Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

My wife thinks I'm a nerd

Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
fresnoflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife thinks I'm a nerd

Hey, doe's anyone else's wife think your a nerd. I must admit there is something about this hobby that seems to attract wierd people. But I don't think I'm one of them of course.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:23 PM
meaden

Default RE: My wife thinks I'm a nerd

Yes, but she also thinks there is worse trouble I could be getting into. So she supports my addiction...uh...hobby...
Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Bruno Stachel

Yep, my wife once called out as I went out the door, "There goes Daddy to fly his planes with the other airplane geeks!"[sm=49_49.gif]
Well, she could have done worse.[sm=kiss.gif]
Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell her that it keeps you home in the evenings and out of the bar's. My wife is the oppisite, she comes to the flying field with us. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 PM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: Bruno Stachel

Yep, my wife once called out as I went out the door, "There goes Daddy to fly his planes with the other airplane geeks!"[sm=49_49.gif]
What would she rather you were doing?
Drinking, Golfing, Fishing, NASCAR?

There is a level of insanity to each of these events - pick your poison.

More to the point; let HER pick a different poison for you... [X(]

Quilting doesn't count!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
livindead

my wife said im not smart enough to be a nerd...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife's described me in several "colorful" ways, but nerd hasn't yet been used. When our family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) were putting together their Christmas wish list over Thanksgiving, my wife told them "Well, he's still flying airplanes", like I was sitting in a sandbox with a stick, making p-t-p-t-p-t-p-t-p-t-p-t sounds . I wonder what "Santa" will bring?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Bruno Stachel

ORIGINAL: bbbair

ORIGINAL: Bruno Stachel

What would she rather you were doing?
Drinking, Golfing, Fishing, NASCAR?

There is a level of insanity to each of these events - pick your poison.

More to the point; let HER pick a different poison for you... [X(]

Quilting doesn't count!
Honestly, she really is ok with the hobby. She knows it's something I really enjoy and that it help's me blow off some steam. I'm smart enough to keep my priorities straight, and take care of what needs to be taken care of before I do anything RC related. But occasionally she likes to make me feel as if I'm sitting in the sand box too! LOL khodges, I'm wondering what Santa's bringing too.[&:]
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fresnoflyer

Hey, doe's anyone else's wife think your a nerd.

Not even close! Mine things I'm an ***** If the entire value of your R/C hobby is worth more than the ring on her finger, your in deep "kimche" jack!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife complained, until she noticed how much my girlfriend enjoyed the time at the field, and working on planes...[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 PM
livindead

foodstick....well played...now thats funny
Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 AM
flyfisher431

Mine supports my hobby.... addiction..... obsession. As a mater of fact she likes to fly electric heli so there is no need to get a girlfriend that likes to go to the field with me, also much healthier since she grew up on a farm and knows how a bull becomes a steer. [sm=omg_smile.gif] Santa is brining a new GP P-6E Hawk, as a matter of fact to save the trouble he dropped it off early but momma wrapped it up and said I can't have it till Christmas.Well I'll just have to work on the Hanger 9 p-51 PTS arf, or the GP fun force Hellcat or the funforce zero, or maybe the CMP Hellcat or or or.... No sweetie I still need a 12 channel programable radio to equal the rock in that ring....[sm=angel_smile.gif]
Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
AMA234

Hey, doe's anyone else's wife think your a nerd. I must admit there is something about this hobby that seems to attract wierd people. But I don't think I'm one of them of course.

Nope, just yours! Naw just kidding. My wife couldn't care less about this hobby except for how much it costs.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:01 AM
jettstarblue

Hunched over a computer at 6 am responding to a bunch of posts by a bunch of nerdy geeks.

Digging through a box of lightweight balsa sticks just to find the "perfect piece". Reading and understanding plans, and working with some kinda glue that is only know to us nerds for the most part.

Looking in specialty catalogs for really esoteric stuff that can only be used by a nerd such as myself.

"Designing" your own object of lust, just to have it perform "not as well as I expected", but still loving every minute of it.

Knowing every minute detail about something that no one else in the room ever heard of, or gives a rats azz about.

