Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electrician needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Wildcard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrician needed

A short time ago I bought a GP Cordless Slot Machine. This tool works great. If you use CA hinges I highly recommend it. Now it's time for the BUT. I went and got the cordless one thinking that it is just one less thing I have to plug in. Like the cordless drill. It's not the case here. This battery dies shortly after you start using it, well maybe not quite that soon, but I was unable to finish slotting my SIG Kavalier. The wood is not hard wood, I fully charged the thing right after I got it (roughly 12 hrs) and once more prior to working on the plane. I had to play with my new toy prior to trying it out on the plane . Finally, my question is, can anyone help me figure a way to hot wire this thing to a plug, or even get the charger to provide the power? Right now it doesn't run when it is plugged in. There has got to be a way I can solve this small, but annoying problem. Thanks in advance. Brett
Old 02-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

a batt normally likes a big charge on the first go, 24 hours or so. it shouldnt go flat that quick, its only a spinning motor.
depending on the voltage you can rig a normal power supply to provide the urge.
I have one here that will give me 1A at various voltages, this is perfect, remove the batts and wire in one of these instead.

you might have a dud there mate... get it changed
Old 02-25-2003, 12:14 PM
kk5zc
My Feedback: (30)

Default Cordless slot machine

My experience has been the same with the GP Cordless Slot Machine. I wish I had purchased the coded model. I am able to make about 5 hinge slots with a fully charged battery before the battery goes dead. Also, the power is nothing in comparison to the corded model. I have a friend that has the corded model and I borrow it when I need to make hinge slots. I have also considered hooking the slotter up to a power supply, but I don't have a power supply with a variable voltage output. I also considered replacing the batteries.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

whats the voltage of the batts? im sure you could get a aftermarket pack with a higher capicaty. if not if you know the voltage you know which PSU to get, should be $20ish
Old 02-25-2003, 12:54 PM
ben flyn

I just learned a trick using my cordless drill in the shop. ALL of my cordless tools lose their charge just sitting there. So I plug my charger in a lamp timer and set it to come on an hour a day and now I always have a fully charged tool.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 AM
Lynx

All Nicads do this, and as long as the charger is a low rate charger the 1 hour a day thing is perfect. C/10 can usually be applied to a NiCad permenantly without harm.