Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lets bragg a little 65+

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets bragg a little 65+

Started model avition in 1940s what a great sport. Joined the Civil Air Patrol 1949 had 400 hrs flying time when i was 18yrs0ld Pvt. ticket 1970. Love the air.solod in 8 hrs.been flying RC all the time . Work with youngh people at flying sight give instruction on RCair craft When ever I am needed or ask. I do the the things the old way.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:05 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

RC Outlaw

Sounds like You have every right to Bragg a little"
Keep up the great work and efforts, someone may look back one day and have You to thank for a great position in life.

Hats off to Ya

Dan Z.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:52 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Flew my first gas powered model in 1954, firebaby U/C thanks to a great step-dad, been modeling ever since. soloed at age 16 Cessna 172 at Santa Monica airport, been kicking myself for not staying with it. Had the chance to fly Helicopters in the Army, turned it down, dumb, became a sniper instead, dumber!!! Worked at NASA for awhile (Edwards AFB) and got to meet a lot of famous flyers, Neil Armstrong, Swiggert, Bill Dana, Fitz Fulton, Chuck Yeager and Scott crossfield, and was in heaven being around all those planes, lifting bodies and the YF-12. Would go to Taft CA every year for the F/F nationals and got to meet and know Carl Goldberg, true gentleman and kept in touch with him till his death, flew against and knew Jack Stafford and still in touch with him to this day. Darn as I look back I have been pretty lucky and blessed and it's because of this hobby!
Old 01-19-2003, 07:25 AM
WORNBOOTS

GrnBrt

Taft? down the road from the phone company about three miles, turn right into field cross little trickel of a creek when it was not raining. And hop on the trail 90 or 70 to chase the plane down.

I had a good freind that worked out at Edwards in the area of lifting body development, He lived in Barstow and was a permanent fixture in the bowling alley, He had a big hand in the youth groups in town. One heck of a nice guy, and allways drove a little tiny car. walked with a skght hunch, We talked for hours about planes and engines.

And Mojave was another thing, Did you ever go to Chuck's hangars to see all His (toys)

Between both You guy's there is a lot of bragging going on,

Let's hear more"

Dan Z
Old 01-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can brag a bit also. Started rubber band modeling in 1937, and flew my first gas model in 1941 - a Comet " Zipper" powered by an Ohlsson 23. Was included in the top 500 modelers worldwide with an invitation to fly in the 1948 Plymouth 2nd. International Model Airplane contest. Started into radio control in 1957 and have flown most everything since - single channel, reeds, analog proportional, and digital proportional. Highlight - in 1975 designed a 1/4 scale Bristol Scout, first powered by two Webra speed 61's geared together - then switched to a converted Roper industrial engine - then heard of a guy that had flown a model with a gasoline engine in Edmunton - Canada. Turned out to be Ron Schettler, and from him I obtained the very first Quadra 35 engine sold in the US. Immediately became a Quadra dealer - and sold hundreds of them before others came onto the scene. I designed and kitted the 1/4 scale Ercoupe and Tomahawk and the only other 1/4 scale kit was the Concept Fleet. I design one new model every year - my current fleet consists of five 1/3 scale airplanes - Piper J-3 Cub, Piper J4-E Cub Coupe, Ercoupe, Bristol Scout, Aeronca Sedan, and a 30% Stinston SR-10. Currently designing and building a 40% J-3 Cub (14.5 ft. span) for 100 cc engines. I am a club officer in the Highlands Radio Control Club. I have a lifetime supply of balsa, so as I design the airplanes listed above, I make kits and give them away "free" to others in our club to build. Since moving to Sebring, 8 years ago, we have built a total of 54 big airplanes from kits that I have provided. That alone is worth bragging about. You might conclude that I do enjoy the hobby.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 PM
WORNBOOTS

I don't want to seem mushy here, But You Guy's are what the hobby is all about.

The early involvment into Models, the fine balance of real life agendas and the Taking The Time To Share, I hope that all of you and others not Yet posted are truely respected.

