The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Re: Endless pit...

Old 08-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

I spend as much as I can but definately spend more than 500 a year. The next plane I'm getting in fact is gonna cost me a good 1000 dollars.

The reason kerklein this thread was deleted is an unregistered guest screwed it all up and used a lot of profanity, sorry for the hassle but it was mandatory we delete it.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:58 PM
jneesy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

I generally build 2-3 aircraft a year at a cost of......... shhhhhh(wheres the wife?)500.00 to 1,000.00 each (new radio and engine on each)I am currently building an sig se and it will cost about:75.00 kit,130.00 engine, 150.00 radio,150.00 accesories and covering so you are doing pretty well .
Old 08-02-2002, 10:15 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Fuel alone is pretty bad for me. One of my planes can burn a gallon of glow fuel in a day, and I can burn half a gallon of heli fuel a weekend. At 30 bucks a gallon for heli fuel, and 12 for regular stuff, it adds up quick.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:15 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Its fairly rare to find someone who flys on a regular basis and doesn't spend more than $500 a year... I spend about $150 a year just on fuel. (and that's not hard... just takes an average of 1 gallon a month)

Fuel, one kit and misc such as props, glue... you'll exceed $500 EASILLY.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:20 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Heck, my last plane, and most expensive to date, cost me just about $5000 by the time it was in the air.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:29 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

must be a 40%
Old 08-06-2002, 10:35 AM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

nope, much cooler. and faster.

TURBINE powered
Old 08-08-2002, 07:33 PM
jneesy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

I bought a flash 5 on my last . I just recieved the flight pac for my se not at all that much savings although with the flight pack I got better servos (425bb)
Old 09-03-2002, 08:30 PM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

$500 is a cheep price !! this was my 3rd summer into this sport and to date Ive exceeded the $5000 mark this fall ! Of corse $1700 was to remodel a room for my shop hahahaha.. my tower order last month was over $400 and this month was almost $200 more and $152 on ebay last week and afew pennies short of $50 at the local hobby shop here today ! but Im nothing compaired to others i know .. happy flying my friend !
Old 09-05-2002, 06:54 PM
rjbarthel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

wow !!man Id love to see your toy box !! I gess we all spend what we can . its all for the love of the hobby or in some cases life ! just gotta love it thats for sure !!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:46 PM
rjbarthel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Hahaha hey I know what you mean waiting thier turns !! also Im back to single myself but I have 3 young daughters helping me spend lol .. just a love for flight !! had my youngest she is 8yrs old on the trainer cord tonite !! she loves it !! mmmm looks like more airplanes comming to our hoime now hahahaha
Old 10-07-2002, 09:35 PM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Endless pit...

Originally posted by Carlos Murphy

OH, I'm not rich, I'm just not married!
haha

I AM married, wife doesnt complain about the $5-$6,000 planes yet
Old 10-10-2002, 08:35 AM
traskos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It`s relative to your financial situation. Ten dollars may be a lot of money to one person while one hundred dollars may be pocket change to another.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:48 AM
rc_skychief
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I probably spent about $3,000.00 this year and have only been flying for 2 years. Most of us spend whatever we can get by with. " Noboby said this was a cheap hobby." Paul.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:28 PM
glowplug

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

This is my 2nd full year flying and I'd say I've spent about $3000 this year.......my wife found a bunch of receipts in the spring and almost killed me....in 2 months I spent over $1000......oops....I told her that my mistresses (my planes) are expensive!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:39 PM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Money!!!??????

Better late than never, but this could go on forever................Dads foot went through my first descent plane, rest his soul, he complained about the high cost of the fuel, said I was pissing my money away.................45 years later, still pissing...........rest his soul...........still working on what pleases the soul, and you gotta keep your sainty too, right? My P47D Thunderbot, not complete, but getting their, first class stuff all the way, probably 5-6K when its completed, but I must say my neighbor who got me back into this madness, started me out back in the saddle with a small trainer with overkill computer radio which has served me all the way through the planes that have come & gone, but its worth every sacrifice I've had to make. If you wont it bad enough, you'll get it one way or the other. I spend close to 200 a month just on fuel, repairs are too bad now, but in the big inning, 40 - 50 per incident was nothing to sneeze about. Now the ones that fly away, 1 Big Write off, no pain no gain. Try the Frontier Senior, great trainer and hughe aircraft that'l keep everyone at the field thinking that you've really lost it. Enjoy & I hope no one has scared you off from this awsome vice.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Jackjet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Kerklein,

I KNOW for sure that I have spent over $50,000 since 1975 on this " hobby " - could bought a good used Cessna 182 for that..........but I get airsick sometimes - so I stick to flying models instead.

