Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Making decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 04:45 AM
Dragoone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Decals

Does anyone know how to make your own decals from a PC and a laser printer. Someone had told me how to do it once, but know I have forgetten how. I think you have to cut the covering to 8x10 sheet and then create the graphics on the PC then invert the image and print to the laser, then just cut it out. If anyone knows the materials i.e. covering type and anything else for that matter just hit me back

Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-14-2002, 06:51 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Making Decals

DON'T put heat shrink covering in a Lazer printer... uness you like repair bills. The resulting mess would be nearly imposible to remove from the printer.

There is a gecal making shet available for use in ink-jet printers. I'd have to look the name back up.

You can coat a sheet ot paper with packing tape as a release layer, then another layer to print on. this will work OK in most ink-jet printers. Let dry, then you fuel-proof the result, peel and stick on the plane.

You can print on photo paper, spray the back with 3M formula 77, apply monoKoat backing (as a release) cut out the graphic, pel and apply to the plane, then fuelprrof with a layer of clear tape or clear MonoKote. (you can sometimes skip the 3-M glue)

You can get full sheet label paper (Avery product) available in white or clear. Again... gota fuel-proof when you've got it on the plane. (I use the white to make my model ID labels... and stick them inside the plane, then cover with clear tape)

There's a few options.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:42 PM
feihu

Default Making decals

I guess you guys never heard of "Clear Decals" for ink jet printers. Comes 10 8x10 sheets per pack. Don't remember what it costs, but I picked it up at Walmart and I don't remember it to be expensive.
Anyway, after making the decal, I cut a piece of clear postage sealing tape slightly larger than the decal and put it over the decal to seal it from fuel and oil.
Works great!
Old 08-15-2002, 06:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Making Decals

The Avery clear label sheets are appx $1 a sheet n the 25 sheet pack. A bit more in the 10 sheet "trial" pack.

Another option:

There are craft store products called "Modge Podge" or "Iconage" (SP?) you paint this stuff on a picture (ink jet printed works, or magazine, newspaper...) let dry, then soak in water and rub the paper from the resulting "plastic" coating. The ink from the paper will be in the "plastic." Paint the location you want the decal with a bit of the same stuff, thinned a little with water, and that is the adhesive. The edges dissapear.

I haven't tested the stuff for fuel resistance... It is somewhat heat sensitive... I made a "trivit" with the "Iconage" stuff, and when a very hot Corningware dish was placed on it (boiled stuff on the stove...) it acted like hot-melt glue.
Heck of a deal to pry the ceramic trivit from the Corningware dish.