Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

iHobby Expo 2006 - RCUniverse on the scene

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

iHobby Expo 2006 - RCUniverse on the scene

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: iHobby Expo 2006 - RCUniverse on the scene

Still with Horizon Hobby, but moving to the surface model offerings are a few cool new releases. How about a 1/18th scale Mini Baja buggy complete with paddle tires from Team Losi? This little car looks like it will be a all kinds of fun at off-road tracks or in the yard making your own track.

You say 1/18th scale is too big? That's OK, Team Losi has another diminutive release. This time it's the 1/32 scale Micro-T. Most models this size are more like toys than serious hobby vehicles but not this stadium truck. Complete with coil over friction shocks and fully proportional steering and throttle, this truck is a serious model. The Horizon Hobby people had a small track setup at their booth where it seemed one or more of these trucks were being raced or jumped all weekend.

Looking for a small onroad RTR? The ERacer Recoil looks promising. It too has a full compliment of features normally found only in larger models but at a reasonable price. They are perfect for anyone looking for an on-road car that doesn't require a large empty parking lot to setup a race track.

Sportwerks had their new 1/10th scale Raven BX buggy on display. Aimed at new offroad drivers, the Raven is fully dialed-in and ready to run straight out of the box. But don't let that fool you into thinking it will have lack luster performance. The included Sportwerks 19T motor and ESC will give other buggies a run for the money at the track or where ever you decide to have fun with it.

Oh, you prefer boats? Large boats with gasoline engines? Check out the new ProBoat Blackjack 55. This 55" catamaran is powered with a Zenoah G-26 marine engine and looks like it's begging to be raced in rough water. The running hardware is all anodized aluminum with dual servos controlling the linked dual rudders. This boat is ready to run straight out of the box. Just pop a set of fresh batteries in the transmitter and receiver, fill the gas tank and it's race time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55599.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	549657   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44508.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	549658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55851.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	549659   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54834.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	549660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17255.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	549661  
Old 10-28-2006, 12:23 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

RC Expert had their line of helicopters on hand and was kept busy by the constant throng of modelers checking out their wares.

Wingtote was also very busy showing their line of RC model protective covers. I walked past this booth at least a dozen times during the weekend and I'm not sure they had time for lunch or any other kind of break!

Dubro has their latest releases at the show including their parkflyer/slowflyer sized hardware as well as World War I style wheels in several sizes up to and including Giant Scale for the larger Balsa USA kits.

International Toy Concepts was showing off a really cool little indoor helicopter and RCU's own Michael Kranitz had to get in on the action. This is a counter-rotating dual rotor design similar to several other models available, but it is about 1/3 the size of even the smallest of those other models. In addition to that, it is only two channels with NO servos. Forward flight is controlled by the vertically mounted tail motor which causes the nose of the model to pitch up or down and induce forward flight. You will find this model available exclusively at Radio Shack.

Electronic Model Systems, EMS, had their entire product line on display. They were one of the few vendors selling at the show and I saw a lot of people carrying batteries, switches, extentions, etc., with them all weekend long.

Panther Products had a large selection of RC car wheels and tires at their booth. They have tires for on and off-road cars and trucks in all sizes and styles. They also have foams and hub adapters for 1/8th scale cars and trucks.

Truck Stop Racing had several great looking examples of their 6X6 nitro powered trucks. Not only are these trucks big, they move surprisingly fast. And as their videos showed, they handle jumps and turns surprisingly well. Plus, they look great!

Hobby Engine was displaying their line of model boats and an airplane. Boats ranged from a scale industrial tug to recreation boats and even a deep-v racing type. They also had several interesting cars and even an earth mover.

Novak had their full line of RC car electronics available for display. This was one of the few times they had time to sit back and relax.

Thunder Power had their Li-Po batteries on hand along with several models showing installation and fitment.

MS Composit had their electric airplane and helicopter models on display as well as Axi motors and Jeti ESC's they recommended for their models.

