Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Join a club? Whats the benefit?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Join a club? Whats the benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Wallrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Join a club? Whats the benefit?

Ok aside from having some friends to fly with, are there any benefits to joining a club? I could go to the local field and see the same people. I'm just trying to gather some info on clubs. Dues? Discounts? Is it worth it?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only you can answer if it is worth it, depending on your other options. Where I live it's either club or nothing. Dues vary widely, as well as discounts. Your best bet is to go to your local clubs and see if they are for you.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Slug

Our club has 120 members.

If you assume that on average each member has been flying models for 10 years, then that's over 1000 years worth of modelling experience available 'on tap'

Hard to put a price on that one, but if it saves one model that pays for the subs for a few years.

Simon.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Mystic6
My Feedback: (1)

As a new flyer, I joined both clubs at my local field. In addition to the available experience from which to draw on, I know my dues are also helping to pay to keep our public field mowed. We also have a group fuel purchase each Spring, and organized events twice a month. Plus it provides an excuse to go out for pizza and beer once a month.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Roby

Good question, impossible to answer.

I totally agree with flyfalcons

Everyone has different wants and needs.
only you can pick what's right for you.

I'd say join a club,check it out,give it a try.

if you don't like it........move on and try something
else

Good luck

Roby
Old 02-28-2003, 02:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's one important fact about being in a club that's often overlooked although it really couldn't be considered a "benefit", and that is if there's a local club in the area, and you are flying alone elsewhere, first, you must be aware of where they are so you don't have signal conflicts, and even if you think you're far enough away, you never know if the club is going to "relocate" to maybe a nearby lake for a day of float-flying, or a nearby park for a demonstration, etc.

With something like the transmission of radio waves, it's just good sense to keep them in one nice tidy package. Think about the consequences. If YOU do it, others may say, "Well HE'S doing it, why can't I?" Next thing you know, there are people flying all over town shooting each other down.

Play it smart. Join!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:54 PM
quitflyin
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Join a club? Whats the benefit?

Originally posted by Wallrat
Ok aside from having some friends to fly with, are there any benefits to joining a club? I could go to the local field and see the same people. I'm just trying to gather some info on clubs. Dues? Discounts? Is it worth it?

Thanks
Our club gets discounts at the local hobby shop, we have a discount fuel purchase program, you can win prizes in raffles and fun flys (EVERYONE who participates in fun-flys wins something!)... From a financial aspect in savings and prizes you easily recover your dues every single year....

As far as what else we do... way too much to list here, but take a look at our club web site and you will see what our club is all about...

www.BlueMaxRC.com
Old 02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Planedreamer

Default Safety In Numbers

If you don't join a club, at least fly at a public flying field and only when others are around. We had a club member flying just over a year ago while he was alone, and he suffered a heart attack. Unfortunately, the paramedics couldn't save him by the time they got there.

Accidents do happen too. You never know when you're going to need someone else to call the paramedics because of an injury. Props cut!

At our club, we work with people to learn to fly, learn new aerobatic maneuvers, etc. Everyone is out there to help everyone else. We have monthly Fun-Fly events in the warmer weather to challenge all levels of fliers. Of course, we have monthly meetings where we discuss club functions and have guest speakers who discuss building, new products, professional pilot experiences, etc. We've got a monthly newsletter that keeps everyone informed of what's happening, a club fuel purchase program. I can go on and on.

If you want an idea of what our club provides, check out our web site at the link below.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Wallrat

Default Sounds pretty positive

Sounds like something worth checking out. I'll contact my local clubs to see what's around. Thanks folks.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:42 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Flying by yourself will become boring eventually. Might take some time, but I would much rather have people around to do it with. If there is a problem, the more members the better. We just had to move fields. It was easy with all the members help. If you are just flying on a dirt road somewhere and hit something, I would bet ama would say you were not within guidelines and would not pay. There are lots of reasons for a club. If you just want to fly by yourself and not be around people, make sure you are a long way from any one else that feels the same so you don't get shot down, but how will you know who they are?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

I don't care for 90% of the clubs "blue hairs" as they just don't care for newbiew or ARF'ers.

I do however, stay in the club for the 10 percenters remaining...Great comradarie, fun, fun guys who make up for the other 90% dead wood.

The remaing 10% is worth double the price of the yearly dues...
Old 02-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Clubs?

Like Flyboy, I like company. When I first started flying, I hoped no one would be at the field in case I pile drove my plane.

After being treasurer for our club of 35 members for 5 years, I learned a lot about clubs. First thing is that your club dues and donations are a great value. I can't begin to tell you how much time and effort and some $ it takes to run a quality club. Finding, acquiring and KEEPING flying sites is a HUGE task. Just having a flying field is reason enough to join a club. Then there's events, fun flys, cookouts, float flys and tons of other things to plan. Our club has three people that will gladly train you for free. Don't even get me started on all the legal schmeegal crapola that has to be taken care of. I was the main player in getting our cub incorporated - I might has well of taken a second job. Anyway, I thing the local club is the best thing we have going for us. If I was you I would hang out at several a few times then join as soon as possible.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Typically, you cannot fly if you don't join the club. If your field is public owned, the joining a club may have little or no benefit.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
M Gill

JOIN A CLUB!

