The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Hall of Fame Member Passed Away

Old 02-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Tippie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Hall of Fame Member Passed Away

This mornings Atlanta Journal/Constitution (Feb 24, 2003) obituary has a large column noting the passing (Feb 22, 2003) of George Perryman, 1984 AMA Hall of Fame Inductee. He was 78 years young. Noted for the design of the "Mini-Maxer" model kit, with 60,000 kits made, the largest selling kit of all time. As honored by the AMA, he was one of the 10 most influential model aircraft designers of all time. His engineering training consisted of mechanical drawing class in the 9th grade. He studied to be a geologist at Emory University but became a wind tunnel expert at Lockheed after joining them in 1951 and helped design highly classified aircraft, retired after 37 years with Lockheed. Another dedicated model pioneer will be missed.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/met...4perryman.html
Old 02-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Hall of Fame Member Passed Away

When I started RC we flew in a field off of Fulton Co. Industrial because the Cobb Co. field was lost. This was not a club field but a field that was for sale for industrial/commercial use. Sometimes George would be there with his rubber powered planes. When in college I flew his Mini Maxer as a glider with some clay in place of a propeller. I launced it many times from the top floor of a dorm. It was trimmed to glide in a circle and it would sometimes glide for a few minutes, it it didn't hit a wall or tree. Sometimes it would climb well above the dorms, I remember retrieving it from the roof on a number of occasions.

A couple of years ago I went to a local indoor model meet and George was there, I introduced him to my son. Glad I did that before he died. I enjoyed flying rubber free flight models, but don't care to build them. Too small.

George will be sorely missed.