Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don't Pick on R/C Airplanes

Old 01-28-2003, 07:59 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Don't Pick on R/C Airplanes

Did anyone see Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert on Fox News today? He was talking about the war on terror and said, "With a model airplane and an aerosol can, you can do a lot of damage."

I wonder if that will stir up any problems for us? I wish they would leave it alone.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:06 AM
sdt22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The fact of the matter is that he is true. We wouldn't want to be selfish while ignoring ideas that ultimately need to be faced. Yes it is a shame that it could come down to further regulations of our hobby, but we have to take an affirmative step in combatting terrorism. And while I'm sure that 99.9999% of the people in this hobby could never conjure such an idea of terrorism through our wonderful hobby, it is definitely something that could happen. This is why all Americans have a duty to be a watchdog of terrorism just like our government has asked of us.

I'm sure this will be only 1 of many possible replies to this sensitive subject, but it's just my .02$.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Frankly the War on Terrorism will yield the same results as the War on Drugs. Zero! Trouble with a standard R/C plane is you need to be close and on top of things. Dont think their would be much "get away" time.
Damage can be done with Estes rockets too. If a person wants to do some damage, they are going to find away. Was it a 3 mile no fly zone around the Super Bowl. By the time ATC would start scratching their heads, its too late.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Ptarmigan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

During World War II, people were vigilent. We should be vigilent in this War on Terrorism. We don't need no regulations. We manage to overcome during World War II.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Cyclic Hardover
Frankly the War on Terrorism will yield the same results as the War on Drugs. Zero!
You confidence overwhelms me. I would venture a guess that there are several thousand people in Afghanistan, Cuba, Spain, Germany, England, Italy, and Kuwait who would disagree with you about our anti terrorisms efforts.

What are we supposed to do, roll over and take it? The terrorists have already demonstrated that they have little fear of being seen, or even captured while committing an act of terrorism. What makes you think it is inconceivable that someone would not fly an R/C aircraft in an act of terrorism, the fact that you have to be too close? I don't think so.

You obviously didn't see the F16's flying CAP around that 3 mile radius at the Super Bowl.

Vince
Old 01-29-2003, 01:21 AM
Kitbasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you want to live in a free country or do you want false security in a police state. Get REAL. Cover all your planes Red White & Blue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51062_1636.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	31493  
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Frankly the War on Terrorism will yield the same results as the War on Drugs. Zero! Trouble with a standard R/C plane is you need to be close and on top of things. Dont think their would be much "get away" time.
Damage can be done with Estes rockets too. If a person wants to do some damage, they are going to find away. Was it a 3 mile no fly zone around the Super Bowl. By the time ATC would start scratching their heads, its too late.
I think it was more like 15 miles, but with a fast enough plane you may be able to get through the fighter patrols. The only thing the war on terrorism will do is take away our freedoms.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:45 AM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The no fly perimeter around San Diego's Jack Murphy Stadium was 7 Miles.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:28 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, that's it. The TFR for the State of the Union has a 30 mile radius.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trouble with a standard R/C plane is you need to be close and on top of things. Dont think their would be much "get away" time.
How much "get away" time did the 19 terrorists aboard those airliners have on Sept. 11th??? I think that all aspects need to be looked at. Yes, we need to realize that our hobby could be used for bad (just about anything could be used for bad if you think about it long enough). We need to address the issue and have the correct answers when the questions are brought up. Without being able to give plausible answers we could very well see our hobby regulated to death.

I know this for a fact from experience. Our flying field is located on an army base in Oklahoma. for 4 months after sept. 11 we were not allowed to fly on the field. not because the base was closed down, but because of the concerns of the public (and I totally understand why they were uneasy too). and even after we were allowed to fly again, for about 2 months there were Military Police around almost every time we flew. And when my truck was stopped for searches at the gate entering post, I planned on spending extra time as they checked out all of my equipment and planes.

we can't just stick our heads in the sand and ignore this and hope it goes away. fear is usually fulled by ignorance. let's help educate the government about what is and what isn't possible.

ok, I'll climb of off my soapbox now.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Be vigilant is the answer, if some suspicious ( trying to stay away from racism there ) joins the club, only shows interest in what payload, range and video telemetry systems you can use and doesn't give a damn about landing then the alarm bells should be ringing.
All these clues where there before 9\11 but because these things never happened in the US before so no questions where asked, things thankfully are different now, not just in the US but everywhere.
the potential for RC planes that we use as i see it are exactly what the US government is looking into, surveillance and one person assignation.
there are far easier and quicker ways to cause more damage
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If there is anyone out there that don't think this has been considered. Consider this, we fly the predator and other unmanned aircraft in their airspace and have now even added weopons to them. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out how effective and dangerous this can be. As long as the government uses "good judgement" (oxymoron), I believe they have a legitimate concern.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Perminator-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

come on! R/C planes for terrorism?!? Get real. It's just propaganda from the government to spread fear and paranoia so their actions will go uncriticized. What we're seeing now is just US foreign policy from the 50's and onward striking back on itself. Has nothing to do with religion or a deepdown hatred towards freedom.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are many good views here, The biggest points is the ones that indicate the need to be aware"

