Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

formation

Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 PM
starfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default formation

Does any body know how the missing man formation goes? any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:23 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default formation

The flyover formation is a vee with #2 off the left wing of #1 - #3 and #4 are off the right wing of #1 with #3 closest to the leader. When the formation flys over the ceremony #3 pulls straight up, and if the aircraft is capable, out of sight. The balance of the formation continues straight ahead, with the #3 spot left open.
I probably won't get the honor of the "Missing Man", but have instructed my survivors to break my wings in half and put them in my coffin. This tradition is much older than the "Missing Man" and just as honorable.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 PM
starfox

Default formation

Thanks. My grandpa just died and I thought that it would be nice to do that in honor of my grandpa.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:16 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Default formation

Dont be afraid to go to your local airport and ask if any pilots would be interested.You'd be surprised just how many have participated in this.When my father passed,I asked my friend from my airport if anyone knew how to organize this and I was surprised to find out that there is a handful of guys that has done it on numerous previous occasions.Trust me,the aircraft do not need to be jets or fast to make a lasting impression.My father's flyover was done with a dehavilland chipmunk,a luscombe, a yankee and my friend flying my cub in the missing man slot.When the planes flew over,it was by far the most emotional part of the ceremony for everyone in attendance.