Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Model Airparks in Arizona?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model Airparks in Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Airparks in Arizona?

I am looking at purchasing a retirement home and would like to know if there are any R/C Model Airparks in Arizona? I have seen both RC World and On Top of the World however, with the storm track record over the past few years I don't like the odds. My wife and I have spent time looking over Tucson, especially Avra Valley/Marana, Phoenix and the area in between and I would like to relocate out West instead of Florida.

Marty
Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Model Airparks in Arizona?

Check out this web site I believe this might be what your looking for.
http://timpa.org/
Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
AZAV8R

The Central Arizona Modelers Advisory Council has a list of flying sites and descriptions as well as a map of the sites around the Metro Phoenix area on their website. They also have a calendar of events and links to the websites of various Arizona clubs that are members of CAMAC.

Here is their link - http://www.rcaz.com/camac/camac.htm

Mike
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I've been to the AMPS field in North Phoenix, seemed like a decent bunch
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Munkster

PM "GeeBeeJim". He's been flying in Tucson since kites became popular
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Ed

[] Kites ? ................... Yikes ! [>:]

Well closest to the city of Tucson, we have 3. ( We just had a 4th one shut down. [] ) We have the Southern Arizona Modelers, just southeast of the city, and located at the Pima county fair grounds. East of the city again, we have the Tucson Radio Control Club, probably the largest club in the city, and very active. Just west of the city we have the Catalina club, and far west of the city we have TIMPA, or the Tucson International Modelplex Association. That still makes 4 fields. All good clubs with paved runways, some just have bigger and better facilities then others. TIMPA for example, hosts the now famous TUCSON SHOOTOUT. I guess it all comes down to which side of the city that you favor to live in, but regardless of where you locate in Tucson, all of the clubs are within easy driving distance.

Phoenix also has some excellent facilities, but Tucson is a little higher in elevation, and a little cooler.

Marty, you are very perceptive in realizing that Arizona has superior flying weather then Florida. Florida gets a lot of press because of it's large population, and numbers of R/C clubs there. But in Phoenix and Tucson we fly 52 weeks per year, and we are not interrupted by storms, hurricanes, tornados, or earthquakes. Sure it gets hot during the summer months, but when you see peak tempertures recorded for us, you must realize that those peaks are taken around 3 pm in the afternoon. We get our flying in during the morning hours, and are long gone from the field by 1 pm. Right now the weather is magnificant, with afternoon Temps in the mid 80's, and of course dry.

Email me if you need more. [8D] Address at bottom of page.

> Jim
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks all for your postings.

Jim, I am also a full scale pilot and have ferried several planes from LA back to the Midwest. I always made Avara Valley one of my stops. I also got to know Herb Ross who formed Custom Aircraft located at AV. I took his RV class in late June and he had a couple of bees wax candles on one of the work tables. When the candles started to bend, normally around noon, we left for the day and came back after 6PM. I can still recall one of my weather briefiers telling me they had reduced visibility and that it was only 50 miles! Sheeshhh if we get anything over three here in the Great Lakes we are happy. Thanks for all your input. I really favored Tuscon, the added 1000' altitude and 10 degrees cooler over Phoenix made me a believer. I also noticed how much the humidity has increased in and around Phoenix with all the irrigation channeling they have done over the past 20 years.

Marty
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I had the pleasure to meet GeeBee Jim at the AMPS field fly-in one year.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah GeeBeeJim is one cool dude....but believe it or not, he DIDN'T bring a Gee Bee to our last fly-in (1/8th Air Force)!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: tailskid

he DIDN'T bring a Gee Bee to our last fly-in (1/8th Air Force)!!!
Hey Skids, and you didn't even stop by to say hello ? [] No Gee Bee this time round, I was somewhat under the weather. I was having a bout with vertigo on Saturday. Not a good condition to be flying a Gee Bee with. I didn't even break out the Spitfire that I had with me, was feelin pretty pukey. Just flew my pokey ole Chipmunk that flys like a Cub. Maybe the Gee Bee Z will come up to the AMPS field in October.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look'n forward to seeing you then.....and we now have a member who also LOVES Gee Bee's!!!! Todd Cox is his name...