Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC Field Coordinate Database

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Field Coordinate Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Field Coordinate Database

Hi Guys - It's been quite awhile since I posted anything about this, and since the Spring Flying season is fast approaching, I thought it might be time to post it again.

If you haven't seen it posted in other threads on RCU, here is a quick explanation.

I started building a database of the actual location of RC Club Field LOCATIONS about 7 years ago. This is not based on the Club contact info and zip codes. I have captured and recorded the coordinates in Latitude/Longitude in Decimal Degrees (NAD83 for those of you need to know that). The database file is nothing more then an Excel file. It has a BUNCH of Club Info in it!! The way I have it set up it can be directly uploaded into programs such as MSN Streets and Trips, which is way cool for planning some awesome RC vacations. These files are broken up by: AMA Dist's, Non-AMA Clubs, and the International file. Oh, and by the way, there is NOT ONE SINGLE coordinate from the AMA, these have ALL been determined by me as well as a few sent by fellow pilots.

These are located on my little MSN RC website located at: [link=http://groups.msn.com/PuttsRCHomePage/]Putt's RC Home Page[/link]

I have another file in Google Earth that is broken up into three folders, AMA, Non-AMA, and International folders. For those of you who have never used Google Earth it is an awesome program, and it's FREE My file is so large that the Google Map link pretty much just blows up and can only show a very small portion of the total locations at one time. Last count I came up with over 1140 Clubs in the States and over 240 Internationally. Just recently, with the help of some new friends from the Netherlands and from 'Down Under' I have added a bunch of Club Fields from those Countrys. If you want to check this file out click on the following link, read about the history of my project, and then click on the "View In Google Earth" link at the top. If you already have GE loaded it will start your program and load this file. If you don't have GE yet, it will take you to the GE website, and you'll be asked whether you want to load it or not. With this program it's not only got the great sat imagery, but it also has 3D topography as well as the ability to tilt and rotate.

Well if your still reading this, thanks, and here is the Google Earth Link: [link=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/402368/page/]1410+ Remote Control (RC) Airplane Clubs & Runways [/link]

Enjoy and hopefully folks will let me know about their Clubs that I don't have pinned down yet

PS: I also run Magellan GPS's and I can provide both Meridian and Xplorist waypoint files if you'll send me a PM and ask for them. These are broke up into NE, NW, SE, & SW United States files and one International File.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
GPutt33

Default RE: RC Field Coordinate Database

Hello Guys and Gals - I just wanted to take a minute and THANK YOU all for all of the PM's I've received over the weekend with coordinates, maps, and written directions to add more Club Locations to the files. I thought it was kind of weird that no one had replied to the actual thread, but PM's are cool and I like the personal touch some of you have added with the descriptions and pictures.

PLEASE Keep Them Coming.

Hope to see more and hope you can all enjoy and use the files as I intended.

Later
Gregg
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 PM
GPutt33

Just a quick note to let everyone know that use's my files that I just uploaded new Excel files on my website as well as updating the Google Earth file.

Continue to enjoy them. From the looks of the number of times the GE file is getting downloaded it's getting pretty popular.

Later,
Gregg
Old 09-14-2007, 09:35 PM
GPutt33

Well the Google Earth RC Field Location file has just passed the 5000 download mark, so it continues to be popular. I now have just over 2000 RC Fields located worldwide, with the majority still being in the lower 48 here in the States. Google Earth has even taken notice and started making a permanent set of points that come across when you download GE. They are just a small yellow icon, and when you hover over it, it will give you my info and a link to the actual GE file. I did break up the International folder by country.

I am currently having trouble with MSN and my little MSN website. The site won't allow me to delete old files, and so I can't get enough room to update any of the new data files, so if anyone wants the latest master excel file just shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot it out to you.

If anyone caught the coordinates of any new fields during the summer, please continue to pass them on to me and I'll continue to add then to the list. I am averaging about 3 or 4 emails a week from folks with club info.

Good Flying to you all where ever you may be wiggling the sticks at
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

NIGHT HAWKS RC MODEL CLUB
9551 Gibson Road
North Jackson, Ohio 44451
http://www.nighthawksrcclub.com

Lat: 41.060660°
Lon: -80.833878°
Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 PM
GPutt33

Mark P - Thanks a bunch for the info, I'll get it added this week and will post a new GE file here prett quick.