Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does this Flloyd Bennet Airport Hanger still exist?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does this Flloyd Bennet Airport Hanger still exist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does this Flloyd Bennet Airport Hanger still exist?

I was wondering if this main terminal or Hanger Building at the old Flloyd Bennet Airport in Brooklyn, NY, seen in this photo, still exists. I'd like to visit the next time I have to go to NYC to visit the inlaws, and take a picture of this building in particular.

Yea, I know that Hitler Airlines have long been put out of business, and the plane probably isn't there anymore.

[link=http://www.mindspring.com/~jaytee/pages/pic44.htm]Old photo of Nazi Plane and Flloyd Bennet Airport Terminal[/link]
Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Does this Flloyd Bennet Airport Hanger still exist?

According to this site, this hangar may be the one currently used by the NYPD.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/...Y_Brooklyn.htm
Old 01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes
the hgrs and control tower are still there
there are 8 hgrs there
vinny
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM
rustyrivet

Scottrc,

The police hanger shown in that particular snap shot doesn't appear to be this same building.

As I intend to build an 89" electric model of this plane, I thought it might be enjoyable for me to visit this actual hanger where the historic flight took place and take a photo of the building. There are other photos that exist of this historical event, and I should be able to likely identify the actual hanger (if I visited) by referring to one or more pictures brought to the avtual sight with me. Of course, it would be nice to identify beforehand from the convenience of my computer.

Vinnyjet,

Perhaps you are right that the hanger is still there. (or terminal building, or whatever it is) My only concerns are that perhaps the building has been modified badly over time. I believe I read in a google search this morning that some historians have complained about such modifications that were made. But I don't know to what degree and which buildings. Also, I don't know if that particular building and/or field might be off limits to visitors.

Thanks gentlemen for the input. Perhaps others will chime in with some input.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:07 AM
vinnyjet

rusty
try www.aviatorsports.com they restored 4 of the hgrs to new condition
they might do the other 4 also

nypd is in the old coast guard hgrs

the control tower is in good condition and will be restored to new condition
starting next year 2008

vinny
Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these the hangers you can see form the Belt Parkway?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 AM
vinnyjet

yes
vinny
Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM
rustyrivet

Vinny,

When I went into that Aviator Park Websight, I clicked into each of the dozen or so press release links from the last few years to get the whole scoop. The bottom line is, that old historical airport complex once known as Bennet Field has become a very ambitous revitalization project now serving as a recreational facility.

THE DEVELOPERS ARE PURPOSELY SAVING THE FACADES OF THE OLD HANGERS for historical purposes. BUT...and a big but,
I'm betting that the hanger facade seen in the photo of the Focke Wolfe Codor photo, is now the wall I saw of the inside of an ice scating rink. If that was not the actual facade, then very likely it is going to be one of the others located inside the complex. So, there's good chances that now, 70 years later, I'll be standing in the middle of the ice skating rink to photograph it.

This ain't Europe with it's quaint old streets, or Gazza with camel rides past a pyramid. I'm glad that some effort to even save a piece of it was attempted. If it's any consolation on my trip there, the Concorde is supposed to be located there somewhere on those ground as well. They said it's stay is only "temporory" while some kind of work is being performed at its usual home base. So I'm not sure if the plane will still be there in April when I arrive.

Vinny,
I appreciate your time providing this input. At least I now know what to expect, and I'll be braced to discover this historical facade overlooking a hot-dog and souvenier stand, with rap music blasted over a skating rink. Not sure I even want to go see it now. I initially thought that I'd very likely be standing on an old runway pavement in front of an old historic building, if but dirty and neglected, still in its original splendor. Too bad that my timing is about 4 years too late. [] Thanks for the Help.