You then have access to a world of experienced modelers. You have safety in numbers. If the local township passes some more laws restricting your flying field, r/c transmitters, noise ordnances, or any other such nonsense, you then already have an organization in place to address the issue.

Most clubs also have other sorts of perks. Find out what your local clubs offer.

As a blanket, if you like warbirds, then I recommend looking into the World Miniature Warbirds Association.

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works
http://www.theaeroplaneworks.com
Old 02-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Mettler1

Default Blue hairs?

I don't care for 90% of the clubs "blue hairs" as they just don't care for newbiew or ARF'ers.

Gee Mike, I hope I'm one of the 10%s in my club.

Is "blue hairs" a politically correct term? I think I've just been offended!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

The folks I'm refering to don't want any kind of combat, have nothing good to say about any model that doesn't resemble a Cub, and go out of thier way to "sudo" inspect any ARF and pick it apart, complain about ARF's in general, people who fly them, as if no one should be allowed to bring any model to the club that wasn't put together stick by stick.

They also get together and make motions, 2nd's and pass any new rule they feel can hamper, exclude or alienate new flyers at the club meetings.
Example, new rule #123.....you must put the bungie cord on the porta pottie door so it doesn't blow open when you finished.

They wait untill your flying to come and speak to you about the cell phone on your hip.

I could go on and on using examples I have read here at RCU in the past, but I have to work sometime.

The term "Blue hairs" is my attempt to keep from saying old guys directly. I apoligize if I offended you. It seems that Crumudgens would be more appropiate, but I feel that it too, may offend some.
Perhaps I'll use extreemly experienced club members from now on.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Originally posted by Mike Bogh
The folks I'm refering to

They wait untill your flying to come and speak to you about the cell phone on your hip.

I could go on and on using examples I have read here at RCU in the past, but I have to work sometime.

The term "Blue hairs" is my attempt to keep from saying old guys directly. I apoligize if I offended you. It seems that Crumudgens would be more appropiate, but I feel that it too, may offend some.
Perhaps I'll use extreemly experienced club members from now on.
How did you manage to get ur foot in that one?
I like you though, quick on the feet!
GroundForce
Old 02-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Mettler1

Default Tongue in cheek

I used to call'em blue hairs and now I are one. But I do agree with you. It's not because they're old. They've been in the club a good many years and have done most of the things that the younger flyers would like to do now. The problem for the younger members is getting the manpower to put on the events they would like to do.

I guess the only thing I can tell you is find enough members that have the same interest as you and see if you can put on an event. You have to do this without threatening the alpha males in the club. Smooth talk'em and maybe some of them might want to join the fun. Try to do all this at club meetings so they don't think you're making a power play behind they're back. Be up front and polite. Good old boys wield the power and don't let go of it easily.

BTW I wasn't offended but I am getting gray.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the kind too. They made a rule that the planes had to have a rope around the tail and noone holding it to start it. I fought it because I want someone holding it. They said that the person could slip and let it go. I said the rope could slip and let it go. Guess who was right. Now we have guys holding it again. Some still tie it down. Makes me nervous as heck. I prefer to have a human on it. Makes it easier and he can help you with a lot more that holding the plane. I prefer to have a caller with me when I fly too. But that is just me. Most guys don't like that
Old 02-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Known Brian for 30 years. Found out he was into RC from his brother and talked to him about getting together sometime.
He has been flying with the same 2-3 guys for 20 years or so.
On nice day we had the first part of the month me and buddy were going to some flying off the snow out front with our profiles.
Brian came out without a plane and watched a few flat spins, water falls and a torque or two.
Turns out all the time he has been flying he has never seen 3D flying Said he was ordering an OMP edge when he got home.
You see a LOT of things at events and flying with many others with differed interests.
As "blue hairs" go, some of ours are fine pilots, some are fine builders and most all are great people. All the knowledge they offer is worth a million bucks to me.
Even the ones that are not "great" anythings still have something to offer the club. Maybe not to me but the club. I think most clubs are this way.
We (my wife, son and myself) travel to every FF we can all season and have never been to a club that weren't more than friendly to us.
Maybe it is just my smilin' face!
There are walking hemorrhoids in every club but they usually come around if given enough chances.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:57 PM
hookedonrc

For me joining a club was great. Instructors, club house (air conditioned/heated and bathrooms) it has a kitchen, pop machine, and a paved runway, building tables under a covered area. To see more: http://www.americanturfflyers.com
Oh and yes, I am a newbie, but closer to "blue hair" than I would like to believe.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Live Wire

Joining a club gives your wife or girl freind or both a rest.
***** ***** *****!!!!!!!1
Old 03-01-2003, 12:12 AM
RC2K3

FLYBOY's got a really good point here: Itll eventually get boring flying by youreself! Whats the fun in tearing down the strip inverted 1 foot off the ground into a tree whan theres nobody there to go......ooooooh.......aaaaaahh and then Ha hahahahahahahah!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Theres a dude way out in the country flying alone. He wrecks...Does he yell at the top of his lungs, or laugh it off?
Old 03-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Live Wire

He laughs it off and say's the he$$ with it thats life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.