I personally enjoy reading this Thread, mainly because it is what I have been interested in since a child. I have made no big splashes but I have taught a few to fly rc, and I have built balsa planes since I was 6. I am now 45 and have decided to finally go for the most I can in this Hobby I truely enjoy. But I will always try to share it with others.

Thank's Guys,

Dan Z
Old 01-20-2003, 03:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First flew U/C in '59. Learned to fly my dad's single channel escapments in the early 60's. Graduated to "Reeds" then "Propotional" in the late 60's. Flew Junior Div. Pattern in my teens. Spent 4 yrs working on Navy Aircraft. Trained in FS sailplanes and power planes, but never got certified. Left the hobby when the ex-wife decided she'd rather eat. Dumped her and spent 6 yrs working on Air Force C-5 Galaxy's, where I got the bug again ('88) and have been flying steadily ever since)
Old 01-21-2003, 06:45 AM
WORNBOOTS

Ok I have to ask, What is the most memorable moment(s) that had the biggest impression?

I remember the first time I went to an RC field, My RC mentor a professor at Manatee Jr. Collage at the time, (I was 11-12 then) drove into the area of the flying Field, There was a plane hanging from the overhead wires. And while I was there looking at all the planes and walking down the row of pilots someone yelled lookout" and Splat not 15' away from Me. I hate to see any one loose a plane, but I was not sure if they knew how to fly or not.

But RC then was a risky thing, The had kraft radios and nice aircraft but I was not sure I wanted to do it then because of that plane that crashed. But as I learned more and starting crashing Myself, I finally got as good at crashing.

But that was the most memorable, I will allways remember My first trip to the field, and I sure wish I could tell the Professor how much of a difference it made in My life.

Dan Z
Old 01-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Grampaw

Hey Wornboots, your talking about crashing brought back some memories of learning to fly back when proportional control came on the scene. It was just the two of us out in the pasture every Saturday and Sunday afternoon tossing them into the air and learning to benefit from our mistakes to keep 'em up a little longer each time. We got really good at repairs. One night after I had been home from the 'field" about 45 minutes the phone rang. It was my flying buddy, and he asked "Do you have any repairs to do on your plane?" I answered "No, why?" He replied with a laugh "Me neither! We must be getting better!" and hung up. We had made it to another level, and it was a good feeling. That was a long time ago.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:24 AM
WORNBOOTS

Grampaw

LOL" I can relate to the accomplishment, But what a great feeling.

I was self taught, but I spent $20 here and $20 there on all the crash/recovery planes I could get. and the learning curve was great for the Ambroid cement company. The first successful solo was with a Trainermaster, Out in in the middle of the dry lake.
But I was all by myself, and no one was telling Me " LEFT RIGHT NO UP NO NO UP" and I went home with it in one piece.

Dan Z
Old 01-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Sands

This has been one of the most enjoyabe threads to read. I love history and those who can tell us about it because they lived it. Please tell us more. The only problem with this thread is it is too short. I grew up getting my grandpa to talk about his past that included fighting on the front lines for Gen. Patton during WWII.
I still remember the stories so include a few stories if you guys don't mind and have the time.
Ron Summers
P.S. It also lets some of us who read many of your posts to get some insight about the authors.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Grampaw

Hi Sands,
I am glad I too found this site as it gives me a great deal of pleasure to read and respond to posts of others of my age and experiences. When I lost the flying buddy that started out with me in the "old days," I found myself the oldest member of the group and realized I had no one left that I could talk "Piper Cub" with. The other members, being younger had not gone through what we did building, flying and repairing, again and again to learn to fly our planes. The younger ones don't build from kits and I don't know too much about ARFs, but since the end result is flying, it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to be asked for advice now and then.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Sands

Grampaw,
I love to build and I for one am very thankful for the insights you guys have that help us to enjoy the hobby more. Here's a conversation starter that I bet others would like to hear about, what were kits like back in the 50's and 60's ? And glue for that matter. When I was a kid I would go nuts trying to hold stuff together while I waited for it to dry. How about you ?
Ron
Old 01-21-2003, 02:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my fondest memories is of my first take off. I don't even remember how old I was, but I would guess about 12 or so. I was flying a Goldberg Sr Falcon, and after taxiing out to the runway, my dad and I walked out behind the plane. I held the transmitter (this was pre buddy-box days), advanced the throttle, kept her straight and she rose off the ground with a nice level climb. As I started my first turn, all the guys at the field started to applaud.

