Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken a plane on an airliner?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone taken a plane on an airliner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
gregfreeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone taken a plane on an airliner?

I've got a great planes PT-20 that i put together 4 years ago and I'd like to take it back home with me on my next flight. I was curious if anyone has taken a plane as carry-on (I mean, they're smaller than guitars!), or if they've sent them as checked baggage. How did you pack it if you sent it as checked baggage?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Anyone taken a plane on an airliner?

Since 911 all of the accomodations to passengers have ceased. Prior to that arrangements could have been made with little or no problem.

In 1997 a flying buddy and I carried back a 60 size Mustang from Bakersfield CA to Dallas. We were flying first class and checked it through as a carry on item. The fuselage and wing were stored between the bulkhead and the last seats in the first class cabin.

Those days are gone forever.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
gregfreeman

Yeah, I figured that. I worried though that I might be able to get through the airport security in one airport and then when I change planes they might make me go through security again and I'll be forced to leave it behind.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
anonymouse

Even if you crated it up for check through, you'd probably lose it somwhere on the way. It's odd how some things just dissapear from the luggage compartment. I know personally of two cases of Pineapples that dissapeared from a non-stop flight from Honolulu to Chicago a few years ago. Best bet would be FEDEX or UPS, but cheaper to take radio and engine and replace airframe. Depends on how much sentimental value it has to you.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The size of a PT 20, I would crate it and ship it FedEx. It would be a lot safer and easier on you then dealing with the airline and airports.

Like Gremlin said, after 911, you lose all rights to being a human after you pass through security. And each airport is different. One might let the plane pass but another will confiscate it because the epoxy or fuel residue might be interpeted as "combustible". Even with the tank out.

If you really need to take it on the plane, then call the airline and make prior arragements as to how to package it, checking it in and dropping it off, pre-board inspection, and delivery of the plane to you at the arrival gate. Again, each airline and airport handles aircargo a little differently because they all have to conform to the TSA, FAA and DOT regs. I did this when transporting my dogs and guns for hunting trips and sometimes an additional cost is inccurred, unless your in first class or belong to a skymiles / skycab program.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Cyclic_ Hardover

ORIGINAL: gregfreeman

I've got a great planes PT-20 that i put together 4 years ago and I'd like to take it back home with me on my next flight. I was curious if anyone has taken a plane as carry-on (I mean, they're smaller than guitars!), or if they've sent them as checked baggage. How did you pack it if you sent it as checked baggage?

So my guess here is you graduated from Florida State and you want to take the toy home eh? Go by a local hobby store and get a box from them that mayhave been use for shipping somthing to them UPS and ship it back.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM
gregfreeman

Scottrc, thanks, I'll see about shipping it FedEx. It's just disappointing that i won't be able to take it on the plane, definitely doesn't make me like the TSA any more.

Cyclic, actually it's University of Florida (not Florida State, that's in Tally, big time rivals), and I'm taking it back to Florida from Texas, where it's been sitting for quite a bit of time.

Hopefully it'll only be 3 more before I graduate from UF once again...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Ship by greyhound. Its cheaper than UPS or Fed Ex
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't wish to make "light" of this but not long ago , I was asked to removed my shoes. I was getting worried because i also had my "smiley boxers" on. Can you vison a guy coming through security with a small r/c plane?

The guard asks you to remove half your clothing while he holds the plane for you![sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-02-2007, 03:26 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

don't pack it using the nitrogen bags. read a story a few years ago where a flyer was going to europe to fly and crated his plane using nitrogen bags. since the baggage compartment is not pressurized, the bags expanded at altitude and crushed his plane.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM
gregfreeman

Just as an update, it would be over $100 to ship UPS, which is ridiculous. It's least $50 as checked baggage on the airline (but more likely $100 because I'd probably have to separate it into two boxes in order to get it to fit inside their limitations). Greyhound, however, will ship for around $44 using their online quote tool. I figured any lurkers would want to know that.