Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ideas for New Shop

Old 03-06-2003, 09:15 PM
flydaddy528

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for New Shop

This Newbie needs ideas for building a new shop in the spring. I would appreciate any answers to the following questions:

What would be a good economical size for a shop to build r/c planes and store them? This will be a building detached from my house.

Does it need to be heated or cooled throughout the year? Other than a space heater while I'm working.

What level of electrical service should I install to meet the typical r/c builders needs?

What is the best workbench surface to build and how high?

Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Tim
Old 03-06-2003, 10:35 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Build it as large as you can afford. A 50 amp 220v service should be adequate, unless you plan on adding AC. Hollow core doors make great building boards, for work bench sufaces use good ole plywood sealed with urethane. See if your kitchen counters would be a good height for you, if so go with that height. Do you prefer to sit when you build? If so build them lower. I myself like to stand when I build so a 36" height works well. Don't forget lots of light and leave plenty of space for storage.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to build a little higher surface that I can either stand and work at comfortably or sit on a stool. I have two that are 30 inches dep and one 36 inch. The 36 is a bit much and I don't think I will go that big the next time. Mayby so though, its the one I always end up working on. They are about 12 feet long each and shaped in a U. They are framed with 2X4s and the top is 1 inch Particle board from LP. I put poster board on top and tape in in position. Then if I get glue on it, I replace just the piece that needs replacing. I don't use pins so I don't worry about something they stick in.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

As for size think about what you need then add 10' to both sides.
I will be building a shop in the spring and will be limited to a 20'x24' shop due to space. Think about the roof line so you can build storage above. Also as said before as much light as possible.

As for heat I would at least put a small gas system in, Most building is done in the winter and you would want at least 60degrees to keep the glues cureing properly.

For building surfaces, I use a 4X8 table on wheels so I can move it around. I like a table I can walk around as I work so I don't have to move the plane alot. Also I have a sawhorse with a padded holder on it so I can put planes on that to work also.

V-Snap
Old 03-07-2003, 01:36 PM
flydaddy528

Thanks Guys for all of these great tips - please keep them coming!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

any pictures of your guy's shop?