No, no nerds here.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I support our family as a DBA/Developer...prior to that, I supported it teaching other people how to be DBA's. Heck, my wife an I MET in a computer lab for chrissakes. She's known I'm a geek/nerd for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

She's awesome though...her response to any new plane I bring home is "That's nice."...she's even actually LIKED a couple of them.

Of course, the fact that I support my hobby with poker winnings and not paychecks probably helps.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heck, I was a nerd and a geek back in high school in the 70's before it was popular, then right through college. She knew what I was when she married me (we met in Avaition Club); and I'm not doing anything different now than I did when we dated. In fact, I'm not doing anything now I didn't when I was 12 except drive a car to work. Is that sad or what?

I'm an accountant. Flying R/C is the closest thing to "cool" that I do in any case.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.
I'm an accountant. Flying R/C is the closest thing to "cool" that I do in any case.

I ALMOST wish i was an accountant just to steal that line. That oughta be your sig, Charlie. Priceless!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
JustErik

Hey! I AM an accountant! Can I steal that line???
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
MinnFlyer

If my wife called me a nerd, I would just say "This is who I am. I can't help it. But YOU had a choice and married me anyway"

Then I would just razz her as I headed out to the field

"You married a ner-erd
Neener neener neener
Heh heh heh, What a DOPE!"

Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: JustErik

Hey! I AM an accountant! Can I steal that line???
With my blessing.

But I get a 20% royalty for any proceeds generated from it's commercial use.

(I am an accountant, after all. )
Old 12-13-2006, 03:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

If my wife called me a nerd, I would just say "This is who I am. I can't help it. But YOU had a choice and married me anyway"

Then I would just razz her as I headed out to the field

"You married a ner-erd
Neener neener neener
Heh heh heh, What a DOPE!"

Mike,
Now this is getting scary! Because I say the same thing to my wife!!!!

Ken
Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
donhef

Mine still treats me like a kid, so I guess nerd would go with that. But she does support me in the hobby. She even takes the Tower Catalogue to do my Christmas wish list. So, I'm a nerd.....and proud of it. And if any of you have ever been picked on, put off,..(sorry, the end scene from Revenge of the Nerds started to flash back!)
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: ama234

My wife couldn't care less about this hobby except for how much it costs.
You sure got that right. Mine complained loudly every time I brought home a new plane or kit until I compared what my planes cost compared to how much a season's worth of hay, and trimming and shoeing her horses every six weeks, plus the year's worth of vet bills added up to, and the fact that I had more planes at the end of that year, and she still had only two horses.

She knows flying is my outlet to "let off steam" and relax, keeps me off the streets and out of the bars
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Mr. Mugen

Mine is slowly learning that when she ticks me off I go shopping for r/c. I tell her that each model is a reminder of how many times she ticked me off....lol. She is a great gal though. She never asks "how much" or "why", heck she works in the same building as our LHS. Yesterday I called her at work and asked her to pick up my fuselage that was waiting at the LHS for me and she did and even paid for it and didn't ask for reimbursement. I am keeping her forever. She is at ever one of my races cheering me on and goes to the field to fly every chance she gets. I wish she would take part in the building process but hey, what she does now is good enough for me. She is calling me now...gotta go.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
AMA234

quote:

Hey, doe's anyone else's wife think your a nerd.

Not even close! Mine things I'm an ***** If the entire value of your R/C hobby is worth more than the ring on her finger, your in deep "kimche" jack!

< Message edited by Cyclic Hardover -- 12/12/2006 9:21:29 PM >
-----------------------------------------
ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: ama234

My wife couldn't care less about this hobby except for how much it costs.
You sure got that right. Mine complained loudly every time I brought home a new plane or kit until I compared what my planes cost compared to how much a season's worth of hay, and trimming and shoeing her horses every six weeks, plus the year's worth of vet bills added up to, and the fact that I had more planes at the end of that year, and she still had only two horses.

She knows flying is my outlet to "let off steam" and relax, keeps me off the streets and out of the bars

Well, I guess I'm pretty well screwed because the first ain't true and we don't have any horses! She does however have two pets, a dog and a cat....but they seem to love me more though...[] Yep, I'm screwed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.