God Bless.

Jackjet
Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 AM
SaviCatses

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

I'll have spent about 1500 CAN$ on my trainer by the time of my first flight. But then again, I bought everything new, and bought some of the more expensive equipment (6 channel computer radio, OS 46FX engine, etc). Also, what didn't help my cost was that I had virtually no tools! I had to buy myself a drill (and drill bits), a screw driver set, yardstick, etc etc. A lot of these tools didn't cost too much, but in the end, spending 10$ ten times comes out to 100$ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure I could have borrowed the tools, or bought some equipment used, but I suppose I was looking into the future. My next plane should not cost me all that much since i'll use the same engine and radio equipment.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!! Or lack of it!:D

Been flying regularly since 96 and probably over 10K into this hobby. More than I can afford, but less than I want. Flying everything from indoor rubber to 1/4 scale and doing all types of vehicles. Just can't seem to get enough of this stuff. Heck my crashes this year totaled almost 2K in losses.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Postal FLyer
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Well lets see. I have a G-62, G-45, G-38, Air Hobbies 3.0 CI Twin, 2 OS 1.08s, Saito 150, 120,100, 2 OS pumped 120's waiting for planes. I have 16 sets of plans, 10 kits ( Hobby Lobby senior telemaster, Champion hammer .40, GP Giant Aeromaster, Cornell Michaels Skybolt from hosttler plans, Giant Scale Planes Super Decathalon 96" ARF, etc, I have cut 10 Ultra Hots kits from Plans, 2 SU 29 Sukoi's (80") from RCM Plans and about $3000 in tooling and spare hardware and I think I'm an amatuer in the sport because even though I sent in 5 Apps for self designs to RCM I never had one accepted yet , maybe. Money is a small part of where we are.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 PM
loopie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

$600 seems quite reasonable for being at it for 2 years. Just remember, hobbies are usually much cheaper and useful than weekly visits to the psychiatrist. I guess that's why I can justify it. It's the same excuse I used for the $23000.00 Harley and the new Jaguar and the new 24X24 workshop I'm building...Ha,Ha,Ha...life is sweet!
Old 02-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Dragoone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Well this will be my 3rd year coming up and I have 3 1/2 planes, 1 radio and a ton of gadgets..ie field boxes, chargers, etc..etc. I have about 400 - 500 per plane finished.

I think I can get away with 1 plane per year and the wife really never says much. This year the plane is almost done and I have my eye on a new Futaba 9CAP radio. That might cause a disturbance in my sleep location, but Its well worth it.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Besides its only green dirty paper....
Old 02-15-2003, 01:20 PM
donkey doctor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Hello; Nodeling didn't get too expensive for me until I started buying four strokes. I just had to have everything available from each maker. I'd hate to think of the replacement cost of all the engines I have sitting on the shelf. I have 20 planes ready to go, all with 4-strokes. My wife doesn't complain about it unless I make her come along to the store. I would guess at maybe 12,000 accumulated over 12 years. $1000 a year, not too bad, I pay more then that for insurance on my motorcycle.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:02 PM
BigFred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

I found that now that I have reached "critical mass" in my workshop, my wife is unable to determine, through all the clutter, what is new and what is old. Therefore, I can now spend at will. Easily a couple of thousand a year.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Money!!!

Kerk, Boy you hit a good topic here! I checked into this after one year of electric flying. (Cheap?!?!?) $1200
I never got into RC as a 35 year old because it was too expen$ive. I camp in a motorized recreation vehicle about 35% of the year. Once a campground was within hearing distance of a model club. I watched. Told them I'd love to but it was too expensive. Then I thought about my R.V. and started out on a Firebird to try it out.
My first Rv cost $300 in 1983 and took 11 months to get it roadworthy. The second one was a Cam[ping Van. The thirdd one was a $40,000 class "C" motor home and now I have an $80,000 Class "A" Motor home with a storage compartment outside tht I call the Hangar. We spend on what we want. My wife has taken at least 3 sewing machines with us in the motorhome, JUST for a week end. She has one machine that cost $6000+ and wants one that costs over $10,000. You guys relax. You only go through this life once. F L Y if you want!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service