Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Corrosion & After Run Oil

Old 08-07-2002, 01:43 PM
GIFLYRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion & After Run Oil

I RECENTLY HAD A REAR BEARING FAILURE ON AN OS 91 SURPASS FOUR STROKE ENGINE, BECAUSE OF CORROSION. THE ENGINE IS ABOUT 8 YRS OLD AND HAS ABOUT 10 GAL. OF FUEL RUN THROUGH IT.

A SET OF NEW BEARINGS COST OVER $36 AT THE LHS.

OBVIOUSLY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING AFTER RUN OIL INSTEAD OF JUST RELYING ON RUNNING THE FUEL OUT [DRY]

AND NOW THE QUESTIONS?

1. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PUT THE AFTER RUN OIL IN THE ENGINE?
2. HOW MUCH SHOULD I USE?
3. SHOULD I HAVE LOCKED THE BARN DOOR BEFORE THIS??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THIS

ROGER
Old 08-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On 4 strokes, you need to put it in thru the crankcase breather nipple; use at least a half teaspoon or oil or more. After putting it in, turn the prop over a few times as you hold the engine in all attitudes to get the oil into all the front and rear bearings. Now put a few drops in the top end, either thru the exhaust port or carb throat and turn over again a few times. You can use any good AIR TOOL oil or Rislone (in the yellow container) for a less expensive oil than you get at the local hobby store.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:25 AM
Al Stein

What kind of oil's in your fuel?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:53 AM
GIFLYRC

I'M RUNNING WILDCAT 2 & 4 STROKE FUEL THAT IS 18% TOTALLY SYNTHETIC OIL.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT I ADD AN OUNCE OF CASTOR OIL PER GALLON FOR ADDED PROTECTION

IS THAT GOOD ADVICE? I GUESS THAT IT COULDN'T HURT OTHER THAN PRODUCING MORE SMOKE

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLIES.
ROGER
Old 08-08-2002, 09:08 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will get many conflicting opinions on whether or not to use castor oil. In my opinion, at least some castor in you fuel is good insurance against lean runs. Some people claim that this causes 4 strokes to carbon up but my experiece dictates otherwise; i.e. no worse than all synthetic. I prefer to take Clarence Lee's advice over most others and I believe he advocates at least some castor.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Al Stein

I'd always been told to use at least part castor as well because of the magical coating it leaves inside the engine. So maybe I do fine with the straight Marvel Mystery oil because of that, but who knows. I know that castor oil can make a mess of the outside of the engine, but I've never found it unbearable and I do like to keep things looking good.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:04 PM
GIFLYRC

I GOT THE ENGINE ALL BACK TOGETHER AND IT SOUNDS & RUNS BETTER THAN IT HAS FOR A LONG TIME

TOP END HUMS AND IDLE IS SMOOTH AND SLO-O-O-W!

I ADDED AN OUNCE OF CASTOR TO MY NEW GALLON OF FUEL. IT RAISES THE OIL CONTENT FROM 18% to 18.6%. [NOT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT]

I'D RATHER CLEAN OFF SLIME THAN METAL SHAVINGS!

ROGER