Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Man. Either some of you guys are brave or just real s........

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Man. Either some of you guys are brave or just real s........

Old 01-31-2003, 06:00 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Man. Either some of you guys are brave or just real s........

Some of you guys are real brave or just real......
super trusting!

I look over the "Good, Bad, & The Ugly" forum from time to time to read of some of the war stories for THE FUN OF IT! You know, it's kinda like viewing those reality cop shows where you see some poor slob get robbed. I mean instances of guys here getting ripped off for their planes, radios or cash is not uncommon. I like that one guy that sent off a $3000.00 M.O. for a turbin jet engine and received nothing.

I DON'T GET IT!!! Can some one who is reading this thread explain to me how YOU personally have the faith to send your 2, 3, or 4 hundred bucks AND MORE to a total stranger. You know, I can more understand if a guy has at least a history here. Some guys here have user names that have been participating on this web site before your mother was born. Some guys have a few positive feedbacks. Or you get good vibes about some guys who up front on their ad will offer their phone number, their Mom's drivers license #, their web site pages with the bible quote of the day, etc. On the phone they sound legitimate too. I will have no problems trusting these types a bit easier. You can usually tell when they're good. There's tell tale signs that you're dealing with a mature and trustworthy person. For starters they often have a set reasonable price, and won't settle for just any price you post to them. They also very often have a very articulate description of the item. The e mails are usually very timely and responsible as well. But too often so many other guys selling stuff say next to nothing on the ads: They have ZERO feed back rating. They just registered 2 days ago onto RC UNIVERSE. Their post doesn't indicate where they live. They provide no personal biography. These ads are a clear danger to me, but darned if I don't see someone posting "I'll buy it at your asking price. Take PayPal?"

For these big amounts, I have yet to ever see anyone suggest an escrow service either!
That's a mystery to me as well, how the use of escrow sevices are non-existent here.

Didn't your Moma tell you to beware of strangers!!!!???? Let me know if I'm crazy, and the rest of you guys are Normal.
(at least I'd never be out $3000. bucks!!!!)
Old 01-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct, out of about 26 reports there are 3 or 4 bad deals, not very good results, unless there are hundreds of deals not reported. Maybe its time for all RCU deals over a certain amount to go through a escrow service. Seems paying a few bucks to insure your getting what you pay for would be worth it.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with you also. I go even further. If a guy need help on a subject and does not want to tell us where he lives, City and State. I may have the answer he needs but I do not respond to them. What is the big secret? Just old age I suppose.
Lee
Old 01-31-2003, 12:12 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you, even though I have never had a BAD deal on RCO or RCU. And I can not begin to guess how many deals that involves. However, I have been charged $630 from Multiplex of America for a radio on Nov 18th that I have not yet received. And this is a reputable company that is just going thru some strange times.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:45 PM
nun45
My Feedback: (1)

i had not put my bad deal in there yet as i am a firm believer that his conscience will get to him and he will either send back my little engine or my plane and wing. but i am a bit ignorant!---henry
Old 01-31-2003, 02:58 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

OH THE STORIES I COULD TELL..........
Old 01-31-2003, 03:09 PM
Al Stein

me too, but if I were to be fair, I'd have to preface each bad one with dozens of good ones. I'd also have to tell about the times I promised something that my job delayed until the other guy had every right to be nervous, but once we were back in contact everything worked out fine.

I don't know what to tell ya... if nobody trusts anyone until they've proven themselves, then noone will ever have the opportunity to prove themself in the first place. I just pad my bets when I can and play the odds when I feel like it's worth it and people almost always come through.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by xp8103

As for ratings, karma, feedback, etc. Those and $3.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

My worst deal ever was with a forum mod (not here).

I've had a good deal, leave feedback on a guy, and have somebody email me saying the same guy ripped them off, disconnected the phone, moved...this really happened.

Recently had almost the exact same thing happen (except the guy didn't move) I had a good deal, another guy still hasn't got his stuff and his deal was earlier than mine..we just started comparing notes.

SO I almost hate to vouch for anybody anymore. I know it's not my fault the second guy got ripped off, but he may not have made the deal had it not been for my glowing recommendation.

I've done a few dozen deals on here, never ripped anybody off, but my karma has just a handful of entries...I'm not gonna ask for karma (some of the people I've dealt with do ask...but won't reciprocate, some do).

