Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Being a quest at an out-of-town field

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Being a quest at an out-of-town field

Old 02-22-2003, 02:48 AM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being a quest at an out-of-town field

How many of you have been to a new field out of town and no one will ask you to fly even after you mention you brought some plane to fly.?
I recently was in Tucson and visited a field which no one invited me to fly. At our field, I always look for someone I don't know and go over to visit with them and ALWAYS ask if they would like to fly as my guest; in the same breath I do ask them if they are an AMA member.
The way I figure it, we all love to fly and there isn't that many of us, so why not treat everyone as a friend?

What do you do?
Old 02-22-2003, 02:59 AM
BP5589
My Feedback: (4)

Unfortunately, not everyone is as considerate as you are.
Bill
Old 02-22-2003, 03:28 AM
Live Wire

If you come to the north east corner of the state you better bring a plane . I love to fly and you can be my guest. SMAA flying Field
LARRY
Old 02-22-2003, 04:12 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Geez, I've even invited guys here on RCU to come to my field and fly and I don't even know them.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was it TIMPA field to the north of town? just curious. On your way back north next time please stop at Kingman Az. Have had visiting flying campers stay at the field as long as a week and enjoy the company.

John
Old 02-22-2003, 05:45 AM
mstroh3961

Default where do you fly?

Ben Fly'n, where do you fly? Love R/C Or LAMA?

I'm a member of LAMA cant wait for our new field to be ready!

Regards
Mark
Old 02-22-2003, 06:54 AM
wgeffon

I am a Corporate pilot so I get the luxury of travelling the country and having lots of free time at the places I go.

I have ALWAYS been treated very well at LOTS of clubs around the country.
I never expect to fly because I can nver bring a plane with me but many times people have let me fly their stuff.

I have made a lot of great friends this way.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:58 AM
beardking

The only out of town field that I've flown at so far is the one back in my home town (Norman, OK). I go there on a fairly regular basis so I figured I should make friends before I went up there for Christmas. Emailed the president of the club and asked what I needed to do to be able to fly a few times a year and all he said was to bring a plane and my AMA card. Nice people. Almost makes me want to go again, but I'd be visiting in-laws so I'm not sure it's worth it. :-)
Old 02-22-2003, 12:10 PM
ben flyn

RC Outlaw, You guys are some of the best people I've flown with and a great field too! I will never forget my first landing there; jumping out of a pick-up, still flying, I can't see the runway, I don't know what direction I will be landing, missing the cows at the north end of the field, then missing the barbed wire fence, and then landing a t-34 still full of fuel from flying cross country from Ault. Whewww I did it! Thanks for the memories!

mstroh3961, I fly at both Lov-air and Easton's. I here you got a nice place up there at Lama but I heard they're still worry about the noise level toward this one guy's house that's close to the field.

beardking, In Norman, I didn't bring a plane (btw, they did ask me to fly), but they are a bunch of nice people there. I was there 3 years ago and then they were worried they were going to have to move the field. Are the still southwest of the football field?
Old 02-22-2003, 12:14 PM
ben flyn

John, whoops, I forgot you! No it wasn't at the north-end. I wish I knew it was there.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I am a little different. I usually take my stuff out then ask. That way they can see that I am either an idiot or knowledgeable.

After doing this with my 1/4 scale Giles, I have had people ask me if I knew how to fly it. I tell them a little and they want me to prove it. How do you prove you can fly unless you fly. I just show them the wear and tear on the plane and said it is due to friction.

At one field, the guy got really really mad but stood out at the box with me until I did a stall turn and transitioned into an inverted low speed pass. He turned around and sat down.

I know it is bad but I loved doing that.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geistware,
You are evil!
<heheeh> I love it...
But then.. I sorta do it the same way sometimes.. It is especially fun to go and then drag out the ole trainer and look like a baffoon <which I am damn good at>.. Then just fly around a while and have some fun..
Old 02-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Geistware

I remember once, I was in St Louis and took my Sukhoi (just picked it up). There was a guy that was trying to do a stall turn. He either made it flip over the canopy or it did a loop. I took my plane up and asked him to describe the maneuver. I did it just like he said. Then I did one with snaps on the up line and down line. He just looked at me and asked how long had a been flying. I told him 1 year (truth!) he called me a liar and walked away!

It was fun though!