I think RCU's post had two points to it,

2nd was the hobby and possible regulations and RESTRICTIONS"

First" was the idea of the *speaker of the house* stating a model airplane and an AEROSOL CAN, I took this to mean BIO"

There is all kinds of "How to build bombs for Dummies" books and web sites. So I'm not going to go into details on how it could be done. I don't like the Lets just "tell the world how to do it" advertisement's thats all over the news today.

I watch my neighbors house and look beyond it a couple more"

Great post RCU

Dan Z
Old 01-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont think theres much to worry about. Terrorists do acts on a personal level (meaning they drive or fly) themselves, not models to the victims. Thats how they achieve "Glory". Whens the last time you heard of a true terrorist using anything radio control to achieve this?
Old 01-29-2003, 08:41 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree with groundforce they prefer to die while committing there horrible acts. From the trends of terrorism they prefer Full scale Aircraft, Trains, cars, moving trucks and busses.
I would be a h@!% of a lot more concerned about watching a Red Headed Cowboy filling a U-Haul rental truck with 55 gallon drums than I would be worried about a Iraqi national flying a Kadet Senior.

Just my $0.02
Later Jim
Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by JIMESTES
I would be a h@!% of a lot more concerned about watching a Red Headed Cowboy filling a U-Haul rental truck with 55 gallon drums than I would be worried about a Iraqi national flying a Kadet Senior.
VERY VERY well put!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Don't Pick on R/C Airplanes

Originally posted by RCU
Did anyone see Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert on Fox News today? He was talking about the war on terror and said, "With a model airplane and an aerosol can, you can do a lot of damage."

I wonder if that will stir up any problems for us? I wish they would leave it alone.
To late, RC potential is already on the Homeland Security list to look at.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:50 PM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Perminator
come on! R/C planes for terrorism?!? Get real. It's just propaganda from the government to spread fear and paranoia so their actions will go uncriticized. What we're seeing now is just US foreign policy from the 50's and onward striking back on itself. Has nothing to do with religion or a deepdown hatred towards freedom.
Oh yeah! And no one will ever fly a passenger jet into a tall building!!
Old 01-30-2003, 01:13 AM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Check this out...

http://www2.faa.gov/AVR/afs/news/arc...2003/Scale.htm
Old 01-30-2003, 01:34 AM
Vince

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Perminator
come on! R/C planes for terrorism?!? Get real. It's just propaganda from the government to spread fear and paranoia so their actions will go uncriticized. What we're seeing now is just US foreign policy from the 50's and onward striking back on itself.

Don't mean to sound disrespectful, but that foreign policy is what kept you and a lot of Europe from being under Communist domination.

Vince
Old 01-30-2003, 03:13 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My guess is that if it ever comes to it, we would have to fly at our fields and not in some of those places that are too close to the city. That's still not going to keep the dedicated terrorist(s) from using any means to vent those cans of Secret or Arrid Extra Dry over the cities. I see it kind of like archery and slingshots. The local ordinances deem it unlawful to shoot them unless you are in a "safe" area like the archery range at the public parks. Think about it, the guys with the most training in my area are the cross country glider flyers. They are skilled at following an R/C plane around in a car for hundreds of miles. He He!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:45 AM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know the first thing about thermals and lift and the need for spoilers,

But I remember The Sailair looking like a dot.

But I guess if thay cant fit inside of it they wont use it, no direct contact means they can't commit an act.

Dan Z
Old 01-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But I guess if thay cant fit inside of it they wont use it, no direct contact means they can't commit an act.
Thats only one type of nutter...
The IRA never stayed around their bombs.
The bomb outside that nightclub was just left there ( forget which island it was )
The one in Oakahoma
just to name a few.

But why would you want to fly a bomb in a RC plane when you can just drive a bigger one and leave it right outside.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:25 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by wornboots
I don't know the first thing about thermals and lift and the need for spoilers,

But I remember The Sailair looking like a dot.

But I guess if they cant fit inside of it they wont use it, no direct contact means they can't commit an act.

Dan Z
phillybaby

I fully Agree with You, They don't always commit suicide to perform an act of terrorism. Some have that Idea'

The reason I said that was it seems to be the way of thinking,

But a large Sailplane does not have to carry a bomb, an "aerosol can" is not a bomb but can still be lethal.

Dan Z

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.