Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why do we fight like school girls over this?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why do we fight like school girls over this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Why do we fight like school girls over this?

Hi guys,

As I was driving to work this morning, my girlfriend was asking me why I'm always worked up over these jets? I never got into so many "heated" debates when I use to fly props. I remember I'd occasionally get into some discussions but I wouldn't get PO'd as much as I do now...

Do you think that we modelers are more arguementative? Do you think that we subset of modelers that post on online forums, are in particular more likely to get involved in "heated" debates??

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot the psychology of us!

Raf
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why do we fight like school girls over this?

Jets? Who gets worked up about jets? They're off and gone and out of mind fast and soon you can hear conversation again. It's them darned gnats hanging on their nose in the middle of MY runway that bother me.

Besides, they started it!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's gotta be defending the honor of the steep price tag that is weighing on your mind...
Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Jets? Who gets worked up about jets? They're off and gone and out of mind fast and soon you can hear conversation again. It's them darned gnats hanging on their nose in the middle of MY runway that bother me.

Besides, they started it!
I had an experience with those gnats this week well kinda 2.

First one was a 3D plane started hovering just as my alarm goes, so I call out landing and out of the corner of my eye, I could see this plane move completely out of the runway, that did not bother me and I was able to land.

Second one was a helicopter moving about like some kinda gnat, well again my alarm goes (different flight) and I call out landing and again this guy moves but only straight up, not a big problem, I landed anyway, but I felt it would have been better if he had of moved off from the runway to over the field while I was landing. I was a little bothered by this, but I tend not to say things to people because I don't want the confrontation.

I think with jets you feel less mainstream and like you have to fight for your right to fly. I know I love seeing those jets fly, on Sunday TAMjets had I think the F16 out and was taking off with smoke, man was that cool. In fact just watching TAMjets they are so cool, when I am ready to mortage my sole to by one I know who I will be going to see.

James
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 PM
ravill

James,

What you saw was an f-16 in an edwards paint scheme and if you saw it land ok, then it wasn't Tam flying it!

A guy named Russ owns it and was flying it! Ehab was spotting.

But why do we get worked up because manufacture A is selling manufacture B's stuff at C prices made in country D?? Why do we get more worked up when our jet buddies are late, flake or just don't get their airplanes up and running???

These kind of things would never affect me when I was flying props....

Maybe its all the support (financial, tools, psychological, mail order lag time, turbine lag time... ) these darn things need??

ORIGINAL: *JCB*

it's gotta be defending the honor of the steep price tag that is weighing on your mind...
Or maybe its what JCB said....

If you live in the bay area and want to fly jets PM me!!

Raf
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ravill
Why do we get more worked up when our jet buddies are late, flake or just don't get their airplanes up and running???

It could be a combination of what JCB said along with (from observation) in order to fly jets, one must be able to have the discretionary income to do so. Those that tend to have that kind of money to risk in a crash of a toy (lets not get sidetracked on "toy") seem to be successful, and have become that way because they have a certain type of personality.

Could it be the natural personality traits along with what JCB said...maybe.

It seams that each of your posts adds more information to your original question, is there perhaps a particular incident that has prompted this, or more to the story at least?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Tim Jones
My Feedback: (1)

As a club officer, my roster shows that Ehab has a turbine waiver and a current membership.
However, no member named Russ has a turbine waiver according to the club roster. As a matter of fact, there are only six listings for the name of Russ or Russell, and three of them were current members in 2006.

Curious,
Old 12-21-2006, 02:24 PM
ravill

My frustrations started from the begining

Spending $1000 on prop planes just to get my turbine CD happy.

My turbine CD destroying my jet buy not knowing what he was doing. It turns out he was also a newb and did not make this known to me.

Lately, jet buddies not getting their airplanes up and running and others being late and others crashing because they don't take advise. It is frustrating.[sm=angry_smile.gif]

Tim,

I don't know who is or who is not a member at Tomcats.

Raf

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Why do we get more worked up when our jet buddies are late, flake or just don't get their airplanes up and running???

It could be a combination of what JCB said along with (from observation) in order to fly jets, one must be able to have the discretionary income to do so. Those that tend to have that kind of money to risk in a crash of a toy (lets not get sidetracked on "toy") seem to be successful, and have become that way because they have a certain type of personality.

Could it be the natural personality traits along with what JCB said...maybe.

It seams that each of your posts adds more information to your original question, is there perhaps a particular incident that has prompted this, or more to the story at least?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My turbine CD destroying my jet buy not knowing what he was doing. It turns out he was also a newb and did not make this known to me.

OMG!!!!

[:@]
Old 12-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And do we really have any more fun than we did as kids chasing Gillow's rubber powered free-flights across a meadow?

When it stops being fun, stop.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well whenever you get a group of individuals together that "know everything" as we all do, well thats what happens[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Tim Jones

As a club officer, my roster shows that Ehab has a turbine waiver and a current membership.
However, no member named Russ has a turbine waiver according to the club roster. As a matter of fact, there are only six listings for the name of Russ or Russell, and three of them were current members in 2006.

Curious,
If you want to see the fairly current (updated every week or two, I believe) list of AMA turbine waiver holders, see http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/510-M.pdf Russ (Russel Giordano) is listed there.

I know Russ is a member at Tracy Skyliners, which is where he normally flies. Don't know if he is a member at Tomcats - I know he said he was going to get help from the Tomcats guys (Ehab, Presta el al) for his first few turbine flights before flying his turbine at his home field - so maybe he was just flying as a guest, or maybe he's waiting for 01 Jan to join the Tomcats ... ? Dunno.

Gordon
Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Great advice.

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.
When it stops being fun, stop.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Dirtnaper

Are you guys talking about the little toy jets are the real ones? LMAO!

read here
|
|
|
|
\/