The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Price difference! WOW!

Old 03-04-2003, 08:28 PM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Price difference! WOW!

Look at these two pages side by side:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL373&P=V

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...sp?prod=HAN133

wow.

For anyone just reading this thread, these prices have changed. Read the whole thread.

: )
Old 03-04-2003, 08:43 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You see that now and then. Some places get a good buy on a bunch and pass it on. Strange the way it works. Someone is making too much money.

Same as a harley. Dad paid close to $25 grand for his. No way there is even close to that in making one.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:57 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought 4 table top miniature r/c racers from a place called ComputerGeeks.com. $7.40 ea. Same damned thing that Tower is getting $20 for !
Old 03-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THATS WHY I HAD TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS. THANKS PEOPLE, M&P LSH.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:51 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OHHHH another strike from teh Evil Empire... it's so bad that some buyers do not check other sites before blindingly go to certain mainstream sites....
Old 03-04-2003, 11:53 PM
sideshow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by RC Outlaw
THATS WHY I HAD TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS. THANKS PEOPLE, M&P LSH.
Actually you probably went out of business because you had a poor business plan or no business plan.

Just because a store sells hobby stuff does not mean they have a God given right to my hobby dollar(s!). A business must have a fair price, good selection and great service....whether they are located in my town or Champaign, IL.

Bob
Old 03-05-2003, 12:03 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by sideshow

A business must have a fair price, good selection and great service....whether they are located in my town or Champaign, IL.
Bob
It's a shame we have none of these in the Atlanta area. Yet there are many which hang on year after year. Before you disagree, please re-read the above and notice that there are three conditions stated above. Some shops have one or two out of the three.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Small stores have to watch what they stock . It can not stock all the thing you want . Most generaly the customer comes looking for small items that are not feasuable to order. We had to pay shipping and handling like you but you think we had to absorb the cost . Model fuel is on of the items , hasmat and all the other thing that can be put on shiping can kill a business. Ordering in large amounts saves but you want pay the price I payed for it . I was trying to make a living at this ,My Hobby is the same as yours It is expensive. Business and sales are not new to me .
I'm RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Taildrager-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems the hobby stores that sell model trains & supply's with R/C planes & choppers do ok. 25k for a Harley, my 1st Sportster cost $1150 brand spanking new, of course that was in 1961.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ONE measures up

bgi,
Have you tried Winder Hobby http://www.winderhobby.com . IMHO Winder Hobby meets all three requirements. And the owner, Mark Orr is very pleasant to do business with.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:45 AM
bgi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Robert,

I've been to Winder a few times and have spoken with Mark. The selection was better than most and seems to be improving, but still mediocre. It's one of those stores which you think will have what you're looking for, but usually doesn't. Mark could expend a little effort and turn that store into something really special without losing it's charm. Of the stores I know of in the Atlanta area, it's the best. I believe that's due to Mark's presence and fair prices.

I'd say B&B sales is the worst for all 3 categories. Although they have a lot of cool old or hard-to-find items, most everything is marked at list price and it seems to be stocked in favor of the owner's own taste instead of what the customers want to buy. You can tell by examining how thick the dust is on the merchandise. I'll never forget the owner trying to push a fried Saito 72 GK on me for $30 under the going price of a new engine. When asked if I could test it out, he refused: he said he'd probably dump it on some poor sucker on EBay. The store has some charm, but geez, how about a little concience. I'll never go back there.

The one I visit here in Chantilly, VA is superb.

There's a new one in Stockbridge I need to check out.

PS: I know how tough it is!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:02 PM
ilikeplanes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm lucky enough to have several good LHS's in Portland OR. They all seem to compete with each other for price, selection, and service. I really have little to no incentive for shopping on-line. I get to within 10% of the best prices going and I can actually inspect the merchandise before I take it home. That's very important to me. I also like the fact that they're there for me when I need a jug of fuel or some spare hardware. And, I enjoy going to the hobby shop.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:37 PM
bgi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is something to be said for going to the shop. That seems to always get the excitement going.

It's always nice to be able to speak face-to-face with people and have a store front to return defectives to (although I've only had to do that once with a really messed-up CBA spinner).
Old 03-05-2003, 10:17 PM
ChuckN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That "new" hobbyshop in Stockbridge is actually 13 years old. It's owned by a friend of mine who is very active in R/C. Kind of a rare find these days.

There IS a new hobbyshop down by Atlanta Motor Speedway in Sunnyside called BoysToys. I fly with the owner of that shop, too.