Still flying the plane, I said to my dad, "Gee, that's embarrassing". My dad said, "There's nothing embarrassing about it, you just took a major step. You DESERVE applause!".

I'll never forget that, and to this day, I make a point of applauding any major accomplishment made by a rookie.

PS My dad is now 82 and burns more fuel in a week then I do all summer!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Jim Messer

A most lasting impression: It had to be in 1948 at the 2nd. International Plymouth meet. I saw my first radio controlled model fly - piloted by Walt Good and his helper Bill. I had just graduated from high school, and I can honestly say - I did not understand how a model could be controlled by radio waves! I was really impressed, and nine years later, I was into R/C myself.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:30 AM
WORNBOOTS

We need more stories"

I cant go to the 50's but in 64-65 I was waiting every weekend to go to the hobby shop, Thats when I starting buying stick wood and tissue paper. I was the son of a carpenter and wood was a natural. my first attempt was a catalina, the picture was in the encyclopedia that I used. But when I tried to take it outside I broke the wings trying to get thru the screen door.
Everything was possible then.

what was the loss rate when the reeds and escapements were around?

Dan Z
Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 PM
mr2ears
My Feedback: (18)

IN RE: MinnFlyer and the Goldberg Sr. Falcon. My first RC in 1993 was the Sr. Falcon. Loved it. I built/flew/crashed several UCs in the mid 50s, most memorable of which was the Pitts "Little Stinker." Did the usual growing up stuff, wife, kids, jobs, moves, and didn't return to modeling till 10 years ago. Lots of changes in 40 years.

I finally totaled the above mentioned Falcon in 1999. When a local member sold me an inherited kit for $40 last fall, I was ecstatic. Built it, (modified wing dihedral) flew great till the wing broke off, and totally destroyed it.

(WornBoots, I think you helped me bring home the pieces from the NDRCC field, unless there's another Dan in the club. I never did find the wing)

I tried to locate another Falcon, but the closest I came was one on EBAY that went for $263. I decided to take a leap of faith and using the plans, scratch built a new one. Finished last week, and waiting for warmer weather (it's 18 degrees here this morning) to try it again.

Incidentally, the box on the latest one I bought had a price of $56.95, and called for a .35 to .45 engine, with 9 to 10 channels. Instructions said "an expert flier might use a .60. I have an OS 61FX. Sandy
Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 PM
WORNBOOTS

Mr2ears/Sandy

(WornBoots, I think you helped me bring home the pieces from the NDRCC field, unless there's another Dan in the club. I never did find the wing)

Not Me, I was just moving here then (10/99) from the California Desert area's. But I have been to the field to check it out, not the new one.

The Falcon 56 was one of my favorites, But after being out of the hobby for awhile I am not sure of the differences in the 56 or the SR. I do have plans for the Falcon III but have not looked them over. But the 56 was an enjoyable airplane.

Why do we always come back to the hobby?
Dan Z
Old 01-23-2003, 07:44 PM
mr2ears

WornBoots, you misinterpreted me. I lost the previous Falcon in Oregon in 1999. Moved to Plano in Nov. 2001, and crashed my second Falcon at the Warren field in the fall of 2002.

Sandy
Old 01-23-2003, 07:56 PM
WORNBOOTS

Sandy

I did not catch the "last fall" part of second kit, But I got it now.

I am still trying to figure out the 9-10 channels? But I mainly build 40 size, and have just started thinking larger due to eyesight.

I hope to meet You oneday,
Dan Z
Old 01-23-2003, 09:59 PM
mr2ears

WornBoots,

One of the "Old Guys" told me the 9-10 channels had to do with the old Reed transmitters/receivers. A different channel for each function I guess.

Sandy.

