Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Has RCU been helpful in your selection of an AMA candidate?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
69.39%
No
22.45%
I am not an AMA member
8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Has RCU been helpful in your selection of an AMA candidate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:11 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has RCU been helpful in your selection of an AMA candidate?

RCadmin, AKA Marc, made RCU available to the AMA presidential candidates this year. Do you feel the communication fostered, in the person of Dave Mathewson, was helpful? Is it something RCU should do in the future, perhaps opening RCU to all candidates including the Executive VP, and the VP positions? Did it cause you to vote, when you normally might not have? Would you like to see more candidates participate in the future? What are your thoughts?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Has RCU been helpful in your selection of an AMA candidate?

Yes I did find it very helpful and for the first time in a very long time I voted.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Voted no, But I did vote in the AMA election. Last year I did not, don't even remember who was running....

This hobby we call RC is a broad hobby, with narrower niches like ARF assembling, Kit building, scratch building ect ect. Personally, I don't like politics. In fact, I despise them. I despise politicians and think their all corrupt (real ones, not the AMA guys). BUT since I don't like politics I avoid politicial discussions. Hence why RCU hasn't been helpful in deciding.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted yes and am glad Dave Mathewson made himself avail to answer questions..

I would also wish every district VP would do the same...
Seems most get elected and stay within their own confines and
do not serve their total district..

Robby
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Absolutely! While at it I discovered what a responsive and forthright candidate should be. Thanks Dave Mathewson.

quint
Old 11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
BillyGoat

Yes I did consider RCU to be very helpful.

If Dave Mathewson should win this election I’ll bet that future candidates will feel a forum for Q & A will be an absolute necessity.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I said no. I didnt' read them , even though I really hope Dave M does well in it. Time for a change.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always voted, AMA elections, US Presidential, most local, and YES RCU opening the forums to the candidates helped my decision.

I always read the small "statements" that are mailed out with the ballots, and may have voted for Dave Mathewson anyway, but seeing him respond to questions here most certainly influenced my decision.

Would have been nice if Bush and Kerry had answered a few here. (Well, maybe not!)
Dennis-
Old 11-04-2004, 07:18 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading the forum replies of Dave Mathewson, I voted for him. Thanks RCU for providing a forum to enable public participation. Perhaps more candidates will see the benefits of an open and free discussion to expound their viewpoints.

John
Old 11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No I have always voted but yes to your other questions and kudos to Dave M for subjecting himself to this kind of scrutiny, its about time. Heres another yes for Dave M.

John
Old 11-08-2004, 10:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The prompt responses Dave M gave here on RCU along with his views turned me his way at the last minute. I even went as far as emailing Dave B with my concerns about the future of the AMA and feel like he still is working for the best interests of our hobby with all his might. But I also feel like Dave M will take the banner and continue the same march while addressing the newer concerns of the membership.

Thanks RCU
Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: *Crash*Johnson*

Voted no, But I did vote in the AMA election. Last year I did not, don't even remember who was running....

This hobby we call RC is a broad hobby, with narrower niches like ARF assembling, Kit building, scratch building ect ect. Personally, I don't like politics. In fact, I despise them. I despise politicians and think their all corrupt (real ones, not the AMA guys). BUT since I don't like politics I avoid politicial discussions. Hence why RCU hasn't been helpful in deciding.

IMO, the masses that stay away from politics are the specific ones that create corrupt politicians. Political discussions can bring out good information for those that don't really care to keep up with the undercurrents within the political realm.
Only by being involved at all levels can one make any form of a learned choice.
While my mind was made up long before the RCU entered into the discussion arena, I voted yes as I think RCU made a GREAT effort to encourage AMA members to learn and get to know their AMA's inside politics. I definitely hope they continue to offer this part of aeromodeling, especially since AMA has so much to do with our flying facility endeavors.
Thanks RCU.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I always vote in local, State & U.S. elections as well as in the elections of the organizations to which I belong. I don't want my *****in' privileges suspended and I feel they should be for non-voters. If I vote for the winner I can complain if he doesn't keep his pre-election promises. I only wish that the district VP's would have their feet held to the fire more often and be required to campaign on their records. RCU is a good place for AMA information.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Unless you actually read the AMA magazine (Yawn, ZZZZZZ ) you won't ever know that any of the candidates for president or district VPs even have a sense of touch with the local members.. never heard from one, never seen one, hell they could be ghost payrollers for all we know!

You bet it made a difference. I voted for the first time and Dave got my vote. I had few discussions with Dave, and while I did not agree with everything he had to say, he was very professional and knowledgeable and appeared to have the overall membership interest in hand.

I don't like politicians either, and most lobby organizations are political, but not once did I feel like Dave was telling me what I wanted to hear - he called it like he saw it, even countered some opinions in a spirited manner - and I respect that. He also had a great attitude and was very willing to listen to the contributors and whiners alike and maintain his composure..

I am sure offline he probably had a few comments about the whiners though...!!!

DP
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The forum was good but I just wish the candidates made better use of it.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Politics on the RCU? This is really rich. Most of the time we don't even agree on RC. Dave Brown is holding all the cards and probably the ballots too. The only way that man will leave is to resign. Why waste your time.

I've called up their a few times and the staff treat you like they have better things to do that talk to you. I've always wondere how much they have paid out inclaims every year. AMA offers me nothing. The only reason I am a member is for Contest purposes.

Our local Assistant VP rep has also done nothing to promote the hobby and not once in my 8 years have I seen him show up for any flying event or show.

Theres too much money up their that is not being put to good use.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:37 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

It was very refreshing to have Dave Mathewson take my question regarding the weight limit. I will probably think he's wrong on an issue or two here and there but I think he's the right man for the job. I don't have to agree with a candidate on everything (which is impossible), I just need to know that he's a convicted person with a sense of what is right. Hmmm....
Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I also agree that the staff in muncie is slow to respond. I have been calling and emailing Lois Pierce for a month, and finally received a return call last tuesday. I am taking over responsibility as club treasurer and needed to know some information. She answered my questions but acted like I was a bother. I hope this new guy that will be executive director puts a new attitued in the group or replace the lot of them ( or at least Lois).
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

hell they could be ghost payrollers for all we know!
DP, those are un-paid positions. You know, volunteers.

And Cyclic, I mean doggy bag, maybe Dave Brown won't be voted out this year, but I'm betting that the contest will have been much closer as a result of Dave M's exposure on RCU.
Dennis-
Old 11-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

//SNIP// Dave Brown is holding all the cards and probably the ballots too. The only way that man will leave is to resign. Why waste your time.

I've called up their a few times and the staff treat you like they have better things to do that talk to you. I've always wondere how much they have paid out inclaims every year. AMA offers me nothing. The only reason I am a member is for Contest purposes.

Our local Assistant VP rep has also done nothing to promote the hobby and not once in my 8 years have I seen him show up for any flying event or show.

Theres too much money up their that is not being put to good use.

"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave." --Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-12-2004, 08:06 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

hell they could be ghost payrollers for all we know!
DP, those are un-paid positions. You know, volunteers.

And Cyclic, I mean doggy bag, maybe Dave Brown won't be voted out this year, but I'm betting that the contest will have been much closer as a result of Dave M's exposure on RCU.
Dennis-

Well, OK, if you want to get technical... I was using it more as a metaphor.
If I was representing a group I'd be out amongst them... I take my hat off to Dave for doing that.

DP
Old 11-12-2004, 08:16 PM
famousdave

Hey Snoop! Man I got to tell you that RCU handle you chose is PRICELESS!! I've been LMFAO even since I saw that!!

Good one!!
DP