The R/C hobbyshops on the north side of Atlanta never seem to stay in business very long. I can't figure that one out.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:07 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LHS

For over a year I worked at the R/C airplane counter in one of California's largest hobby shops.We sold a lot of stuff to first time buyers and helped them learn some of what they needed to know or where to find it. After they went to the clubs we sent them to all the experenced flyers there showed them how to avoid the sales tax and get good deals on line. Many would never come back to the shop for any major purchase. Not a problem for the LHS. We sold mostly to newbees who needed the help at the start. Sure it would be nice to have everyone buy at the hobby shop but that is not how it is anymore.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:57 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And if you are in need of this battery, just go to Interstate Battery. I think I got mine for about $9.00. If you want to really go cheap, contact your local fire alarm company and ask about the ones that are removed from the fire alarm panels. Here in Washington they are required to be replaced every 4 years and there is nothing wrong with them as far as using them for RC. I have an 18 amp hour that I use to charge the park flyers with, at least a half dozen 7 amp hours for the flight box and building board and at a cost of FREE. Ain't life grand. Good Luck, Dave.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:55 PM
davisw
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BGI,

The store in Chantilly you speak of was great when I first arrived here in Northern VA about 2 years ago. In my opinion it has gone down hill since that time. Very poor stock control, staff that is not knowledgable, and poor turn around times for orders. 2 years ago it was exactly opposite. Quan has let it go down hill since and I don't understand why because he had a good thing going.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:35 PM
flydaddy528

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If this is the LHS near the intersection of Rt.50 and Rt.28 I have mixed feelings. My son and I are newbies and were very impressed by the shop. However, everytime we've been in there no one seems to want to help us unless we ask for help and then not sure what to ask for. We actually bought his plane from HT in Manasas and truly appreciate their customer service. They don't seem to have the quantity and selection of HH, but their customer service always leaves us satisfied. Any other LHS we should check out?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:59 PM
bgi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

davisw,

I agree HH it has gone down some. But it's still better than anything in the atlanta area. I've had horrible order turn-arounds from them if I ask for something from SIG. Those are SIG's fault - not Quan's. Other stuff I've asked for comes in quickly. As far as help, you can get the help if the right person is in the store.

FlyDaddy, yes, this is the one. I'd venture a guess that the folks assume you don't want to be bothered unless you ask for help, but someone generally asks me if I need help when I'm wandering from aisle to aisle looking for something. Don't be bashful.

I've heard there's another one in the area, but never visited it.

If you go to horizon's website and use the store locator, it's really handy.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
FLYBOY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our LHS are non existant. We had two. One bought me out when I went to flight school, and then wouldn't listen to what sells. They got rid of a lot of my stock that kept me going, and brought in a ton of 3 blade props and junk noone would ever buy. The other will not stock what people buy either. They are big enough in other things that they don't need to, but are suffering in RC. They keep getting in and out. About 99% of the guys here fly Futaba because that is what I always sold and people like it. This shop only stocks JR stuff, and a lot of it. He is the only one in the valley that flys JR. He also won't stock things like hinges and screw and stuff like that. Those are the reasons that we don't buy from him. If he would listen and stock the stuff people will buy, he would do a boomin business like I used to. We had a great shop, but when I got out of college, I went to flight school to fly the big ones and noone else wanted to take on the store. Bummer now. I wish I still had the dealerships. I would put a model shop in the back of our office building.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 PM
davisw
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flydaddy,

You are right about the Hobbytown store in Manassas. They have fantastic service thanks in large part to the owner smartly hiring a manager that knows the hobby well. I agree they could stock some more stuff but at least they have been listening to my suggestions. Once it is ordered they will usually start stocking it. Plus they give you a 5% discount off the hobbytown price or 10% off the MSRP whichever is lower. This deal is good if you are a member of a local car or flying club. You just need to have you club membership card to get it. Quan has never offered a discount to club members to my knowledge. In addition, they will match the Tower Hobby price on any item over $50. Thus you will save on shipping costs since the club discount covers the sales tax in VA. I just wish Hobby Hangar would match this and have better customer service I would shop there as well.

Happy Shopping
Old 03-07-2003, 12:36 PM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BGI,
You guys had a cheap place in National Hobby Supply till ya'll tarred and feathered them and ran them out of town!
Old 03-07-2003, 01:55 PM
flydaddy528

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default davisw

Thanks for the info on the HT discount, I will be sure to use it this weekend. Who do you think has the best prices HT or HH, or is it a wash?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
David Cutler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Price difference! WOW!

Originally posted by BackAfter20
Look at these two pages side by side:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL373&P=V

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...sp?prod=HAN133

wow.
I just did...

Surely this thread isnt going to discuss, at length, 4 cents difference for a battery?

David C.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 PM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another wow! $26.99 one day, $14.99 the next.

Now that is the power of the internet! It looks like someone at Tower is paying attention to the rest of the world, and making adjustments as necessary.

: )

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service