Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

NOOOOOOOO, Not Banners!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

NOOOOOOOO, Not Banners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 04:35 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NOOOOOOOO, Not Banners!!!!

Oh no, my favorite site has 'fallen'....let's hope they don't slow this site down - it's one of if not THE fastest site for modeling info.....

Jerry
Old 02-17-2002, 04:55 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen

Darrin C
Old 02-17-2002, 04:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would I let you guys down....never...I have to load more pages a day here than any of you (well most) and if I have to wait too long I'll be the first to blow my stack!

Just testing things out so be patient...no popups coming or crazy java applet ads...just small text based ads (very fast) or small file size banners (max 2 per page or less). All will be RC related and targeted as much as possible to specific forum interests after the test phase is out of the way...

I'm doing all kinds of programming to make it fast and cool.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:00 AM
rcaerobatics-RCU

Default it will not...

Banners will not slow the site.

Jay Barcelo
Old 02-18-2002, 03:04 AM
GrnBrt

Well if they don't slow the system down and are R/C related then go for it as I will click on those before I would a stupid MONKEY!!!! I will have a banner and trust me if I thought it would slow down this great place I wouldn't have taken one. (Now look at that grin! would I misslead you?) Don't answer that Jerry!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:52 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Default RC Ads only!!!

I would love to see RC ads. No financial, get rich quick, or health, lose weight fast schemes, but RC oriented, informative ads. On RCOnline (bless it's soul, it WAS the originator of thes4e types of sites), I saw many ads that I really appreciated seeing. Alternative sources for things, new things that I would not have known about, etc., were very helpful and not annoying.

Keep it subject related and I'll be happy.

Sincerely,
Mark
Old 02-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Ed Smith

If I want Ads I will buy a magazine. We are bombarded with tasteless, intrusive ads from all directions, if they start showing up here then it's goodbye.

Ed S
Old 02-18-2002, 03:07 PM
mvigod
Banned

Ed,

I can assure you there will be no tasteless ads on this site nor intrusive. There will be one and possibly two banners on any page and will be RC related of course and in good taste as I review personally every ad that will be shown here.

Over the next month there will be some test ads so I can run the functions of the banners system here (like the rccartoon ad running) but other than that you are already seeing the extent of the ads so they must not have been so bad or you would have been gone already, right?

They also will be bandwidth friendly and not slow things down at all here. If they add 1 or 2 seconds to the page load that might be it (if you are on 56k and less for dsl or cable)...not much for a site that is already blazing fast.

Also they are going to be targeted...so if you are in the jet forum you will be more likely to see a jet related ad then an rc car related ad.

Other sites have done many tasteless and intrusive ads in all directions as you say and that is why I'm doing it different and better.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Ed Smith

Marc,

Thanks for the response and the promise! So far so good.

Ed S
Old 02-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default Ads

Marc, I do hope you plan to host the actual ads on your server, as I'm sure you've seen what happens when the ad is hosted (linked to) on a slow server, even if the page itself is on a fast one. Weakest link so to say.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:08 PM
mvigod
Banned

Jim D,

No need to fear...all ads and banner software is hosted by me. Hope everyone understands that I'm a speed freak here on the web....the site has to be fast...I've been working on linux servers and programming for 6 years with one of my top priorities always being lightning fast speed. I have the attention span of a gnat so if my site is slow I'll go elsewhere and we can't have that

All ads are hosted on my servers and will continue to be...

I have already wrestled with our "img" tag feature which allows users to link to images on other websites and have them appear inline with their post. If those images load slow so do our pages. Convenient feature but at times backfires when a user posts a large image or if the external server they are pulling from is slow. I started with it on, then shut it off to keep the site fast and then after complaints turned it back on and have the mods and users looking out for large or slow loading images. Just to show you I'm not sleeping at the wheel
Old 02-24-2002, 06:29 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc, U DA MAN!!! This place really , really ROCKS!!!! I will only click on those banners that offer me a FREE set of Ginsu steak for $19.99 - Man, you know how I hate to pass up a great deal!!!
John
Old 03-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

NOOOOOOOOO! i just had a pop up, first web page i've clicked all day, even came straight to the post from the E-mail thing i got, and i got a POP UP!!
my poor slow connection, and after that i dont even need a dating agency DOUBLE DAMN lol
Dont quite understand anyone that would stop using this site just because of that, but there you go lol
I gave up with RCOnline coz it took forever to load and i just know it all
Old 03-15-2002, 05:58 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

If banner ads help keep this site fast and free, than that's just fine by me. Banners are not intrusive and don't disrupt the browsing experience.

