Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What makes you...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Fewski
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes you...

What makes you keep wanting to do RC? I bought a plane (still putting it together), just seems that once I start flying it, It'll start to get boring. The cars look fun, but the closest track is quite a ways away, so I think I might get bored running it by myself.

What keeps you going?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
venom290

Default RE: What makes you...

There is always a more difficult plane or manuver to try. The first solo,first tail dragger, 1st war bird. All gave me the same weak kneed feelling.Throw some skis on and go fly in the snow.Fun stuff. Can't wait to do some flying off the lake this summer.First time.
Any way just my 2cents.
P.s i have a rc truck it's cool , but not the same as flying
venom
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I enjoy the time I get to spend with my friends.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM
redfox435cat

That was my problem to. I kept it going by contiuning to build and learning to fly more chalanging models. Starting to compete is what kept me going in the long run. Racing after you get used to the speed is easy flying but flying really fast in a crowd is just plain awsome. Doing fly bys at over 120 is alway cool looking
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Fewski,

I think this thread is already starting to give you this answer, but I'll chime in here:

What keeps you going? Well, the fact that there are about eleventybazillion ANSWERS to that question is the first clue.

Maybe on the next flight youo can go a little faster? Or maybe you can make that aerobatic maneuver a bit more perfect? Or maybe you can finally pull off a perfect torque roll.

Of course, maybe this plane isn't up for that...so you need a new one. maybe this time you can go with a larger motor? Or maybe you might even try to build one instead of doing an ARF? Or maybe you like that ARF but want to re-cover it in a better scheme?

What about your first gasser? Do you want it to do 3d? Pattern? Warbirds are always cool.

Hey, wait, you mean people fly these things off water too? And snow? That one has a camera on it? HOLY ****, how did he make it do THAT??

Heck...might even want to try a helicopter next.

That, imo, is the difference between this hobby and anything else RC...you've got nearly an unlimited number of things to try for your next flight/build/purchase/flying-style.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

120 fly bys....aahhhh. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 AM
jettstarblue

Get a heli, that will keep your questions at bay and your wallet empty for awhile.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
jettstarblue

Or just when you think you've "done it all" go back and built a GOOD FLYING stick and tissue peanut scale model.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The cars look fun, but the closest track is quite a ways away, so I think I might get bored running it by myself.

What keeps you going?
I never understood the attraction to cars. But then, I drive to work like these guys drive their R/C versions.

Flying is always different. Weather changes, new maneuvers to try, new models or modifications to existing planes. Always something. And passing the techniques on to new pilots is very rewarding. I suppose when I can take off and do a rolling loop in both vertical and horizontal with perfect circles in a 15 mph wind I'll begin to get bored.

If you're bored with what you fly, fly something else. Try keeping an underpowered Tiger Moth biplane in a crisp pattern if you're bored with an overhorsed Cap 232. Strap on floats and try the water. Skis in the winter (not this winter, though). Fly bigger, fly smaller, slower, faster . . .

The sky's the limit.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with all above. I also think it has to be in your blood,and you should take pride in your flying/building. I have been at it almost 20 years now. I was flying a friends plane on Monday and totaly greased the landing. For me that was exciting.

David
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have gotten bored with models and the way they fly. I have a PT-19 I built from scratch and flew it for over a year and just plain got tired of doing the same thing every time I took off. So I built a Brown B2, whole new balgame, that one still keeps me on my toes after 3years. After 8 3Dfoamy F-18s I got tired of those too.

I do have a retirement maneuver and model to build tho. My crowning moment will be to build a large PBY, take it off and fly a loop around a bridge near me, land. If I ever do that there will be an awsome sale going on.
I have had this in mind since the first month I started this hobby. Keep your money, I don't even have the plans for the model yet[sm=wink_smile.gif] Somewhere between here and there I gotta find a way to afford a turbine.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 AM
bbbair

If all of the above types of flying fail to get you heart racing - try combat!
[X(][X(]

Now you are going fast against someone else - try to hit a moving target in a 3D setting... go ahead and tell me "THAT" is boring ...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always liked to fly in competition. I am a goal oriented person and like to work with the idea of doing specific things better. When I go flying it is to get my stuff working better and/or to improve my flying ablity. I do find flying around with no purpose to be boring. If I go to a contest, my stuff works as expected, and I fly as well as I can, I won, regardles of where I am on the scoreboard. If I have a bad day, I still get to spend time with my friends who have the same interests as I do. Not a total loss!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Live Wire

Seems like if you are flying with people you enjoy flying with it does not get boring , but some you can not fly with because they have an atitude problem
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For me it never gets boring. I just keep trying to be a better and better pilot; not necesarily aerobatic skills, but just get smoother and tighter with the basics. The building takes care of itself, the more I build and detail, the more I want to build and detail. My hangar has gotten big enough that I can take a different plane to the field, or a couple of different ones, and the variety keeps the thrill going. Hell, I even dream about flying and dream about building.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
redfox435cat

aha come on man I can't afford 427 stuff
Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fewski

What makes you keep wanting to do RC? I bought a plane (still putting it together), just seems that once I start flying it, It'll start to get boring. The cars look fun, but the closest track is quite a ways away, so I think I might get bored running it by myself.

What keeps you going?
Fewski,

If you want excitement, try putting about 10 months into a build, and go right out and fly it. The more you've scaled it out, the more your heart will race. If you want real excitement, move tthe C/G back a tad, and then fly it like you stole it. If you get bored with that, find a new hobby. Perhaps handling poisnous snakes or taming tigers would do it for you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1