Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Mini-Van Plane Stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:23 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini-Van Plane Stands

I have searched the forum and am looking for ideas for plane stands that will fit in a minivan. Yes I know a truck is the way to go, but till my son is out of college that's all I got. I would like to try to leave the back seat in, but may have to take it out. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Just 2 more years and that truck will be in my driveway.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Nitro Blast
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Van rocks!

I have been RC'ing in my Mini Van for about 6 years now. I still have the truck, but I need to go freeway's to get to any field so I wasent comfortable having my birds exposed to 80 mph winds in the back of a truck. I'm not promoting any van but I do like my Astro.

I use a folding table that I got at Lowes ( the typical party type table) that folds both legs. Sometimes I just slide it out far enough to drop one side of the legs and have the other in the van. The table fits on the floor between the bench seat bulkheads perfectly, and slides out easily. I really like now using the better battery from the van and making my field box much lighter. Astro's have a rear DC receptacle. My Dad who drives a Ford, just wired one from the Cig lighter in the front.
Ther is a cool way to make wing racks from the top internal trim parts, using bungies and PVC pipe and with both seats folded down you have plenty of fuse space, even for big birds.

I really like the security. I can go to the store with my stuff loaded without fear. Leaving planes and stuff in the back of a truck made me nervious.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Nitro Blast,
It had occurred to me to use the internal trim parts using bungee cords and pvc pipe. I will incorporate them into my design. I don't really need a table out of the back as I am looking for just something for the planes/wings to sit on till I get to the field. We have assembly areas where I have a table to set up on and we have a parking area away from the pits and assembly area. Although when going to other fields, the table could be slid in under the seat when needed. Oh and I am trying to keep the seat in the back so I don't have to lug it in and out with each flying day.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:02 PM
bwindrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I much prefer a van to a truck, the security being one thing. I have an extended Aerostar with all the rear seats removed and a pvc stand that can be slid out when not in use. The accesability with the side door is something I wouldn't want to be without.

I have had pickups with caps and there is nothing worse then crawling around on your hands and knees trying to get something from the front.

Just my 2c worth

Bob