Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've joined the "Dark Side" II

I posted this in the Electric forum last evening and so far have gotten nothing back from those Folks. Do you suppose that I "offended" them when I said I turned? (I'm usually a Glow Flyer). You be the Judge....

"Well, I finally did it. After my Club has gotten permission to use the local park for an electric flying field, I started to work on a scratch built electric flyer. I never got past making the wings, I'm sorry to say, but since I am a "Glow-man" and was building a 60 Aeromaster, I didn't give it much more thought.

Well, I went to Toledo and saw all sorts of new and exciting things, a lot of eletric planes and accessories, and decided to start looking seriously into getting something to fly at the local field, or just take to work. I picked up a free copy of Backyard Flyer at Toledo and was riffling through the pages and found the write up on the new Hobby Lobby Bellanca Decathlon 480 RTF.The report and the price sold me, and I ordered one, along with the optional aileron servo. Now I'm looking forward to flying again, both Glow and Electric. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a boondoggle.

Has anyone else had any experience with this particular RTF? Also, if I want to up the power, how would I do that? Remember, I'm a total Newbie to eletrics, but can fly my Avistars along with my Graduate pretty good. Thanks for the input all! "

Don

Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Hmmm....I thought the Dark Side was Heli's
Old 04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
donhef

Dog-gone it...that's the answer!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

Hmmm....I thought the Dark Side was Heli's

Technically, I think the Dark Side refers to anything other than Glow powered planes or Turbine powered jets.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Dark Side ... you will learn the truth of the Dark Side and the powers that it posses. The ability to have silent flight, stress free fuselage, cleaner airplanes, awesome power and a much SMALLER bank balance!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope.

The Dark Side is the back side of the hill when your flying slope Dynamic Soaring.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The dark side is charcoal colored side of the plane after your lithium battery spontaneously combusts.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM
tIANci

Rcpilet - 301 mph?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
donhef

You Guys owe me a new keyboard and monitor! never drink water and read this board at the same time!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Now I thought the dark side was riding a motorcycle other than a Harley.
John

Proud owner of a Yamaha Road Star.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
CP140

Now, now, gentlemen. We are all flyers under the skin.... let us not criticize or ostracize a fellow flyer just because he measures his endurance in watts instead of ounces ...or because he "plugs in" instead of "fuels up".... or because he has a collective stick (...whatever that is...). Let us remember what brought us to the field in the first place.... the desire to defeat gravity... to soar with the birds... to let slip the surly bonds of earth.

For, after all is said and done, we are all one...except for those demons amongst us (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) who truly have crossed over to the dark side by playing with RC cars and trucks.....
Old 04-28-2007, 06:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A-MEN!

Electrics can be lots of fun Don. The one thing you really want to be careful of is the lipo batteries. To those of us who are used to NiCads and MiMh's they can be very dangerous. Especially after a crash or while charging (I have a friend who lost close to a million bucks when his garage/barn/workshop burned down while charging LiPo's)

Do a little research on them if you haven't already.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If God had meant model airplanes to fly on flashlight power, he would have given flashlights wings.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:16 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Kmot

If God had meant model airplanes to fly on flashlight power, he would have given flashlights wings.
I love it!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
tIANci

Same old nonsense, KMOT maybe its time you stop acting like some REDNECK and let some people who want to talk EP talk EP, no one who is in EP bothers to insult your hydro carbon burning engines. This is so darn lame ok ... please we are pretty sick of listening to who is better than who, its a bloody hobby, just leave it that way. Same old nonsense everytime someone in RCU talks about EP. Get real ... watch your mags ... EP takes about 50% of the advertising, the manufacturers know where to spend their money ok. None of us EP guys care of you wanna fly glow, if you do then good on you but why start all that talk about Glow Is Better or more PROPER. Grow up ...

