Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

how insane would adding 2 hobby rockets to a trainer be?

The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

how insane would adding 2 hobby rockets to a trainer be?

Old 03-04-2003, 11:22 PM
vtol_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default how insane would adding 2 hobby rockets to a trainer be?

well me and my friend were talking about adding 2 hobby rockets on my trainer (1 at each wing tip) for some fun. I'd take-off normally but have the ignition by remote control so set them off when its straight and level. Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depends on your goal. I would think with all the post 9/11 crap going on, you wouldn't want to do anything like that. There is a lot of room for people to say you are planning terrorist stuff. With all the talk of banning rockets and RC planes, why do something that could jepordize the entire hobby. Just my though.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:39 PM
phayd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As well as breaking AMA rules, this would not be a wise thing to do. Your trainer is designed to be powered by a single propeller engine at the front. Changing this fact will require modification of the airframe to account for the thrust.

Placing these rockets at the wingtip would literally tear the wings off if the plane, which would result in the live rocket engines becoming completely uncontrolled.

Placing them anywhere else will result in a fire hazard, as you airplane is made out of a flammable material.

Now, if you do manage to mount the rockets with sufficient strength to hold them, I'm reasonably sure that you'll find that they will not ingnite at the same time and/or will not have the same amount of power. This will result in a spin that will be very difficult, if not impossible to recover from.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:42 PM
flapbreaker
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by FLYBOY
Depends on your goal. I would think with all the post 9/11 crap going on, you wouldn't want to do anything like that. There is a lot of room for people to say you are planning terrorist stuff. With all the talk of banning rockets and RC planes, why do something that could jepordize the entire hobby. Just my though.
I think he was refering to just the rocket engines for propulsion not rockets that fire correct? Or did you really mean the rockets themselves. If so then I don't see the point. But adding rocket engines to the tips could add some fun to controling the aircraft. Otherwise adding actual launching rockets to your plane is a good way to poke and eye out
Old 03-05-2003, 12:28 AM
den1tjb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just don't do it. Like phayd said, it would require lots of careful setup. Even if they do fire at the same time AND have equal amounts of thrust for the EXACT same time (which is about a one in a trillion chance), you need to make sure they are aligned correctly, which alone requires many years of training to determine the correct thrust/angle/etc... (I think the call them engineers)
Having said that, I think it would be pretty cool. Maybe on a scale C-130 or something. Just wouldn't look right on a trainer.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:46 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The crazy world we live in. 20 years ago and doing this would have made you a pioneer, today, youd be a terrorist. I too have thought about how cool it would be to have a scale p-47 with rocket launchers on it. I also have drawn plans for workable bb cannons, but have not implemented either into an actual working model. Both are safety hazards, both can be done, but pyro is not covered by AMA and for good reason. Its cool in concept, but not in practicality. I would (and have) avoid it.

Warren
Old 03-05-2003, 01:14 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like something I would have tried 25 years ago. Ought to look cool on a tissue/dope model when it goes down in a fireball.

Today? ****etaboutit. Like Warren says: Yesterday's pioneers are looked down upon as terrorists by today's society.

"Careful with that toy sonny, you may hurt yourself. Then we'd have to sue the manufacturer" seems to be the way of things today in our world of extreme risk reduction. We've turned into sheep.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:47 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As long as your careful and are in a WIDE OPEN SPACE with no chance of fire or poking your eyes out (and don't run with scissors), Go for it!

Whatever you do, don't take a servo apart and use the two wires going to the motor as the power for your engine igniters so that you could ignite them with a switch on your radio which would, in essence, "activate" the servo but would really send the power to your igniters. Don't do that. (sarcastic tone laid on reallllllllyyyy thick). (nudge, nudge. wink, wink)

Mike
Old 03-05-2003, 01:48 AM
flap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This reminds me of one of the old timers stories from years past before anyone considered, (or had to consider) litigation prior to every move they made at the field.

It seems around the 4th of july, yep, you know where this is headed, someone came up with the idea of dogfighting with Roman Candles taped to the wings (to fire forward).
I dodnt recall the types of planes used, but, the force of the "rockets firing would, of coarse, cause erratic flight characteristics and when both fired at once, the planes would nearly stall out.

Im sure theres some veteran pilots here reluctant to disclose events from their wilder days, but, Id sure like to hear about a few for a change.

I realize its a different world we live in today, but, if we could put a lid on the reckless endanderment speeches for a while, maybe some folks will let their guard down and let us laugh with them?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:50 AM
MHawker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default and another thing

And don't let this picture give you any ideas........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60408_4987.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	37390  
Old 03-05-2003, 01:51 AM
MHawker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ooops, I clicked the wrong button.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Dago Red

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

make sure there is no one around. remember those rockets have a blast that pushes the parachute out after each launch, if you use estes, some times you get dud rockets that dont go, so roud hate to get a dud.

i guess what the blue angels did to fat albert, those rockets in the tail would work, but fire profing you plane would be fun, but never the less, dont do it, could put this hobby in danger if something was to go wrong.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:00 AM
den1tjb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where'd you get that pic MHawker? I'd imagine it's from out of the country, or at least out of AMA jurisdiction. I always thought that would be cool to do on an F-14 from yellow aircraft. Maybe I could take it across one of those big ponds.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How insane?
Just normal youthful stupidity.
A model rocket securely mounted on each wing tip.
And depending on both to ignite at the same time, and have the same amount of thrust..
Right!
Any time delay and the plane will become uncontrollable.
Any thrust unbalance and the plane will become uncontrollable.
And no doubt this event will be done where the impact will be spectacular, harming as many people as possible, destroying propery not your own, and creating a fire.... all sorts of fun things.. to contemplate from jail.
Yeah.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Dago Red

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nothin wrong with "normal youthful stupidity".
just some ideas are just to far.
i like to mess with my planes, but not add any thing like that.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 AM
den1tjb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Growing old is mandatory....growing up is optional!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:17 AM
MHawker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"I know nothing.... I see nothing!"

