Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Charting club channel use

Old 02-28-2003, 04:06 PM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charting club channel use

Through some searching of clubs that post there newsletters on the web I've come across some that print charts to indicate channel use by the members. I like this idea for our club. Not until you purchase a radio on a desired channel do you realize how many other people use that same one.

I was hoping some of you, that belong to clubs that chart channel use, can shed some light on how this information gets collected, updated and charted at your club.

My first concern is limited participation. I believe very few of our 75 members would go out of their way to send information about what channels they are using. Do you have a problem getting maximum participation?

From what I've seen additions and changes are to be e-mailed to the custodian of the list. Unfortunately less than half our members have an e-mail account or even web access. What are other methods used for collecting this information?

Thanks

Sdr
Old 02-28-2003, 05:25 PM
BretR
My Feedback: (1)

I am at the beginning of what you mention here...

My thoughts on collecting the info:

1. Send email to users with email (this step is done).
2. Bug people for the next couple of meetings.
3. Have the "Phone Committee" help to fill in the blanks of what I am still missing after steps 1 and 2.

Our club has a phoning committee that notifies all members of upcoming events and meetings. They also sometimes do data gathering (i.e. how much fuel do you want to order this year?).

Keeping it updated and correct is going to be another matter entirely

Check out our site here: http://www.rowlinson.ca/mjrc/
Old 02-28-2003, 05:33 PM
KevinSheen

We have a Channel used? line on our membership application (and have had for years). I'm currently the secretary and we get about 90% participation. We get the occasional smart-@$$ who puts down all of them but I just throw those kinds of answers out.

About half of our members renew late (May or June) so I really try to get out a good list around the start of the flying season for us and keep it up to date through October so they have the list for swap meet season and Christmas shopping.

Starting out might be a bit of a struggle but stick with it, you'll eventually get good data that will be useful to those who participate.

good luck, Kevin
Old 02-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Phi3l

By publishing a list of how many members are using what channels you can keep from over crouding some and under using others.

If you can get this idea across to the members, I would think most everyone would be willing to participate and let you know what channels they are currently using.

Also you don't need to publish WHO is using what channel just HOW MANY.

Phil
Old 03-01-2003, 08:13 PM
SDR-Hammer

Thanks for the input guys.

Since we put up a membership list at the field I thought about doing a modified list where members who could fill in or change channels at the field and I could update from that. I suppose this would be about as complete as necessary. I really don't care about the channels of guys that never fly.

Phil, exactly I just want to put a chart that says channel 11 has 5 users and so on down the line.

sdr
Old 03-03-2003, 05:32 PM
RC709

Charting club channel use
Just a thought:
Our club uses a frequency pin board and we find it is very easy to tell the Frequency with the most use, by how dirty each pin is.
Happy and Safe Flying RC709
Old 03-04-2003, 06:18 AM
jamesg33

Default Club Channel Use

Our club also has a line on the application for channels used and we get good participation.

A word to the wise when using this information - don't make the same mistake I've made (3 times!). When buying a radio, don't go down the list and try to figure out which frequencies aren't used or have minimal use - everyone else in the club who is buying a radio is doing the SAME thing! End result is you all end up piling on one frequency, and whats even worse, you're up against people who actually fly so you chances of being at the field at the same time are pretty good.

The best thing to do is go down the list and pick frequencies of members you rarely see at the field.

Jim
Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
mulligan

Channel usage is a line on our applications AND yearly renewal forms. Data must be received in order to get a new membership card.

I have a spreadsheet that collects all this data and spits out a frequency distribution chart. If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet, PM me with your e-mail address.

- George

P.S. Below file is chart output of spreadsheet only (not the spreadsheet itself- too big)
Attached Files
File Type: zip
60263_7331.zip (4.2 KB, 5 views)