Name:	Ig13282.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	549680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71190.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	549681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80951.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	549682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80497.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	549683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38000.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	549684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34300.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	549685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87298.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	549686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml39864.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	549687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79292.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	549688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se36339.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	549689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou85827.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	549690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw90246.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	549691  
Old 10-28-2006, 01:05 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Boca Bearings was showcasing their new Green Rubber Sealed Bearings designed for long life even in dusty and dirty conditions which are usually very detrimental to bearings. Also present were the other lines of high quality bearings for all model applications including their ceramic bearings.

Parma had a very colorful setup with lots of bodies and other car related items. If you wanted to see how the pros paint car bodies, they had demo's running all weekend long showing all step of the process from prep. masking, painting and even texturing the paint for a truly one of a kind finish.

Castle Creations was demonstrating their products. Yes, that kid sized car sporting dubs was powered RC with Castle's own electronics providing the motivation. That little girl was ready to jump in and head out the door!

CEN Racing had many different models on display. Their booth was so much larger than it appears here but I couldn't get it all in the frame!

Traxxas had a large display area for their car, truck and boat models. They also had a demo track in which they brought in several truck loads of dirt for a true off-road yet indoor demonstration area. In true Traxxas fashion, they offered the opportunity to anyone who wanted to drive one of their cars to see for themselves how well they handled.

Sig had a nice looking display with both Sig and Kavan models on hand. Sig showcased two new ARF biplanes at this years show. The first is the Sun Dancer 50 which is a smaller version of their popular giant scale Sun Dancer which has been out for a while. The second is their new 1/6th scale Waco SRE. This is probably the first time this fine looking model has been produced as an ARF. It looked very nice indeed!

Hitec/Multiplex was on hand to provide information about any of their radio gear or RC models.

Power Racing displayed their full line of RC car accessories and hop-ups.

Kondor Model Product, KMP, displayed several great looking models including their F-7F Tigercat twin, and Hawker Typhoon and several others. Also on display there were the RCS line of 4-stroke glow engines.

And last we see Axial Racing. They had a great looking display of their ever expanding line of RC car engines, tires, wheels, bodies and accessories. Their products are very well engineered and have extremely high quality, but you won't have to take out a mortgage on the house to afford them.

Over all the 2006 iHobby Expo appeared by all counts to be a great success. With luck I'll have the opportunity to go again next year. These shows are always a great place to see what's just been released or about to be released. It's also fun to meet up with friends and catch up on what they have been doing since the last show.

Till next time ...

Name:	Wu62284.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	549727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62268.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	549728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35070.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	549729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35143.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	549730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94912.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	549731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16412.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	549732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21343.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	549733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv72874.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	549734  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih74062.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	549735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr80196.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	549736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek51420.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	549737  
Old 10-28-2006, 02:49 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Great coverage, John! Just like being there
Old 10-28-2006, 04:41 AM
outlawmaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[8D]
Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for all the great photos! Many of the new planes I had heard about coming but the Sig 1/6 Waco SRE is a surprise to me and is big news! It's gorgeous!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Thank you all for the kind words. The show was a lot of fun. The Sig Waco SRE caught me by surprise too. So much so that I had to do a double take. It looked even nicer up close. I hope to see one at the LHS soon.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
AWDrift

what.... no cool aftermarket products. I dont know, i was expecting more of a photo gallery i guess.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

There were lots of aftermarket parts and accessories. What type of models are you in to? Was there a specific manufacturer you were hoping to see that I missed?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

OK, in my 10 years as a member/moderator with RCO/RCU this was the finest thread on a model show that I can remember, ever.
Sincerely well done, thank you.

FWIW I know just how much time and organized effort it takes to get the proper press release info matched to the correct photos.

KUDOS to a monster effort!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Thank you Mike. The show was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing more of these in the future. My notes sometimes became a bit jumbled here and there, but I'm pretty sure I got them straight in the end
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM
SIM2U
Banned

Nice info and reletively well formatted, thanks for the nice pics...Kudos there.