The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

LHS/Flying Field Houston?

Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LHS/Flying Field Houston?

Evening All,

I'm flying to Houston in a couple of weeks to visit family. Any recommendations on a good LHS in the Richmond/Sugarland area? Also, my sister says there is a field near the American Shooting Centre on Westheimer... anyone know it?... won't be doing any flying while I'm there, but thought that breathing a little castor & nitro might prevent withdrawal symptoms!

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:21 PM
beepee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CP140,

There is a good LHS right there on Hwy59 at the Sugarland exit (Southbound) on the East side. The field that you are referring to is Scobee Field that is the home of the Bayou City Fliers. There is a nice paved runway and usually a good collection of fliers. It is popular, of course, on the weekends with all variety of aircraft. If you want to come by during the week, Tuesdays and Thursdays is the meeting time for retirees and those that don't have to work there ***** off everyday like most of us.

Scobee Field is on Westhiemer Parkway in George Bush (the elder) Park. Go west of Hwy 6 and take the right fork that comes up about 0.1 miles after 6. After a couple of miles you will see the Shooting Center on the right, there will be a stop light, then Scobee is next, about 0.2 miles after the stop light. You can see the club house and field right away.

Come on out, we would love to have ya!

Bedford
Old 02-21-2003, 05:59 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bedford,

Thanks for the info (and the invite!). I'll have to see what time/finances allow...I think I'm digging a few post holes while I'm there to help out my sister... BTW, what is the name of the LHS you mentioned... that way I could call ahead and get their hours... nothing worse than showing up and finding out they're closed for the day!

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Ptarmigan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scobee Field is a great flying field in Houston. Its near the shooting center. I fly there. I will hopefully fly during Spring Break in 2 weeks also. Hopefully I will see you there.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:39 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scobee field March 8th and 9th

CP140 - I'm going to be in Houston for a week of meetings , and managed to fly down a day early just so I could go out and visit everyone at Scobee field. I had a chance to meet a few of them last fall during a trip, great bunch of RC'ers. Hope to see you there.

BeePee and Ptarmigan - I hope invitation is still open to all to come and visit and watch

If my memory hasn't completely failed me, I think Texas3D told me in another thread that if I could get down during the weekend of March 15th, you guys were having a big fly in of the "Brotherhood". I would have really like to have been able to move my schedule around to have been able to hang around for that, but couldn't swing it

Hope to see you all on the 8th and 9th, weather permitting
Old 02-24-2003, 12:16 PM
beepee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CP140,

The shop is RC Hobby Shop (how unique!). The proprietor is Jim Rose, nice guy and RC flier. The phone number is 281-265-4844.

The invitation to visit Scobee is open to all. It is a public field requiring only proof of AMA membership to fly.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 02-26-2003, 02:40 AM
YNOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few other places to consider:

Ft Bend County R/C has a great field at the Ft. Bend County Fairgrounds. Hwy. 36 and 59. Down in the Sugarland/Richmond area.

At 288 and the Tollway, not to far from that area, is another public field. Thats the heli field in Houston.

About 10 minutes down Westheimer from Scobee, is Trains and Planes Toys & Hobbies. R/C stuff and all types of other cool stuff that us airplane people like .
Old 02-27-2003, 05:10 AM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll have to whip out my map and plan my "day out"!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:19 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

beepee,

You sure have a nice facility! Managed to swing by your field late one afternoon last week. There wasn't much going on (it was kinda late in the day)... but it sure made me jealous.... our field is surrounded by trees! Never did get to a hobby shop(sigh)... too much other "stuff" to do!
Old 03-17-2003, 12:41 AM
beepee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CP140,

Glad you liked it. The county has provided much of the fixin's and the Club takes care of the rest. I like it too. That is why I drive 40 miles to get there.

Bedford
Old 03-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Ptarmigan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was at Scobee Field on Saturday (yesterday) and saw the fun fly event. It was cool. I saw lots of model airplanes there. Never seen so many in my life.