Learn from Thumper's mother in BAMBI ... If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing ...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Same old nonsense, KMOT maybe its time you stop acting like some REDNECK and let some people who want to talk EP talk EP, no one who is in EP bothers to insult your hydro carbon burning engines. This is so darn lame ok ... please we are pretty sick of listening to who is better than who, its a bloody hobby, just leave it that way. Same old nonsense everytime someone in RCU talks about EP. Get real ... watch your mags ... EP takes about 50% of the advertising, the manufacturers know where to spend their money ok. None of us EP guys care of you wanna fly glow, if you do then good on you but why start all that talk about Glow Is Better or more PROPER. Grow up ...

Learn from Thumper's mother in BAMBI ... If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing ...

WOW I thought we were just poking fun at each other!

John
Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Kmot

tANCi: Perhaps you need to take a chill pill, and stop being so uptight about your choice of propulsion systems. Develop a sense of humor. Because after all, flying electric is rather humorous, isn't it?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
tIANci

JNorton - have you not read the other EP vs Glow type threads? You get some forumers who call others things like sissies and stating that people who love EP are basically ignorant. That is sooooo boring. Don't get it why its so prevalent in RCU ... does not happen in RC Groups when you get people asking which is better ... EP or GP.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

JNorton - have you not read the other EP vs Glow type threads? You get some forumers who call others things like sissies and stating that people who love EP are basically ignorant. That is sooooo boring. Don't get it why its so prevalent in RCU ... does not happen in RC Groups when you get people asking which is better ... EP or GP.

The main thing I take from most of those threads is the elitist electric flyers refering to glow and gas power flyers as "slimers" amongst other verbage. And yes, it does happen on RC groups just as much, I frequent that board also. (P.S. I fly glow, gas, and electric...oh and powerless gliders also)

Hmmm, maybe I need to build me a flying flashlight, that was pretty funny!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
tIANci

Kmot - took 2 chill pills ... will call you tomorrow morning. Are the red ones better or the blue ones?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Kmot

LOL

I like the red ones.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Clipclop

I've avoided the electric world because it does not create a carbon foot print and contribute to controversy. How much footprint does an ignited lipo battery cause? Where can I buy "carbon offsets" to counter the climate damage my nitro and gas engines create? How many trees must I plant to offset a 10 minute flight? The dark side devotees can't answer these questions, so fuel up and fly.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Clipclop

I've avoided the electric world because it does not create a carbon foot print and contribute to controversy. How much footprint does an ignited lipo battery cause? Where can I buy "carbon offsets" to counter the climate damage my nitro and gas engines create? How many trees must I plant to offset a 10 minute flight? The dark side devotees can't answer these questions, so fuel up and fly.
Actually, if truth be told, and you look at the "life cycle" of electric components, they are FAR worse for the environment than glow or gas. They have a huge carbon footprint just in the energy expended making the things, and lets not even get into the hazardous materials that they contribute to landfills...that will eventually leak into the groundwater.

So, you can try them out and have no fear of electrics not creating a carbon footprint, as they most assuredly do. If algore and his minions are out of carbon offsets, I'm pretty sure I have a few in my back pocket I could sell ya!!!

Also, don't forget that any trees you plant to offset a 10 minut flight only work if they are on the center of the runway where they can best capture the fumes.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
donhef

Oy Vey! What did I start here?

On the other hand, If I wanted to hop this little plane up, besides going with the LiPo batteries (too expensive at this time for me!), what other motors do I have a choice of? It's running on a 480 can right now.

Don
Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 PM
tIANci

clipclop - you are most mistaken, the carbon footprint of EP is huge and far reaching. To assist in making the batteries we require chemicals that are hazzadous and there will be pollution of the environment in the process of making them. When we dispose of the batteries its just chucked away and you will have contamination into the ground. Don't forget that to charge the batteries we need to use electricity, the source of that is causing major enviromental issue be it from your car battery or a wall charger.

But most of all in order to sustain EP planes we need to work much harder, thus we need to rape and plunder the Earth even more so we can feed that hobby of ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.