Originally posted by Robby
Geistware,
You are evil!
<heheeh> I love it...
But then.. I sorta do it the same way sometimes.. It is especially fun to go and then drag out the ole trainer and look like a baffoon <which I am damn good at>.. Then just fly around a while and have some fun..
Old 02-22-2003, 07:04 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

***Friction*** Love that friction stuff

John
Old 02-22-2003, 09:16 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ft. Jackson Flyers were really nice to me

I was in Ft. Jackson SC during October and November for training. I found the local field and chatted with some of the guys. An older gentleman by the name of Jack was out for his first time in a number of years with his Joss Stick. He was rusty and a little unsure. He trusted me after simply speaking with him for thirty minutes to help him out and make his first flight. He let me fly all day long after that.

My next visit I met an ex-airforce gentleman named Mike. He let me spin his Staudacher around a few times.

Jim, the club president allowed me the chance to test and trouble shoot his Aresti for him.

All these guys had to go on that I am an experienced pilot was my word and my bench talk. I am super appreciative for the chance I was given to fly when I was planeless and 3000 miles from home.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-23-2003, 01:20 AM
redrocker

I have flown many times as a guest at various fields around Arizona. I just try to find out who the field marshall is, ask if they have any objection if I fly, ask if they have any special field rules I should know about, and have never been turned down.

Usually the reception is very cordial, and make a few new friends!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 03:07 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Default Use this forum!

When I was preparing to travel, I simply used this forum to find a flying field. This worked out best for me because I was able to find out which clubs were friendly to flying guests and which ones weren't.

RC_SPORT invited me to his field (as did members of two other clubs there). Unfortunately the weather was so lousy that no one flew. It was nice to meet members of their club though, and now I know when I'm "lucky" enough to visit my inlaws, I've got a place to go.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:22 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Your welcome Brian, It was great to have you. Weather still sucks.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:33 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to a field once where I walked up to someone and said, "Hi, I'm new in the area and would like to join your club. Is it ok if I fly?" And after getting a look like I had a dead sea-creature attached to my face, the guy said, "Well, if you're GOING to join the club FOR SURE, I guess it will be ok to fly TODAY, but you will have to be a member to fly here from now on."

Needless to say, it wasn't long before I found another club.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:21 PM
BrandonHarmon
My Feedback: (33)

Default Come see the nice people in KY

I am a member of Two clubs, Paducah KY and Murray KY. If you have a AMA card, Promise not to crash into my truck(it happens) and ask first you will get to fly. Both clubs are very (stranger) friendly. We are like a popular airline's moto
"COME FLY WITH US".

Brandon
Old 02-24-2003, 04:22 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Default Come to Evanston Wyoming

You are all more than welcome to come burn holes in my airspace.
Any time you are passing thru Evanston Wyoming give me a holler and I will try to clear my schedule to meet you in town show you to the field and play spotter for you while you fly.

(Of course you have to have AMA unless you are on the cord.)
Later Jim
Old 02-24-2003, 04:38 PM
BrandonHarmon
My Feedback: (33)

Default tag line

Jimestes,
Your tag line is cute but don't try this in regards to this post. Ha!Ha! Hee! hee!

"It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permision"

Brandon
Old 02-25-2003, 01:01 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Default Sounds like a new forum should be started

I always loved to show up at the new field when I would move and ask to fly. They would always ask for a demonstration of my capabilities. I would pull my Cap 21 out and say I just bought it (it is actually 18yrs old now). Needless to say a few jittery passes in the pattern would usually get them going then I would let it rip. Love them Snap-21's. They would usually laugh and walk off, some have been a little upset though.
My favorite was when I walked up to Bob Trueworthey when he was flying his 35%Pitts model 12. I had just moved to Connecticut and Knew nobody (seems after 3 yrs i still Know nobody), I actually asked him if I could give it a whirl. He said " do you know how to fly?" I said yea a little. Boy that plane flys nice, still can't believe he let me fly it.
Anyhow hope to visit fields this summer.
V-Snap
Old 02-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Geistware

Snap,
I had a guy in Florida let me fly his 35% Stadarcher a couple of yours back. Asked me the same questions. I said yes and we had a friend of his take my discover charge and put $1000 hold on it just in case. I know big planes fly nice. It was the best (and more expensive) plane I have ever flown!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:50 AM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Hi Guys,

Here is an open invitation.

If you are ever in the vicinity of Orange, Tx, you are welcome to come out to our field with your plane and AMA care and fly with us.

We are always glad to have visitors. A good way to learn new tricks that we won't learn watching each other fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.