The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

second time around

Old 03-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Haoleman
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default second time around

After almost 15 years away from the hobby, I am getting back into this wonderful hobby. I was a novice flyer back then with an Eaglet 50 with OS 25fsr on it and we had a wonderful old airfield in Laytonville Ca. (Willits Airfoilers Club). My flying career ended with a cow tipping incident when my young son gave it down instead of up.

I am looking to get into another plane and I find that with Real flight G2, I have a real problem flying trainers but not the quarter scale Edge! It seems the faster and more accurate the plane the better I can control it. I guess it has to do with reaction time and overcompensation for the slow response of the trainers.

Now my question is, based on what I have told you, what 40 size plane should I start out with? So many out there, so little time; so much confusion! Did I say I am confused??? Please advise.

Thanks,
Terry Neumann
Old 03-07-2003, 04:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any plane is good if you have a good instructor. Ok, maybe not the edge. Get yourself something like a goldberg falcon III if you want a faster better trainer. Build it with no dihedral and it will be a great plane. You can learn on it because it is stable, and you can also do more fun stuff with it because you left out the dihedral. I have an ugly stick build this way and anyone could land it. It is great in the air, still handles like a trainer, but rolls and snaps like crazy when you want it to. My friends has dihedral and is boring to fly because it will not roll well. When we do formation landings, I can slow down as much as he can and have no tip stall issues. The falcon would do the same.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Kaos Rulz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Terry,

Are you looking for an ARF, or would you rather build from a kit?
Old 03-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My sons needed a more responsive plane but I wasnt ready for a the typical second plane airplanes. So we built the SIG KADET LT 25 . And like FLYBOY recommends , build the wing with no dihedral . We did this and added enlarged ailerons. The plane is a complete *****cat BUT it's reasonably precise and fun to fly.

The kit was all laser cut and fell together VERY fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61048_4831.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	37629  
Old 03-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Haoleman
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the prompt response guys. I plan to get a kit as I like building. Just never had a lot of time to fly before with two small boys in the house. Too many other activities like swimming and swimming and more swimming and did I mention soccer too? For any of you that know where I used to fly, If you ever see Dave Lovitt or Shalesh Patel, say hello for me. I will look into those kits mentioned.

Thanks again,
Terry Neumann