Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Addiction: Building in Secret @ work!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Addiction: Building in Secret @ work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 01:55 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addiction: Building in Secret @ work!

Am I the only one!!!! I always find myself looking for small parts of a building and/or planning project that I can take to work and "work" on them in my office. You know a minute or two here and five or six they’re... sometimes even more Like right now. I've just gotten going this morning at the office, but I can’t resist that pocket project in my desk drawer. I'm building a scale engine out of small balsa pieces for my current 1/4 scale project in-progress at home. A little pre-planning and a few basic tools and you are good to go! Makes that long afternoons a little more interesting sometimes. If you here footsteps coming just slide that desk drawer shut and do some real work. It also helps if you are the owner of the company... but that’s a small detail

That's not even mentioning the forum visits on the web. Sometimes my job just gets in the way of the rest of my life. When at home I find myself going down into the basement often "to get a tool to fix that door jam" or some other important issue too the wife and sneak a few quick parts together before heading back up stairs. Sometimes I even forget that "tool". Yea, I've become a hopless addict of this hobby.

How many others have this secret life?
Old 02-14-2002, 04:16 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I can definately relate to the sneaking downstairs and getting a few parts glued or a little sanding done.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Default Building

Hehehe, I can relate, I work in the apt maintenance field and have a shop. Its amazing how many things you can use on your planes that can be found in the shop. Also, all the big tools are in the shop. Sometimes when we are real slow, i can spend almost the entire afternoon on "project day" to get something done for the weekend. Monday of this week was super slow, so I spent the day making a new bed insert for transporting my planes. It is hinged in the middle and is covered with outdoor carpeting like the soft side of velcro. I made little tie downs with the loop end of the velcro and whoola, a slow day spent productively(in my eyes anyway) And the other guys love it when I bring my new planes in the shop to show em off or run new engines in. I really have it made. The only thing better would be to actually work for an R/C builder or supplier, hehehe

Happy building,
Warren
Old 02-14-2002, 07:00 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately I don't get to take projects to work, I'm in "cubicle land" so it would be hard to do and not get dirty looks.....I DO keep up on the forums, however!
The "going down to the basement for a tool" is really funny....I do that all the time...I'll get wrapped up in something and be down there for an hour before I realize it!

Mike
Old 02-14-2002, 07:13 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Funny.... I had a boss once who was building an electric RC heli in his office. It was a robbe I believe. I am not sure if he ever got it finished tho as I took a new job.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:32 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

When in class I draw new designs, sometimes they become reality. When I'm at work, well thats at a Hobby place so I don't get a whole lot done on my own project, but if I need parts my boss gives me a good deal on them.

--Paul
Old 02-15-2002, 02:13 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: Addiction: Building in Secret @ work!

Originally posted by Kregg
When at home I find myself going down into the basement often "to get a tool to fix that door jam" or some other important issue too the wife and sneak a few quick parts together before heading back up stairs. Sometimes I even forget that "tool". Yea, I've become a hopless addict of this hobby.

How many others have this secret life?
Sounds familiar! My workshop is in the garage and whenever I go out or come home in the car I just have to stop at the bench for a few minutes and do something. I figure the few minutes here and there will help get the project finished!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:43 AM
Grounded62

Default Addiction

I guess I'm lucky... my work place is at home. I start the day with a short workout in my shop ( then a few minutes at the workbench).

Then I spend an hour or so at the 'puter checking my websites, making a few calls... then back to the shop for well deserved break. This goes on all day... unless I find somebody to fly with, that is. Grounded62
Old 02-18-2002, 03:50 AM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Not only do I get to build at work,I get to fly em also.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Addiction

I can kinda relate. My main office is about 40 miles away from home, so I set up a home office to get as much work done as possible without leaving home. It's kinda hard staying away from the workshop when I should be working.

Originally posted by Grounded62
I guess I'm lucky... my work place is at home. I start the day with a short workout in my shop ( then a few minutes at the workbench).

Then I spend an hour or so at the 'puter checking my websites, making a few calls... then back to the shop for well deserved break. This goes on all day... unless I find somebody to fly with, that is. Grounded62
Old 02-19-2002, 03:30 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Building at work

I have to admit that I have built a Chea-Pass at my desk, It only took a day to frame it up and a day to cover it. I have also worked on small parts at my desk. This sure does pass the time.