Pop ups are evil, and the pencil necked geek that thought them up should be tar and feathered.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:06 PM
John B

Originally posted by MikeL
If banner ads help keep this site fast and free, than that's just fine by me. Banners are not intrusive and don't disrupt the browsing experience.

Pop ups are evil, and the pencil necked geek that thought them up should be tar and feathered.
When ya get done with the tar and feathering , LET ME AT HIM FOR AWHILE!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Cactus.

found out sommit interesting today. some progs you download like to be nosey, i got Kazza which is a file share program, not a MP3 getting program at all noooooo but it takes a look at what you look at, and then sends you adverts, and so i got this program, and with it found a folder in my system files with a load of web pages saved, yep, every now and again it fires one up, and i think thats what happened here the other day. not a pop up, but this program kicking in.
anyway, this.....
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...06-110-7302674
searches your system and gets rid of stuff, make a back up first incase anything stops working. i just did it, found i couldnt look at the web page i was looking at, rebooted and its all ok. i just left microsoft stuff and something called on-flow alone and got rid of rest, maybe that will sort it. and hopefully sort anyone whos wondering why they get pop ups at weird times
Old 08-28-2002, 05:41 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

"No need to fear...all ads and banner software is hosted by me"

I just saw the hobby lobby ad and the properties were www.hobbylobby.........

Have we changed our policy Marc?
Old 08-29-2002, 02:08 AM
gubbs3

Whatever you do, don't allow for pop ups! Ever!!!! This site will turn RCO on you if you allow for pop ups. On my computer I have a program called Pop Up Killer. It works very well. It starts automatically when the computer is turned on. When a pop up opens it asks you whether you want to ignore, close, add to black list, or add to ignore list. Just click "add to black list" and it closes and you will never see that one again.

And now the best part...

When a pop up opens, it gets shot down! An audible shotgun blast blows it away! I'll just be typing a message like this and BOOM! Then I just think to myself "Haha b****!!!"
Old 08-29-2002, 02:33 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Pop-up Stopper

I run pop-up stopper too, and it's great. The only problem is that it seems that RCU changed a couple of months back - it used too always run in a single window. Even if you clicked on a pic in someone's post (to see the full-size pic) it used to use the same window. That seems to have changed, and now a new pop-up window is used for those - which means that I have to turn pop-up killer off periodically while using RCU... and then I forget it's off, go to yahoo news, and get bombarded by pop-up krap.

Pity RCU didn't leave their site pop-up free... but I guess it's impossible for Marc to keep us all happy all of the time ! ;-)

Gordon
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 AM
GrnBrt

Try holding down your Ctrl key when clicking on a picture or a link in a post, works for me.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:43 AM
ben flyn

Marc,
I don't have to worry about this site; It has always been done with class! Thanks Marc for the many enjoyable hours I have spent here. What an asset this is to the R\C industry!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

RCadmin,
Please continue to use banners as the advertisers offset the cost of the site. It is now the best around and free. We all know nothing in life is truly free and un-abused. This is one of the rare treasures and we need to help in keeping it that way.

Thanks for a great service.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by GrnBrt
Try holding down your Ctrl key when clicking on a picture or a link in a post
Yowser ! You da man !! Now I wish that I had brought this up earlier. ;-)

Gordon
Old 08-29-2002, 03:49 PM
gubbs3

Default Re: Pop-up Stopper

Originally posted by Gordon Mc
I run pop-up stopper too, and it's great. The only problem is that it seems that RCU changed a couple of months back - it used too always run in a single window. Even if you clicked on a pic in someone's post (to see the full-size pic) it used to use the same window. That seems to have changed, and now a new pop-up window is used for those - which means that I have to turn pop-up killer off periodically while using RCU... and then I forget it's off, go to yahoo news, and get bombarded by pop-up krap.

Pity RCU didn't leave their site pop-up free... but I guess it's impossible for Marc to keep us all happy all of the time ! ;-)

Gordon
There is an ignore list on the pop up killer I use. I believe it uses the title of the window to identify it so once you add it to the ignore list there is never a problem.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:41 PM
mvigod
Banned

Hi...we don't have any popup ads but the pictures in some places WILL popup and that was by user request...I did have it so they weren't popup pics and lots of folks didn't ever want to lose their place so I did it that way...

As for popup ads we don't do them and never will.

As for serving our own ads the answer is yes we do all the back end database and image serving with the one exception of the hobby lobby code as you just found out...before I made that decision I tracked their server speed and uptime to ensure their images would load quickly and reliably...if they don't my monitoring will catch it and serve locally. All the core code is off of RCU though and only the image file comes from their server as their ads change often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.