Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Staring At RC Helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 02:55 AM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staring At RC Helicopters

Do you sometimes catch yourself staring at RC helicopters, especially scale RC helicopters, even if you don't fly them? Everytime I go to the hobby show and see RC helicopters, I just stare at them. Now, if its a scale RC helicopter, I stare it even longer. I find RC helicopters cool, but not in my cup of tea, when it comes to flying. Too expensive and hard to fly
Old 08-03-2002, 04:30 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Only get expensive if you crash alot(or have an expensive heli)! And there not that hard to fly, you can do it!!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:24 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helis hard?

I consider myself a "well rounded" modeller and quite a few years ago told myself I had to try RC helis. I managed to teach myself to fly without a sim. and on my own (with a concept30). Now, I'm nothing special- just a determined guy - if I can learn to fly so can anyone else! Today with a good simulator you can teach yourself to fly before you even get a "real" heli. Its true! Thats how I eventually learned to nose in hover, on a sim. They are great. Pick up a used one and try it out. If you like it and can learn to fly on it then you will be able to fly the actual model.

Have fun!
AJC
Old 08-05-2002, 01:21 AM
Tapio

Hey AJC hows it going! Just bought a JR 8103 (with CCPM) so I'm one step closer to a whirly bird. Now it will take a year to absorb this forum info before I choose a heli. Sim time sure making it seem a possibility. Jan in the Bay.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:30 AM
ajcoholic

Jan,
Missed you at the fun fly last weekend, was a good show! My friend Chris was up from Southern Ontario putting an excellent 3D show on for us many times with his new Shlutter Millenium. Unbelieveable.

For you guys - this fellow Chris started flying with me less than two years ago, and flies a sim a LOT. He progressed to an unbelieveable level of flying (all inverted and backwards stuff, just wild) in one and a half summers. Shows what a ton of hours on the sim and burning gallons and gallons of fuel will do!

Later,
Andrew
Old 08-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Tapio

How much wind do the heli's practically handle?
Old 08-05-2002, 01:54 AM
ajcoholic

I find that helicopters handle the wind MUCH better than most planes. I will fly my heli in high winds I wouldnt even think about taking a plane out in. I guess there is so little area other than the canopy for the wind to act on.

AJC