P.S., I generally hit the new field on Tuesdays, (weather permitting) and fly with the Olde Fartes Group. Rest of the time it's Warren Field whenever we have a nice day.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Jim Messer

To Dan Z:

When reed systems came into being, in the early 60's, they were 8, 10, or 12 channels. I had an Orbit 12 channel system, but only used eight. It required one channel for each operation - like left rudder, another for right rudder, one for up elev., and one for down elev., etc. The transmitter had three toggle switches on each side of it. Your right hand toggled the elevator and aileron, whereas the left hand toggled the rudder and throttle. You either had full up or full down, full left or full right - there was no in-between unless you toggled the switches so that they would never get to their full positions. To fly an airplane well, you had to be very busy - your fingers were flipping the respective switches as fast as you could - and there was no simultaneous for each side of the transmitter. For example, you could toggle rudder and elevator together at the same time, (right hand and left hand) but you could not toggle aileron and elevator at the same time - you simply didn't have enough fingers to do so. I am attaching a photo of my old Taurus, 1963, that used a reed system. Note the transmitter with the switches - not too good of a photo, but it's all I have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49709_3061.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	29956  
Old 01-24-2003, 02:09 AM
mr2ears

Thanks Jim. This is the first time the reed system was ever explained to me. I have enough problems with my new digital Futaba that I can't imagine having to deal with all the other stuff you did back then. Incidentally, nice plane.

Sandy (mr2ears2)
Old 01-24-2003, 02:26 AM
WORNBOOTS

Jim

Thank You for the explanation, I was unsure as to the operation.
Man that must of been somthing to learn, and to try to compete on top of it. I have read and seen the older systems but I think You sumed up a whole lot in just Your short discription.

The Taurus looks great, You still have it? (I imported the pic' and brightened it up, The Trans looks like it weighs a lot, but I dont think I could handle all the switch toggeling)

Thank's
Dan Z (Sandy I will try to make it some Tuesday" if Im old enuf)
Old 01-24-2003, 02:45 AM
Tippie

I think I'm too young for this thread but here goes. I won't be 65 until September so can I get in? I started "playing" with toy airplanes back in the early 50's with U-Control Cox airplanes. Never mastered that. I always got dizzy after about 6 circles and crashed. Built Guillows kits for a lot of years but my young fingers weren't too careful and usually ended up with a bunch of sticks glued together with tissue and dope covering. Loved that dope, could make sugar plums dance in your head. Got into RC right at the beginning of proportional radio's. Had a little "galloping ghost" equipment but no radio. After hanging around the old hobby shop in Council Bluffs, Ia, "Pee Wees" got more interest in RC. Met a new friend, Jim Simpson, (now deceased) he was a Captain in the AF and was my mentor. Right up until his death Jim was a contributing editor to just about every model airplane magazine published. Jim and I started a contest for "Falcon '56" airplanes and that contest went for quite a number of years. Carl Goldberg and his dear wife, Beth were in attendance every year. The greatest people you could ever meet. Through the contest years other RC pioneers were there, Jerry Krause (EK Radio), Jerry Nelson, Hazel Sigafose, Maxey Hester (now husband and wife) and on a rare occasion, Glen Sigafose. A little side note. Hazel and Maxey were always at contests together, nothing bad about that because Maxey worked for Sig. But, anyway, I always thought Hazel and Maxey were brother and sister. Then a few years after Glen was killed in his Pitts at an airshow, Hazel and Maxey got married. I thought that can't be true, its against the law isn't it? HA Back to the story, Jim Simpson got me to enter the National Soaring Contest in Chicago the first year I learned to fly RC. Met Col Bob Thacker then since he flew into Omaha (SAC), hitched a ride on a AF plane, and rode with us to Chicago. Met Paul Harvey there when he came through the site. Over the years was fortunate to rub elbows with some notables. One more thing, while at the soaring contest in Chicago, I loaned one of my radios to Sid Axlerod (Topflite). He kind of disappeared with it and each time I saw him I asked if he was finished using it. He said, "Do you thing I'm not going to give it back to you?" to which I replied, "Wwweeellll, YYYEEESSS". I think I P****D him off. Enough said. Any more stories. You need to get a word from "bigmax1935" I'm sure he can tell a few tales.

Marv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.