Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

translation needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 04:45 PM
dirtstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default translation needed

hi! could anyone tell me what VAT means in German????? TIA> ED
Old 02-04-2003, 04:50 PM
JimTrainor

Value Added Tax

It is a sales tax.

It is not actually German. It is a tax applied to many products and services throughout Europe. I think, by countries that are members of the European Economic Union.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:10 PM
dirtstripper

Hello JIM! thanks for the info for my question! the reason i asked was because i was inquiring about the REFLEX flight simulator and so far i cant find any place stateside that sell it ! could you tell me if you know if I would have to pay the tax if i ordered it from europe?? anyway TY for the info i do appreciate it!GGN! ED
Old 02-04-2003, 11:43 PM
JimTrainor

dirstripper, as far as I know you should not have to pay it. But who knows... it could get complicated. I know that a traveller you have to pay it, then make a claim (e.g. at the airport when you leave) to get it back. You'll have to ask the retailer I suspect they will not charge you. I in Canada... I have no first had experience with mail order from Europe.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:41 AM
rcalfred

I just bought a couple of engines from Just Engines in the UK. They deduct the VAT from their price because it is not charged for items being exported from the UK. Assume that it is also true of export from Germany. As I remember it does make a difference since the VAT is about 15%. Regards.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:56 AM
dirtstripper

Thanks for the info recal! regards ED
Old 02-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Perminator-RCU

The VAT is different in each country and has nothing to do with the EMU. Actually many contries all over the world have it. It's usually between 10% and 25% depending on what you buy and in which country you buy it.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Tippie

If you are in Europe and buy an item(s) with VAT you can file for a refund when you get back to the US. When you go through customs you get a form to fill out for the refund. I never left that much money over there to worry about it.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:50 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Guys, a couple of points on this from experience.

1. If you mail order to the U.S. you do NOT pay the VAT.

2. If you buy in person over there, you PAY the VAT.

3. They tell you that you can get it back when you get customs at the departure airport. However, and this is a BIG however (at least in the UK), there are multiple problems. The shop owner will tell you that you only need a receipt and to fill out a form at the airport. The customs guys at the aiport will tell you that you must have gotten a form with the receipt from the shoppe you purchased each item from. Then they will tell you that it is optional for a shoppe owner to do this (ie participate in the VAT refund program).

Don't know which is correct, but I know that when I was there I was never able to get a refund. And rest assured it is a HEFTY tax that adds up in little time.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:39 PM
dirtstripper

TY for all the info guys! ed