Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 05:46 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

I'll vote for something along the hybrid line. I like the ads, like to browse around for my next project, like to jump on a fire sale once in a while. But mostly I like the shared expertise, hot tips, construction threads...and if I had to pay, it wouldn't kill me. I check in at least once a day when I'm home, so I'm hooked.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:22 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Other than the ads that show up in the middle of the threads, I find the ads useful. Prior to the ones in the middle of the page...I even occasionally used to buy stuff because of them.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO!!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Leave it the way it is in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:12 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the recent posts to this thread over the past few days has been entertaining. I hope everyone knows that this thread was started over a year ago in March 2003.

I am submitting Chris for an award for the most successful revival of a dead thread. Now I'm off to do a search to find an old thread on Saito vs YS or maybe one on whether after run oil is needed.

Eric
Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 AM
mvigod
Banned

How many who upgrade here to the power ($20/yr) or platinum($50/yr) would want the option (and use it) to turn off the advertisements? Just curious.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:41 AM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

How many who upgrade here to the power ($20/yr) or platinum($50/yr) would want the option (and use it) to turn off the advertisements? Just curious.
The ads don't bother me and I have bought several products on-line as a resuult of the ads. I'd prefer to leave them on.

regards,
Bruce
Old 05-03-2004, 04:53 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If spending $20 per year would give me the choice to turn off the ads, I'd spend the money and turn them off.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I would like to have that option. I don't care for the middle of the page ads.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:25 AM
BasinBum

Marc,
Now your on to something, the option to turn them off would definatly bring in paying subscribers.

I'd also like to see a list of advertisers so I could look something up at a later date. You might remember seeing something that you now need and can't find the advertiser. The ability to browse the ads would also be helpful and an added benefit to the advertisers.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:26 AM
crownvic

Some day you to will be an OLD FART
Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Marc,
Now your on to something, the option to turn them off would definatly bring in paying subscribers.

I'd also like to see a list of advertisers so I could look something up at a later date. You might remember seeing something that you now need and can't find the advertiser. The ability to browse the ads would also be helpful and an added benefit to the advertisers.
we have an ad browsing page here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/allsponsors.cfm

I am working on a version where it lists company names and then you could click them to see their ads only. the current list pages through all existing live ads. Also in the works is an ad bookmarking system so you could bookmark ads and then later return to them on your own centralized ad page.

As far as a toggle to turn them off for upgraded members I would do it if there was enough demand.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Mike in DC

Personally, the ads are fine with me (so far), but then again, I have broadband every place I use RCU. If I had the choice, I'd leave the ads on. I pay for tons of media (newspapers, videos, magazines, etc.) and they all are partially supported by ads. As long as looking at the ad is more or less voluntary, it's OK with me.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I would like to have that option. I don't care for the middle of the page ads.
Maybe $5.00 to just turn off the middle of the page adds!?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 PM
BasinBum

P-51,
Almost 3000 posts and you're bargaining over pay for no ad options? Marc could triple the ads and you aren't going anywhere. Why wouldn't you kick in the $20 bucks for something you obviously get a lot of entertainment from?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

haha[sm=lol.gif][sm=tongue.gif] ill take credit and accept that award....

Marc.. i will have you 20-30bucks 2morrow if you can make that an option!
ORIGINAL: depfife

Reading the recent posts to this thread over the past few days has been entertaining. I hope everyone knows that this thread was started over a year ago in March 2003.

I am submitting Chris for an award for the most successful revival of a dead thread. Now I'm off to do a search to find an old thread on Saito vs YS or maybe one on whether after run oil is needed.

Eric
Old 05-04-2004, 06:59 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

RAther than read all of 9 pages Marc, I spent $20 last year to become a full service member of RCU. I'd do it again.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

P-51,
Almost 3000 posts and you're bargaining over pay for no ad options? Marc could triple the ads and you aren't going anywhere. Why wouldn't you kick in the $20 bucks for something you obviously get a lot of entertainment from?

Actually its just part of my campaign to get rid of the ads in the middle of the page, otherwise, I find some of the ads useful.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Mike in DC

Folks complaining about ads on RCU should try Yahoo groups sometime. Talk about annoying! I just tried a group on a subject I'm interested in. If you use the web interface (the only real way to avoid hundreds of emails a day), every few clicks, you go to this full page ad, at the top of which it says something like "Yahoo groups are an ad supported feature". It takes another click to get past the ad, plus it screws up the back arrow in your browser. I would have to be REALLY motivated to use THAT system!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Marc,
How about as part of the upgrade feature, we can make a custom venfors board with each advertisers icon that we use present. I know I find myself reading a thread about an item, then want to see about purchasing the item, I can just hit the vendors icon and then get transfered to their site.

I think we like the advertising, we just don't want to be randomly bombarded by it.
Scott