Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What are people doing with their time?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What are people doing with their time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 03:56 AM
ChuckN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are people doing with their time?

Twenty years ago R/C flyers built a lot more kits than they do now. The common excuse is that there isn't enough time in the day. What are we doing with all our time? What's different now compared to the early '80s? Is everyone working overtime so that they can buy those big ARFs and hang big thumping 4-strokers on them?
Old 03-07-2003, 04:05 AM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Family rearing (Is that a word?)
Old 03-07-2003, 04:07 AM
Live Wire

RCU Flying and Building, I like to waste my time doing what I like.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Mettler1

I have 3 ARF's that were cheaper to own than buying a kit and putting it together.

WM Super Chipmunk arf-- $225 all covered in Utracoat, fiberglass cowl, retracts installed and a very good building ad covering job.
Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk kit-- $150 I Have to buy 2 rolls of white, 1 blue and 1 red covering. I get a plastic cowl and wheel pants. Not painted. I also have to buy the glues and do the building.

WM Midget Mustang-- $225 with great fiberglass cowl and wheel pants (painted) and nicely covered with Ultracoat.
No kit to be found and if there was it would have plastic parts.

Great Planes Shoestring Racer-- $230 Great covering job with Monocoat and painted fiberglass cowl, wheel pants. Also painted landing gear. Very nice airplane.

Can't even buy a Shoestring Racer kit!!

All these planes look great and fly great.

I buy arf's because they are cheaper than kits and usually with better cowls, wheels pants, etc.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:29 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I think for a lot of people their "hobby time" is limited. It's a choice between flying a plane, and sitting in the workshop (or on the sofa in the living room). I've flown mostly ARFs the last couple years. I've got 3 kits in various states of building. For me, I only enjoy building some of the time. The rest of the time it's tedious work. Depends on my state of mind. It can be either a burden or a pleasure.

The real difference between now and the early 80's is quality. There are well made inexpensive ARFs. Back then that wasn't usually the case. It's given people options.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:35 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Every plane I have came from a kit or scratch. I don't think I'd ever get an ARF, unless I absolutely had to have that plane. I'm an electronic technician by profession and I wanted a way to keep my brain active while I was unemployed. Something that could be put together in a weekend just wouldn't cut it. I've been hooked on kits ever since.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I'm assembling a Pizazz for a friend who was kind enough to give me his crash damaged one. 6 hours, two small strips of light ply, and several square inches of clear ultracote and the crash damaged Pizazz was ready to go. Can't wait to fly it (again, as I did the initial test flights on the plane).
Old 03-07-2003, 08:19 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I have a 4 yr old son and a 10 month old son.....so my hobby time is very limited. I would much rather be flying then building......if I built kits, I would have much less time to fly, so that's where my time goes!

Mike
Old 03-07-2003, 08:51 PM
beardking

I mainly build my planes. So far I own (or have owned) 6 planes (only been in this since last summer) and 2 of them are ARFs. The H9 UltraStick I got so I could have something while back home for Christmas, put it together in the hotel while I was up there and flew it that week. I also have a Sig CAP 231EX that I got a great deal on and just couldn't pass it up. Otherwise, i prefer to build my planes. I'd rather do that than waste the same time watching TV.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It used to be that a "Hobby" was for people who had too much time on their hands. Now that more people are entering this "Sport" it seems we are going through a transitional period from "Hobby" to "Sport".

Of course there are still the Hobbiests, and we/they will never die. But I welcome anyone who wants to put an engine and radio in something and make it FLY!

That's really what it's all about.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:15 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still build. Don't have as much time as I used to but I make time. Most of the people I fly with are the same but some do the ARF. I have 2 ARF out of way too many build up kits. I prefer to build my own.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:43 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Seems like my shop time consists of Saturday mornings. I generally get home around 8PM, and after a full day spent keeping the network running and supporting a buncha users I don't have the energy for building.

At last count I've got 22 ARFs in boxes, and more on the way...

I need to take a week off. Lock myself in the workshop with a couple of kits and a case of glue
Old 03-08-2003, 03:34 AM
ChuckN

No one's really answered my question. What are people doing now that they didn't do 20 years ago that keeps them from building? Is R/C now a second hobby for many? Do people work more overtime? Do people spend more time going out to eat than they did 20 years ago? I just want to know if you think people have less time or more time for hobby activities now than they did in the past.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:41 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default 20 years ago..

I was on a 5 year sabbatical from work and all I did was build and fly. The last 15 years I've been working, building, and flying. Where I used to build pretty much all day, now I just build in the evenings. Takes a lot longer and I'm usually burned out, but on I plod.

I like Daylight Savings Time where I can fly after work and not have to burn rubber to do it.

'Bout time for another sabbatical if you ask me.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:41 AM
Kitbasher

They are on the Computer chating with us. I think I like to build as much as fly.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default 20 years ago......

Originally posted by ChuckN
No one's really answered my question. What are people doing now that they didn't do 20 years ago that keeps them from building? Is R/C now a second hobby for many? Do people work more overtime? Do people spend more time going out to eat than they did 20 years ago? I just want to know if you think people have less time or more time for hobby activities now than they did in the past.
I was in Texas chasing the almighty dollar bill, turning wrenches, and then drinking it away.
Today im sober, and after spending LOTS on TMAXXS, a Jug 2, a Monster Pirate, a Heli, and a boat...I finally came around to RC Planes as my drug of choice.
I have lots of time on my hands, but not getting younger, so I ARF it for now. Space limits me where I live now as far as really getting into building, so in the meantime, I spend my time with the ARF world, or as in the most recent Plane, bought it RTF less reciever.
I got alot to learn as far as flight, so for now Ill be burning fuel, instead of the candle at both ends.
In times to come, once I establish a homestead of my own, ill dab into actually building from a kit..but, for now as I say, catch me at the field..... I hope I didnt loose you in this conversation, sorry for the life history, lengthy post. (20 years gone)
Old 03-08-2003, 05:58 AM
DownSideUp

Default what am I doing?