I usually just go back to whether I've seen them around for a while, try to get as many points of contact as possible (e-mail, phone #'s ,address) and hope for the best.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have bought and sold on forums and ebay for years. Way over 10 grand bough, and much more sold. In all that time, I have only had one bad deal. I bought a heli on ebay without a picture and a low feedback seller and got a box of trash. He had wrecked it bad. Nothing on it useable. Have been really lucky other than that. I have been nervous on a few things for a week or so, but it always worked out. I tend to check out as much as possible if the dollar value gets high, but look for the good in people for the most part. So far it has worked. Beware of no feedback people and neg feedback people though. Harder to check on the forums. You have to really watch that. I know there are a lot of kids on here that try things, but after a phone call, don't send them money. I had one I was dealing with that you could tell he was full of it by what he wrote. It was pointed out by many that he was trying to scam you on the board so hopefully noone sent him money. Its not always easy. There are a lot of crooks out there.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:55 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All:
Originally posted by FLYBOY
It was pointed out by many that he was trying to scam you on the board... There are a lot of crooks out there.
There is a set of B&D retracts posted, used, for $70 on RCU. Just the retracts, no hose, no valve, no tank.

Tower Hobbies sells this set, brand new, WITH hose, valve, and tank for $75.

I sent him a PM mentioning this, no response.

Reported the post to Marc, saying the post was a rip-off, no response.

I suppose it's always "Buyer beware."

Put your money in the box,
. Sometimes you lose your socks.

Bill.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:08 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Man. Either some of you guys are brave or just real s........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RandallM.
Some of you guys are real brave or just real......
super trusting!

For these big amounts, I have yet to ever see anyone suggest an escrow service either!
That's a mystery to me as well, how the use of escrow sevices are non-existent here.

Well you know the old saying? "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"? We had an Escrow service here on RCU but in 60 days only 2 members used it. We tried to make it safer for those doing trades and selling, we really did!!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:21 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

it's really alot of common sense issues. Granted getting screwed over just can't be avoided sometimes. If I'm sending a large sum of money I always get the real name/address/phone number of the person and just call them about it. If they won't exchange that information, then don't deal with them. Once you've talked with them you now know they have some sort of relation to that address and number. If you want more info on them, run the number through yahoo people search.

http://people.yahoo.com/

Run the address through

www.mapquest.com

By this time if they give you the run around you should have a name, address, phone number, and email, enough information to contact the authorities.

If someone is sending me money, if it's a larger amount I request money order. It's guarenteed money, and much safer than other means.

Here is a VERY interesting story of a Mac user who was ripped off on ebay, this is a GOOD READ. It happened about 2 months ago and his story has been on CNN and all over the internet. Shows you how the online community can be helpful in these cases. Follow some of the updates on the bottom and you can just see how much publicity this stired up.

http://www.remodern.com/caught.html
Old 02-01-2003, 02:31 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pfheeew... What a relief. I was bracing myself to be called all kinds of unflattering names for posting my feelings on the matter. More important, you guys just verified that we are not cinical or unreasonble for thinking this way. It's just the cold cruel reality that this stuff can and does happen!

Particle Man:
Very interesting web site and story about the MAC puter guy that got ripped off. That, and the story about those fraudulant Escrow Services, help to educate and remind us guys how NOT to be duped.

Art:
You know, last year I wanted to make a purchase right here on RCUNIVERSE for a Jack Stafford B-24 kit. The guy wanted $325 and we settled at $300. However, I offered only to buy the kit from this guy, if he'd go through the Escrow Service. I readilly offered offered to pay the $10 fee for the service. I offered too, that I would send the kit back at my shipping expense if it didn't live up to my satisfaction. Do you know this guy said to me "Forget it. I'll just send you the kit up front, and trust you for the $300." Well, that's exactly what he did. I received the kit. It was as he described. And I had a check in the mail for him the next day.
But it made an impression to me, how unpopular this process is. Folks just prefer to do it "unprotected". And so sometimes they really get screwed.

If you check my feedback, you'll see 3 positive feedbacks and one "neutral". This Turkey was the one that gave me the neutral feedback, because he became annoyed when I twice e mailed him a couple of weeks later to "please give me a feedback" I was waiting for patiently.He gave it to me!!

So anyway, if folks are willing to buy and sell stuff "unprotected", then it only makes sense that they will deal with someone else, instead of you when you suggest an escrow service.

People are funny. Go figure!??
Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

I'm with ParticleMan. I've never had a deal go bad but I always do my homework BEFORE sending anything.

For instance, before I even make an offer, I'll look around on RCUniverse and see how many post they have and what kind of posts they are. This will usually give me a clue as to what kind of person they are.

Then, when the deal is made, I get phone numbers and addresses. I call the number to verify and talk to them a bit. Find out where they fly, etc.. Usually just friendly chit-chat but it could come in useful if they try and rip you off later. If, at any point, I get any red flags, I don't buy/sell it.

Also, ALWAYS send the item or the check so it's trackable and they have to sign for it.