Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

A few constructive suggestions...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A few constructive suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few constructive suggestions...

For those following this thread, I offer that we just enjoy the "toys", after all, we do this primarily for our own fun, and not so much to impress others. Recognize too, that we are a very tiny minority in the overall population. Those that are not into this sport don't know, don't care, and have no reason to understand that these are real airplanes...just reduced in scale. I like to refer to the so called "real" aiplanes as "full scale". Moving into a much larger topic...Where we really shoot ourselves in the foot is by continuing to refer to our activity, as simply a hobby. Like it or not, there is an apparent stigma attached to that word. The word generates a distinct impression of useless, whimsical, table top plastic toys. I'm sure you've heard the expression..."grown men, playing with kids toys". That incorrect mind set will not earn much respect! Lets try to elevate our status by dropping that hobby word, and replace it with "sport". As Wil Byers wrote in his editorial in Dec, 02, "Quiet Flyer" magazine...We are losing flying fields every day. Noise, perceived danger, and lack of community support all tend to relegate our activity to the eclectic nuisance category. We are continually being moved further from urban centers, and many of us must drive for an hour in order to reach an approved flying site. This pushes our sport even further out of reach of the newcomers...typically youngsters, with very limited transportation. Our numbers are in decline. The cost to build and maintain a paved runway flying site is enormous, and even a grass strip is a huge expense. Our activity needs the active support of municipal, county, state, funding in order to merely survive, let alone grow. These governmental entities are disinterested in hobbys, but throw vast sums of money into the support of SPORTS. Look at all the ballfields, tennis courts, golf courses, jogging trails, etc. All of them under the banner of "SPORTS". It's a new concept, and one that will take time and effort to implement, but the rewards could be quite gratifying. This sport offers so much in the way of education as well as entertainment, but in order to survive, we must strive to improve our image in the eyes of the public.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:24 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Default Good Points

Capt Jim,
I agree this is a sport, I usually say Hobby, and I need to change that. I agree with what you wrote, and I'm not going to flame you or tell you your wrong. I posted on here yesterday, just trying to let people know how I felt and maybe get some support (thanks MinnFlyer, NitroWoman and all the others with some support or constructive support), not to get told I'm wrong or get blasted. My "deal" was the word Toy. I am only talking about this again because you used, "toy". I have no problem with the use in the right context i.e. " Hey Jim lets go play with our toys". I do not like it used as though what we do in this "sport" is by design for children. That to me is not trying to impress anyone, just get some basic respect for what this sport is all about.
My wife and I are both teachers and it would be like calling us baby-sitters, yes at times it seems we have to just baby-sit these kids, but Man it's so much more, it's called education! I guess the word "toy" offends me more than anything, but I do understand people will call "RC Models" toys.
I have a deep respect and love for this sport, I am dedicated and love to educate people about this Sport. I think education is the key, for all of this. We need to get more of the public involved and get more people hooked on this great sport. I think that is the step in the right direction for improving our image.

(off topic again) but good point

So I just keep doing it to myself, I'm sure I'll get flamed for what I said, I'm just sticking to my guns with this one. After RC Universe is a place we all should feel comfortable posting, asking questions, etc and not scared to post in fear others will tear you apart, not cool sometimes on here, I must say. I remember when I first discovered RCU, one of the first posts I read was from a young man (seth I think) who's Edge just crashed, and was trying to figure out what caused the crash. He was leaning toward bad radio gear, Man did he get worked over!!!! Everything from his spelling ,( Hell I'm a teacher and I'm not a perfect speller!) him being too young to have this expensive/size of a plane, to I think lectures on debt!!!!! It hurt his feelings I know, when all he was looking for was some help/support from his fellow RC'ers. This is not a good begining for a good "image". Over all not cool, can't we all just get along, and enjoy this great sport???

LOL :cry:
Old 01-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Crashem

the only time I get angry is when somebody tells me I can't play with my "toys"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Spicoli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see any problem calling it what it is.....a hobby.If your into combat,pattern,imac I guess that would be considered a sport.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Capt Jim

Oh.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Capt Jim

posted by Spicoli
I dont see any problem calling it what it is.....a hobby.If your into combat,pattern,imac I guess that would be considered a sport.

__________________________________________________ __

Does the term "politcal expedience" have any significance?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

It's a sport and a hobby.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tastes great AND it's less filling!

Whatever you call it, the problem we face is the diversity of our pastime. What I mean is this.

First, space requirements and noise mandate that we need to locate our flying fields out in the boonies, so the general public has no idea what we are doing.

Second, most peoples only exposure to model planes is through "The little gas plane that one of the neighbor kids got when he was 8." So that's what they think we are flying.

EVERY single time I have shown my planes to someone, they are absolutely blown away. Mostly by the size alone, and although I have some BIG planes, I get the same reaction to 40 ands 60 size models.

As I said in the other thread, I just avoid talking about them unless I have something to show someone because we get lumped in with the things that really ARE toy airplanes.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

On the front of my LT40 instruction manual...WARNING-THIS IS NOT A TOY.