local field, then chases the pilot with it. I think he throws his Kraft Gold box as a result.
In the beginning credits of "Valerie's Family" aka "The Hogan Family" they show a .40 something trainer. (I guess this was during the golden age of the hobby when it was a slightly more mainstream pastime.) They also appear to be using Kraft equiptment.

Here's the intro- the plane is all the way at the end of the clip after the snowball fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfrschcCNBg Anyone know what kind of plane it is?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:19 PM
damifino

Dave Platt was the chief model builder for 'Battle of Britain'. He's the Godfather of scale detail and especially scale paint and weathering. I you are into RC rent the movie! And remember that it was done in the '60's!!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Tommygun

Here's that one from the Hogan's intro, anyone ever seen the episode with the plane? I wonder what trainer that was.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79745.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	876327  
Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The radio is a Futaba as they had the tan cases with the black endplates back then with the closed gimbals.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Jim Schwagle

The twin engine fighter that "Howard Hughes" crashed in the Aviator was RC. Another movie, whose name I, of course, can't remember was the Hawaiian 737 that had the top 1/3 of its fuselage rip off used an RC plane for the scenes when it approached the airport to land.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Montague

I seem to remember a "McGyver" episode where he rigs up an RC plane with some kind of pipe bomb and crashes it into the bad guys to save the day. But my memory is really fuzzy. The flying at least looked like someone struggling to keep it under control.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

You can search by plot at this site.
[link=http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Plots/]www.imdb.com[/link]
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Wild Foamy

i remember seeing this movie some time ago on TV

it was called "Mercy Mission: Rescue of flight 771" and heres a short summary:

"Jay is ordered to fly Cessna flight 30771 from the States to Sydney, with stopovers at Honolulu, Pago Pago and Norfolk Island. He's joined by Frank, who flies another Cessna. Frank crashes while taking off at Pago Pago, so Jay has to find Norfolk Island on his own. He gets lost and almost runs out of fuel. He contacts Gordon Vette by accident, the pilot of the ANZ 308, a plane with 88 passengers on board. He and his crew are the only ones who can save Jay. But to save him, they first have to find him...

they eventually find him and all is well, its based on a true story aswell

Its a great film and im curious as to wehter anyone else has seen it? next time i watch it i will look out for RC models
Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

The recent "Invasion" SciFi series. There's a lot of large scale R/C planes hanging from the ceiling of the town grocery store.
The store- Aero Market in Glendale Ca.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.