Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flight Safety

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flight Safety

The following occured at one of my local flying fields,,,

Sunday, December 1st, after the Toys for Kids event at the field, a flyer was flying his electric airplane over in the hand launch/helicopter area. After he landed the airplane out in the grass, he ran out to pick it up without announcing his intentions. A helicopter flying low struck him in the head with the rotor blades causing severe lacerations around his eye. The injured person staggered for awhile and then fell to the ground. Several people ran to his aid including our new club president, Steven Sahagian.

They administered first aid and were able to control the bleeding somewhat until the paramedics arrived. Fortunately for the injured person, his eye was not hurt. The paramedics thanked Steven for his quick actions and said he did all the right things to help the victim. This accident was very serious and could have been catastrophic causing a blinding or even death. It is just another reminder that safety is the primary concern in the pursuit of our hobby.

Be SAFE out there!

BV
Old 01-21-2003, 10:31 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flight Safety

Wow, thats scary!! Sounds lucky he will be OK, those blade are MOVING
Old 01-21-2003, 10:56 PM
Bill Vargas

Default Very Lucky!

JVH, YES he was very lucky,,, the blades struck him below the eye on the cheek and on the eye brow.

BV
Old 01-21-2003, 11:32 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Safety

This is one of those things that should never happen. We should all be PREACHING to the ones we teach about this sort of thing. It is bad enough to see someone lose a plane or heli, but for something like this to happen, well I just don't know what to say.

I know it could happen to anyone of us, but if we practice what we (should be) preach, then it becomes a habbit.

I hope WE ALL LEARN from this one!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 07:58 PM
hookedonrc

Default Flight Safety

I am new to RC Flying (May 2002) and have seen this at my own field. I have been instructed to announce my intention to take off or land verbally and wait to see if anyone holds me off. Three weeks ago I saw a senior flyer (no offense intended) and another member almost lose both aircraft. One taxiing out a Cap 232 (big one, remember I am still new) and the other member landing (or doing a touch and go). The only thing that saved both aircraft was a kill switch on the CAP. It is everyone's responsibility to keep the flying ettiquette continuing. Not just us newbies that have just come on board. Side Comment: I have met more great people in this hobby/sport than in any other.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Flight Safety

Mr Vargas,

Thank you for posting this story. As Safety Officer for our club, I am loging this in my memory. As an instructor I've noticed that the main temptation of students is to run out and get a plane when it lands. I tell them not to even think about it. I am not allowing anyone except pilots out of the pits.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:34 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Flight Safety

I'm president of my local club and our members look at me like I'm jerk when I repremand them for not calling out. I printed this story and am going to hang it in the club house
Old 01-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Bill Vargas

Default Flight Safety

G, your welcomed

Its a sad and true event. Whats unfortunate about this event is that this person got hurt really bad. Whats really a bummer is when mishaps and accidents such as this cause people to think about Safety.

I'm willing to bet,,, that if the word "Safety" was posted on club bulletin boards, Mishaps and Accidents would decrease!

BV
Old 01-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Flyfalcons

Default Flight Safety

Wow, posting this at the club field, wish I had thought of that! I'll be doing the same.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Flight Safety

I'm going to frame it in orange so no one misses it.