Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Battle Bots and Aircraft Radios

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Battle Bots and Aircraft Radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Flying Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle Bots and Aircraft Radios

I don't know if any one was watching Tech T.V. last night, but a guy was on there showing people what goes int a battle bot.
This guy uses aircraft radios and did'nt mind saying that.
This could really screw us up if we are flying in an area where someone is building these things....... Just a thought
Old 01-26-2003, 03:57 AM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Hopefully they are converting them over to the ground frequencies.... but I wouldn't count on it. Maybe they have rules where the radios have to be on the ground frequencies before they can compete.

Also, most of those events are probably held inside steel buildings...which hopefully traps most of the signal inside the steel shell... but I'm no electronic guru... so I don't really know if it does or not.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:46 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba says that to do a battling robot you need to be on 75mhz and using PCM. They sell the 9C with a 75mhz module, and I'm willing to bet that they've spoken with the battling bot shows.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Unstable

The rules for battlebots state that all radios must comply with FCC rules regarding ground frequencies. they wont let you compete with a radio on aircraft frequency.

that doesnt rule out the "backyard" hobbiests that think its cool and build there own "bot" though.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:02 AM
mvigod
Banned

Those should be on 75mhz. Matter of fact I have a 75mhz Futaba 6XAS NIB with 8ch PCM rx and 2 servos. This type of thing was made for battlebots or other ground based stuff...I don't have any battlebots so if anyone wants to buy it lmk...
Old 01-27-2003, 07:58 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

I have read discussions where people were being required to change to ground from air frequencies and were complying. I believe it's pretty well happened.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:06 PM
jetranger-RCU

Default Radios

I saw a web site some where that Fut and JR will sponser the people who did the Battle Bots, if you wanted you could make out forms and apply for sponsership
Old 01-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Cactus.

if you get shot down by a bot you stand a slim chance of damaging anything but the plane.
now imagine some guy leaning over his cutter/flipper/spike and you hit the throttle :stupid: :surprised :spinnyeye :bananahea :spinnyeye :cry:
Then again, i've seen the US version of our one.. nothing too powerful out there
Old 01-27-2003, 03:05 PM
r1morris

For competition I'm sure they use the right frequency. What scares me is the person that has an older radio and uses it.
I have seen kids use an air radio on an R/C car.
Doesn't take to much imagination to figure a guy would pick up a used computer radio for his new battling plane crasher.

Frequency what frequency I don't need no stinking frequency
Old 01-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Dzlstunter

Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky. In the UK they have a problem with fishermen using aircraft frequencies on remote piloted boats which position baits for them. Apparently these were being sold by small businesses which took little note of the frequency assignments for surface vehicles.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:09 PM
RLDIII

I was very concerned myself the first time I saw them using what appeared to be an "aircraft" radio in battlebots. I have also seen movie special effects folks working robotic monsters and such, with similar looking radios. However, when I was recently approached by a co-worker who was building a "battlebot, I checked with our local hobby shop, and they had no problem ordering him a 9 channel PCM Futaba on 75 mhtz GROUND frequency (got it in a week!). It seems that at least in the case of Futaba, they have no problem supplying the more advanced radios with the proper ground frequency. Now, if only there was some way we could ASSURE that everyone USES the correct radio for the correct application....!