Well, 20 years ago I was 11, and didn't even know what a model airplane was, so I'll answer this question by telling you what I'm doing instead of building kits. I'M FLYING!!!!!!!!! Wow, I can't believe how much more flying time I get with an ARF, instead of building a kit. I know, I know, I don't get everything out of the hobby I could if I built a kit, I'm part of the instant gratification generation, and I don't know how to fix my plane when it crashes. Well, I do fix my ARFs when they crash and since I taught myself to fly, I've fixed a lot. I would just rather fly than build. I only build when I have to get a bird back in the air.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:53 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ChuckN
Actually I think your question was answered. Twenty years ago, life constraints are the same as today. Time hasn't changed, if anything today we are working more hours today for the same amount of discretionary spending money.

What has changed is the availability of well built ARF's that cost the same or are cheaper to put together than kits. I build because I enjoy it as much as flying, but from a cost benefit ratio ARF's win. You can buy em cheaper than you can build them!

This leaves more time for people to fly. The only downside is that I'm seeing more and more new ARF's and fewer new kits being marketed. But then there are all those old RCM plans and wonderful lazer cutters out there.

John
Old 03-08-2003, 11:57 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, my work responsibilities have soared. I am at the age now where my company looks at me as having the background and experience to handle bigger and bigger projects and more than one at a time. I too have little space to build, but am able to get done. As I look at, the hobby/sport is changing. It may be for the best, and it may not. I see many like me that are just getting started and want to FLY. An ARF provides that ability. I do love to build, but for now, I am a beginner (May of last year) and building for me takes some time. Am I learning, absolutely, but it takes time that, if you think about it is away from the flying. I now have 3 ARF's, but do have my first kit in the wings ready to start on. Overall, it just may be where this hobby/sport is going, good or bad.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:19 PM
ramcharger

I think the premise that people are doing more now than 20 yrs ago is simply not true. However by telling that to others, it justifies the purchase of an ARF or ARC model aircraft. Its no more complicated than that, and for me the purchase of an ARF requires no justification. It's your money so buy what you want. Back 20 yrs ago I had kids home, I worked, plus I would travel for 7 to 10 days straight for up to 8 months to a plant start-up. I still managed to build an RC kit every year. Now I'm retired, kids have moved out and I build 4 to 5 kits a year. I do not touch the ARF bit because I like doing what is already done in an ARF.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Live Wire

I"m back sitting alone looking at my Poto. Alb. Looking back what I have done in the past thinking what I would have done , If I did not have model air craft to keep me going In the past. My album starts in 40s.
WHAT A HOBBY
People think it is the end but it is the ( BEGINNING)
Young people learn from the old teach them well they ar the future!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:21 PM
JimmyD

4 Kids.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's that darned TV.

In the summer I spend my weekends at a lake on my sailboat. In the fall I bowhunt with traditional gear (make my own wood arrows). Winter and spring the kits get built. I try to fly at least every other week all year round. Around here in January and February the world is your airstrip if the cold doesn't get to you and you have skis mounted. Flys need to be tied for fishing. Books read for knowledge and pleasure. Post-flight repairing takes up about all the rest of my free time.

Then there is the day job, housework, mowing, painting. All the yucky stuff.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:13 PM
R/C....

Marriage kids and guilt trips.... 20 years ago (here at least)there wasn't the need for a second income...now that's changed...therefore when I get back home at 7:30 pm my wife's been home less than an hour...we're both tired...and of course she and my 4 year old need me...so whenever I advance the idea of going to the basement...I don't get happy looks....so I stay..and before you know it it's 11:00 pm....and I'm too bushed

weekends?...it's between the "we work all week and therefore should spend this time together" to the "you'd rather build or whatever than stay with us...."depending on the mood...though if one asks her she says "I never stop him...."

Tough...but I'm trying to get things back in line....slowly...
Old 05-02-2003, 08:26 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting post! I started in the hobby at an early age (7) thanks to my step Dad, (what a great guy!). It was rubber powered at first but flew my first gas U/C in 1954, b'day present from my Dad. When I got into junior high I was flying small gas F/F and u/c, small budget don't you know! In high school I was into bigger planes, going to school, homework, worked after school to pay for full size flying lessons and still found time to build. Now 20 years ago I was heavy into R/C and there were no ARF's, had a family and a small business to run and still found time to build. I think the difference you see between then and now is that we had only a couple of planes to fly because we had to build them and now with the ARF's you see guys with a dozen planes to fly. I think we still have about the same amount of time now as we did 20 years ago but now some will set priorities as to what they want to do in the hobby, most want to fly and not build. Myself, I enjoy the shop time and building and 20 years ago I competed in the scale nationals (scalemasters now) so you see I love the building part. I guess you can blame that on my step dad and good friend Jack Stafford as Jack was really into scale and I use to build in his shop!!!! Well that's my thoughts on the subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.