Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

4-Stroke Equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 04:02 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After-run oil substitute

I was wondering if it is possible to use normal car 4-stroke lubricant or motorbike 2-stroke lubricant or automatic transmission fluid as a substitute for after-run engine oil for my OS46FX and OS61FX engines? Appreciate comments on this and other good choices of after-run oils...........

Old 08-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4-Stroke Equivalent

The transmittion fluid should be okay. Also Rislone (the one in the yellow container) or any air tool oil is okay. Rislone is probably the least expensive and one of the best.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:01 AM
rajul

Hi Rodney. It seems many people seem to advocate transmission oil. May I know what is special about it compared to other oils ? Thanks.............
Old 08-01-2002, 11:05 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use transmission fluid anymore. I had some that ate up the O-ring around my carb barrel. I'd suggest the MArvel Mystery oil.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:13 PM
rajul

Basically Marvel Mystery Oil is an automotive engine treatment that you add into your gas. Has anyone tried other types of engine treatment like Bardahl, Rislone, etc ? Thanks.........
Old 08-02-2002, 08:04 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While Marvel Mystry oil is better than nothing, it is not very good. Now Marvel Mystry Air Tool oil is good. It has the necessary ingrediants to ward off the damage of moisture which the plain Mystry oil does not have. Remember, what you are trying to do is to displace the residue of the fuel products, especially any nitro that might be there. use at least a teaspoon full in the crankcase and tilt and turn the engine while turning over the prop to get the oil all around the front and rear bearings, especially in the 4 strokes where it must be injected into the breather hole to be effective; putting it only in the carb or exhaust does not do the job on 4 strokes.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:06 AM
traskos

Heed what Rodney says. After many years of 2 cycle model experience I have found Marvel Air Tool oil the best. It is a different product then the Mystery Oil which is an ehgine oil additive.

Dave
Old 08-08-2002, 06:40 AM
Al Stein

RE: the air tool oil, I hear what you're saying, but I still have a question having used straight-up Marvel Mystery Oil for years without a problem...

Granted, their air tool oil is better on paper, but could you fill me in on what problems you've had using the regular stuff? I'd like to change if people are having problems that I haven't had yet, but I prefer to base the decision on experience.