Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Monokote vs Ultracote

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Kaos Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote vs Ultracote

Folks,

What's the ONE best trait you like for either product.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Re: Monokote vs Ultracote

Ultracote: works well

Monokote: Makes my Ultracote covered planes look better when placed beside a moneykote covered aircraft
Old 02-19-2003, 06:21 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Like Monocoat colors better---but UltraCoat hols up better in the sun--since I fly mostly in the sun.......
Old 02-19-2003, 07:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how easy UC is to use
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 PM
mulligan

Monokote has matchable paint colors.

- George
Old 02-19-2003, 07:55 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Ultracote will have paints available soon. The monkote paints match only if your in dark room.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultracote, hands-down ... it doesn't wrinkle like Monokote does.

When I was doing my 13 month-long house remodel, all of my airplanes were stored in a large metal container in my driveway. At the end, when I pulled the models back out again, the covering on every single Ultracote covered model was still drum-tight. The Monokote model, on the other hand, was totally wrinkled like a prune, and never did recover properly.

Gordon
Old 02-19-2003, 08:03 PM
mulligan

I haven't experienced such greatness with Ultracote. My H9 P-51, which comes with a nice job of Ultracote, wrinkled quite a bit after just a couple of flights. Didn't heat up/shrink nicely either.

Frankly, if I build a plane, it's gonna be fiberglassed- none of the heat shrinks are that great, IMO.

rc_sport, my experience has been different. I prime my surfaces with Pactera Prep, and colors seem to match very well, but maybe I just haven't used/seen the colors you have experience with... or I'm just color blind :spinnyeye :rainfro: :spinnyeye

- George
Old 02-19-2003, 08:06 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Ultracote seems to be much easier to work with, and remains good looking longer. Haven't had a problem with matching paint yet, I've even found that some Top-Flite Lustercote paints (made to match monokote) actually match the ultracote, and much better!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:31 PM
desertphreak3d-RCU

Default I'll take Monokote

After a miserable experience with the H9 P-51, and years of working with Monokote, I'll stick with Monokote. It looks better, its about as tough, and despite what others say, when done correctly never wrinkles back up. The two planes I have had with ultracoat constantly needed the heat gun treatment and I found out that UC does not shrink as much as Monokote and some wrinkles became permanent.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:20 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been using monokote since the early seventies when supermonokote first came out. I really know all the traits to monokote so I use it and anyone thats seen my planes will say I have the best covering jobs they've ever seen. Can I get the same results from other brands? Don't know, never tried, have no reason to....
Old 02-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Try ultrakote - you'll like it.

I too have use monokote since the mid seventies. I was a die-hard monokote fan until I tried ultrakote. I REALLY like it. Goes on at a lower temp with NO shrink, then hit it with the heat gun and you get a very controlable shrink. I have probably covered 50+ airplanes with monokote so I know how to use it and - while there is nothing wrong with it - I like ultrakote better.

As for colors, I use PPG paints so I get a perfect match anytime. I have tried lustorkote - as long as you use the lusterkote primer (white primer) and shake the can for a good 10 solid minutes before ever spraying it, it works OK at best.

A few things to remember about ultrakote - and may explain some of the problems with ARFS, put it on at 225 F - this is where the adhesive activates and there is no shrink. Then shrink it with the least amount of extra heat that you can. It you have to shrink it again, it has to be heated above the highest temp it was has been exposed to in the past.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:39 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

I use and like both Ultracote and Monokote.

Doug
Old 02-20-2003, 08:11 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have always preferred monokote. If they continue to have the problems like the last 3 rolls I bought, will switch to ultracote though. I have used it and liked it. Monokote has not been sticking too well as of lately.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:44 PM
conkster

i won`t go back to monokote!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:54 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

I had two planes in the back of my station wagon last summer that sat in the sun all day . The monocoat one looked great, the ultracoat was like a prune! Had to recover part of it! Don`t normally leave in sun but just happened . I still use them both ,but our LHS only handles monocoat. Ultracoat is a little easier to use but think monocoat is stronger. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

ultra coat shrinks a little better at first, but after age, i ahve an older plane and it just doesn't shrink anymore, the monokote seems to shrink more. i also don't like the way the ultracote seams pull away and move.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:38 PM
J roc

Default Ultracote

Monocote good points- stays shiny,more colors,lighter,
bad points- harder to stretch around curves, punctures easier, color is adhesive and can come off if you try to readjust covering. and wrinkles over time easier.
Ultracote, easier, stays shrunk better, more puncture resistant, gos around curves fillets easier, color will not come off if you readjust.
The only thing Ive found bad with ultracote is that it will become dull and lose its shiny appearance but it is so nice to work with it gets my vote.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:49 PM
P-51B

Default Re: Ultracote

Originally posted by Red Rover
Monocote good points- stays shiny,more colors,lighter,
bad points- harder to stretch around curves, punctures easier, color is adhesive and can come off if you try to readjust covering. and wrinkles over time easier.
Ultracote, easier, stays shrunk better, more puncture resistant, gos around curves fillets easier, color will not come off if you readjust.
The only thing Ive found bad with ultracote is that it will become dull and lose its shiny appearance but it is so nice to work with it gets my vote.
I'd say that about covers it! (pun intended)
Old 02-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default ARF Ultracote.

As I noticed above, a person didn't like the Ultracote job on a H9 P51. I also noticed on my Pizazz that the "Ultracote" is not very good quality. Also a friend has a US 60 that is all wrinkles and looks terrible.

I don't think they are using the same "Ultracote" overseas that we can buy on the roll. Either that or they are ruining it when it is applied. I love Ultracote and use it on everything, but the ARF ultracote has a ways to go. Here's one of my UC covered planes:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57207_21443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	35416  
Old 02-22-2003, 09:24 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Default Although I voted Ultracote.

Actually, it's Oracover here. For open framework airplanes, I think Monokote may be a little bit nicer, although the Funtana I Oracovered turned out pretty darned nicely and it has yet to show a droop or a sag.

For fully sheeted surfaces, Oracover all the way. My Synergy 3D is Oracover'ed and is beautiful. My Patty Wagstaff Extra from GP is Monokoted and I am not really impressed at all.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57465_3789.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	35417  
Old 02-22-2003, 09:48 PM
conkster

Default oracover

mark why oracover instead of ultracote?stronger , easier to apply? i love uc compared mc . would u suggest i try oracover? thanks conk
Old 02-22-2003, 09:51 PM
P-51B

Oracover is Ultracote.

Same thing, different name.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:54 AM
Vulturetec

ONE trait? Monokote just plain looks better (shinier, cleaner, better). I tried to do an airplane with Ultracote and it wasn't bad stuff, just didn't look as good and after I put it in the sun awhile it wrinkled a bit just like monokote tends to. The kind of graphics I do seem to lay down better on Ultracote (it seems to let air gas through) but the overall quality of the product wasn't to my liking, the Ultracote looked like computer-cut vinyl while the monokote looks like paint.

These two are 100% monokote, the yellow one has been in a Florida garage for 5 years and does have wrinkled ailerons the rest is still pretty tight. The green one seems to shift with the weather but it's usually drum tight, particularly the fuselage.