I'm trying to get the nerve up to install a building board in my cube and move my 1/4 scale Cub project in.

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-19-2002, 02:12 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

You guys are sick....

Well... I guess it takes one to know one.... I've frequently brought a plane in to charge so I can fly at lunch time.... I've taken projects along on business trips... Heck, I build the fuse and tail feathers for my SuDoKhoi in a hotel room in Toronto!!! Those desks in the hotel rooms are pretty flat!! I even figured out how to build using weights instead of pins.... Although getting the 36" box with balsa parts through customs took some explaining....

I'm forever sneaking out the garage to "just finish one more part".. Everytime my wife calls me and I'm out at the field, she says she is "shocked" and that "she never would have guessed it"

All the guys are work are getting a little sick of all my plane stories... Not to mention the time I spend in the forums... Like right now when I should be finishing a big project....

Oh well.... Gotta love this hobby...
Old 02-20-2002, 02:28 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I work as a tool and diemaker so I have access to lots of machines, both manual and CNC. I haven't done much towards the RC modeling end but when I was still racing dirt late models there were many parts built and modified. Some of the coolest things were parts I made on the wire EDM. HTD pulleys for oil, power steering and fuel pumps came out really nice as well as many alum brackets etc.
I really miss the racing but that's the biggest money pit I've ever seen! RCn's got nothing on racing as far as the $$$ goes. I can almost afford RC!
Later,,, Matt
Old 02-20-2002, 02:37 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Guilty, as well!

I am an Electronic Tech over automated equipment, on a running tour...basically a fireman. Some nights I only truly spend 10 minutes working! But most nights aren't that busy...

I have taken an 8X10 drawing, drawn it up to scale, cut the parts out, and assembled the model, all in a week, (only during lunches, of course!!!) start to finish. I only did the covering at home, because once I start covering, I don't want any interruptions...

I have taken my Litesticks to work, and flown them in the parking lot, night and day, under the lights at night...we have a lot of equipment in the building, or I would fly it inside, but I am working on a modified "Tiny" fun fly that will work on a GWS motor, that hovers, and I will fly that inside, when I get the chance...

I went to school in Oklahoma for work, for 6 weeks, and put together a 4*60 in the hotel room...

Yeah, it can be done! Sure beats a baloney sandwich at lunch!!
Old 02-20-2002, 03:22 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Knotchet...

Originally posted by fitenfyr
Roger hows the Raptor doing? Had to use those spares I sent you yet?
Jason
Nah, even though the weather has been unseasonably warm, the wind has been stiff...I want that 70 degree late afternoon, with just a whisper of wind, if any at all...

so far that has only happened in my studio, with RealFlight running!!!

Looking forward to it, though - I can't believe how much better my contro is getting on the RealFlight! I know it's not an exact replacement, but it can't help but give me a leg up!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 06:23 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default makin' it on co. time

basmentdweller,
I too was in racing... drag racing. I worked in a machine shop in the late 60's on 2nd & 3rd doing some EDM sinking engine lathe tracing (pre cnc) etc. Since there was often as much as an hour watching bubbling oil or chips between setups, I made sketches of all of the things I need for my new dragster. When the time came I had the entire machining process down to exact steps and time required for each piece. As it turned out I made nearly everything, disk brake brackets, the entire front axel, spindles, and wire wheels(even made a spoke truing device) also remachined a belhousing and drive shaft. The big deal was the rear end. I chucked the entire housing in a lathe and cut off the ends and made new ones and welded them on, then made new axels including splines. This was probably the ultimate in being a cheap skate. The car ran very well and made me a lot of $$$ in it's day. The experience has been put to good use as I eventually worked flat rate in the machine shop and I really made out as I knew how to make things quickly and efficiently. Ultimately I went back to school and became a mechanical engineer. The machine shop doesn't give me any hard time when I ask the have some thing made over night as I can still "talk chips to them". Just goes to show that you have to waste time to make time!!! Anyway it's hard to be bored if you have a goal in mind.
I cut my own kits and strip my own planking, don't even use a power sander, (saves gas for the plane).

bentwings