The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who else has one?

Old 03-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Who else has one?

I just reviewed a post under Vintage and Antiques, about the Jim Walker AJ folding wing Interceptor. I have two of the original models. Both of them were manufactured during or right after WW-II, and one of them has a red plastic fuselage, making it considerably heavier that the all balsa model, so it didn't fly as well. It sold for 40 cents, whereas the other one sold for 50 cents. I'm thinking that I may have the only one left in the whole world. Anybody else out there have one like this? Here's a photo of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60057_3061.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	37247  
Old 03-04-2003, 03:54 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope I don't but sure do remember them!!!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:01 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Who else has one?

Originally posted by Jim Messer
I'm thinking that I may have the only one left in the whole world. Anybody else out there have one like this? Here's a photo of mine.
It's possible but here is a link to a search I did on Ebay. There a few Jim Walker models and one has the old paper box like yours.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...t&BasicSearch=

You could get 30 pounds for it.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1200

Good luck. Enjoy owning it, that's worth more than anyone would pay for it. I mean that sincerely. My wife and I collect wine and we have a lot of bottles that are worth a lot of money....but's its more fun to think about them, from time to time, just sitting there, getting better, waiting to be drunk!

Bob
Old 03-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Jim Messer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Art and Bob. Some months ago I did a search on EBAY, but didn't find any folding wing gliders - just fixed wing, and rubber band models. Yes - it's nice to own something that seems to be "one-of-a-kind". Too bad that it isn't an old "Clipper" beer can which recently sold on EBAY for nineteen thousand dollars. Wow!
Old 03-04-2003, 11:37 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK...maybe 19 grand would be more fun than owning a beer can!

Bob
Old 03-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Grampaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had one once but I never saw it fly. The day I got it a friend and I went to a vacant lot to fly it. I got first launch. After all it was mine. I really stretched that launcher to it's limits while listening to my friend cautioning me about it. I was gonna show him a great flying airplane. I let it go and for some reason I turned my head away clamping my eyes shut tight as it slid past my head with the speed of a Sidewinder! A few seconds later I opened my eyes, looking up to watch it fly...but it wasn't up there! It wasn't anywhere! I asked my friend what happened and he didn't know either, 'cause when he heard the noise he shut his eyes and ducked too! Some Spotter! Turns out neither of us saw the launch, and we never found the plane either! We scoured that lot inch by inch. We checked the roof of his house. We found no fragments of a busted airplane, nothing! All I had left was that danged launcher! Finding no busted parts, we convinced each other that it climbed out of sight and the wind carried it away. I had a sore right ear for about a week that must have been from the left wing panel clipping me as it swung out going up past my head. I never got another one.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:52 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jim Walker Stuff

Jim, You'd be surprised what's out there. Back in the 80's I was scrounging around in very old toy wharehouse in Vancouver. This place hadn't been cleaned up, or organized for ages, or ever, for that matter.
I found a stack of vintage Jim Walker and other glider and rubber models underneath a pile of other stuff, and I bought all of it for a song. I believe the wharehouse people were very happy to find a buyer, and I was very happy to be him! There was a couple of the original folding wing gliders included in the stash.
I have since sold all but one kit to collectors.
Now, if I could just find a real Waco, or Monocoupe in a barn....

Cheers, Nigel
Old 03-08-2003, 02:06 AM
flicka5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A. J. Hornet

Ok Jim, how many AJ Hornets by Walker have you stashed away? They had the big fat rubber band and flew very well being a stick model circa 1946. Also, have some of the Florio "knock offs" of the Walker Interceptor!
Old 03-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Jim Messer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry Bud - I don't have any of the AJ Hornets. But I do have an original ad for the whole AJ Airforce, which shows the AJ Bomber for 5 cents; the AJ Coast Guard at 10 cents; the AJ Interceptor at 25 cents; the AJ Hornet at 25 cents; and the ASJ Pursuit at 50 cents. This ad is from 1941. I also have some of the Florio replicas, which in case you didn't know it, I was instrumental in their making. Jim and John manufactured them, and I was the marketing end of the business. We sold thousands of them before I sold out.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:49 PM
flicka5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AJ Hornets

Jim: my memory says I would buy the Hornets for $.50 after WWII. Your add says $.25 in 41! Looks like I got ripped off for $.25! Now that you mentioned it, I do recall your arrangement with the Florio Concern for distributing their clone of the Interceptor. Haven't heard from Jimmy F. in several years now. Have had two of the Florio Flyers and can't keep from crashing them. I guess they are too flight sensitive for my waning skills! Have same problem as pilot below! Can't react on time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61330_4974.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37248