I think if someone was to come out to a desert with something like what he is thinking, there is plenty of room, etc to fly out a reasonable distance and light the engines and feel reasonably safe about your "test flight". Sure, it'll probably burn the plane up as it crashes at mach 1 into the ground. That's half the fun of this type of thing.

I guess I'm assuming you are at an age where the whole "don't try it around people" thing would be obvious. I shouldn't assume. So, just don't do it where it would have any chance to hit someone.

Mike

PS- I found the pic on the 'net a while ago. It is a very popular pic among the Jet guys. And, no, the AMA would not condone such activity. Find a desert. Lots of those in Littleton! HA!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default UMMMM

I SMELL SMOKE
Old 03-05-2003, 02:59 AM
den1tjb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I wish I had a desert out here. Nowadays, it's only houses. I could always head back to my hometown in Iowa. They have more than enough open fields out there (when it isn't corn season of course)
Old 03-05-2003, 03:01 AM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you like the sound of rockets and airplanes buy a rocket launched Glider I have an aerotech phoenix rocket boosted glider it is pretty cool to watch the lift off. It is covered by the AMA but they limit the size of the motor that can be used to a G size motor.
As to the using the wires from the amp of the servo it will not work you have to use a mosfet and a couple of other parts and modify the setup to use a 12 volt small car alarm remote battery to light the igniter for the rocket motor I have a design for this. I fly High power rockets also and have a 2 channel attack futaba radio modified to set of ejection charges for parachute deployment in rockets manually instead of using the motor or in a cluster motor rocket if something goes wrong it lets you deploy the chute early if needed and also alows for a dual deployment system for closer recovery of the rocket. As for placing the motors on thw airplane or firing rockets from the plane this is prohinited By the AMA unless the planes means of propulsion is designed for a rocket motor.

Steve
Old 03-05-2003, 03:43 AM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is my thought on it... assuming you have a suitable isolated area, AMA is no longer a concern, and also assuming you don't care about losing the plane, GO FOR IT! Get some aerotech composites (think you can buy a G without certification) and light 'em up! Just don't do anything potentially stupid at any point! Have a fire extinguisher with, only have one buddy with (for filiming, of course!)

I think a rocket powered takeoff would probably be even cooler than lighting them in flight, and would mean you don't need any on board ignition system.

As far as the parachute charge, if you buy reloadable's you can easily build it without the charge, or better yet, just design a small tube for the engine to sit in, when the charge goes off, it will kick the engine out the back and your now slightly lighter plane can go about it's flight/death. (couple of model rockets use this for ejection also)

and finally, if you let the thought of terrorism scare you into not doing it... well, to each his own.... (how is that for opening up a can-o-worms flame war!)
Old 03-05-2003, 04:23 AM
flapbreaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Tall Paul
How insane?
A model rocket securely mounted on each wing tip.
And depending on both to ignite at the same time, and have the same amount of thrust..
Right!
Any time delay and the plane will become uncontrollable.
Any thrust unbalance and the plane will become uncontrollable.
And no doubt this event will be done where the impact will be spectacular, harming as many people as possible, destroying propery not your own, and creating a fire.... all sorts of fun things.. to contemplate from jail.
Yeah.
No offense but I am glad the wright brothers didn't use this logic. Of course it makes perfect sense but were is the fun in that!
Old 03-05-2003, 04:35 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did some of you get the impression he intends to have the rockets "fixed" to the wing in such a fashion that they would not come off...thus causing all sorts of problems when ignited???

I think he intends for them to fly from the plane...like the ones in the jet photo.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:10 AM
flapbreaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by P-51B
Where did some of you get the impression he intends to have the rockets "fixed" to the wing in such a fashion that they would not come off...thus causing all sorts of problems when ignited???

I think he intends for them to fly from the plane...like the ones in the jet photo.

Sometimes what you intend to do and what actually happen are two different things. Better to be prepared for either event
Old 03-05-2003, 08:30 AM
phayd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In response to flapbreaker's comment about the Wright Brothers...

The Wright Brothers had already done enough research before they flew that they knew exactly what they were getting into.

In response to the notion that this person is wanting to shoot the rockets...

This is a whole new can of worms. Look at the design of an estes rocket. It is designed to do one thing well, fire vertically. It is not balanced to do anything else. It is very bottom heavy, which means that the rocket would most likely fire in an upward direction regardless of initial orientation. Of course this puts the wing in a direct path with the burning exhaust of the rocket engine.

In other words...
if you do this, do it in the middle of nowhere and for god's sake, get a video of it to show us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service