Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why dont people leave Karma or GBU?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why dont people leave Karma or GBU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why dont people leave Karma or GBU?

This drives me nuts, done two deals this month, and neither have left Karma or anything. I have PMed them letting them know that I left it for them, and to please return the favor...... One guy was very worried about me leaving it for him too!! Now he cant do it back...I have left it for both users.... Just dont get it

I feel better now
Old 03-11-2003, 09:29 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I here ya John, have done the same thing but nothing in return!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default 7-11 theory

Human Nature. If you done something good, only 7 people learn of it.
On the other hand, if you sting somone, 11 people find out.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:44 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sold a half dozen items on RCU, still no karma. With the current format there are no prompts to remind us to go that extra step. I, and it appears many others, are less likely to take the time to bother with karma or GBU when everything goes well.

Plus us southern conservatives just don't like the word karma. It sounds like something you shouldn't talk about in front of your mother or the preacher.

I guess no karma is better than bad karma.

Eric
Old 03-11-2003, 10:08 PM
mvigod
Banned

Some hooks to remind people to rate those they trade with are coming. Email reminders plus a special feedback area in the control panel...probably about 8-12 weeks off.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:16 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

same as on other services. Some hold their feedback and charma till you put yours up, then nothing. Lazy people eh.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:48 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

I have bought and traded several times with other RCU members and ALL DEALS HAVE BEEN GREAT.

But only a few have responded with Karma, I have posted Karma on ALL the trades/deals with the RCU members I have dealt with.

Dan Z
Old 03-11-2003, 11:36 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default It's only a good idea if...

EVERYBODY uses it.

I got kinda perturbed when I saw a gut griping about how nobody used it...I had done a deal with him and left a positive post in the GBU (pre-karma), and he didn't (at that time..he did later) do likewise to me since I was a "buyer". The reasoning was it's hard to be a crooked buyer.

Yet I've seen several threads addressing deadbeat buyers and thought it was just as important for it to be a two-way street.

I have 8 positive karmas out of several dozen deals...about half of the karmas are for stuff I've given away, and I've given away much, much more stuff than that. I can't even give stuff away (and I always pay the shipping) and get karma.

As it is now I won't leave karma unless the other person specifically asks me to do so. And I will not ask for it.

So I just go buy gut feeling...I've seen JohnVH around long enough to know he's probably not gonna trash his reputation on the boards by ripping me off. Other posters I try to do a little search to see what their MO is...that's about it.

Karma and $1 will get you a cup of coffee around here.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

By the way, for those who don't know, Chuckauger (in real life he's BubbaJeff!) is one of the most standup guys you could meet in this hobby!!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:45 AM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

I feel the same about it as most do. I post karma for every deal done but have only recieved one in return.......dont seem right does it? Ive gotten most of my stuff through here (havent sold anything yet) and now I got all kinds of flying machines (8 flyable) and only the one positive return,I just cant understand the madness.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

How do you post Karma? I have looked in the past with out success. I am sure it right in front of my face but I can't find it.
Some hints will be appreciated.
v-snap
Old 03-12-2003, 02:28 AM
JohnVH

V, you have to go to the Profile button on the bottom left of a post, like yours, click on that, then on that page you will see some info about Karma, click on it and follow the directions!

Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Get used to the no karma thing. It is in human nature to not do this kind of thing, I guess. Sold some things here and on Ebay and most don't take the time to do it. It frustrates us all and will continue to do so. Karma helps us all have a piece of mind when dealing with someone you don't know. I wish everyone would just take a minute to leave it. Not to change the subject, but.... I just love those people who beg to have your item at your asking price and then back out after you have turned all other offers away. I wish we could leave karma for them.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:07 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Default It's the current mentality of the world...

BAD news sells...GOOD news is boring.

OK, you've done a good deal...accept that and go on...you know you did the right thing whether or not the other party recognized it as such...get over it.

OTOH, if you BURNED someone...get ready to have your name put up in BRIGHT lights.

It's the nature of the game.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:29 AM
JohnVH

I hear you!

But, those that dont leave it, and think its good to buy from someone with none, how would you know they are not just here to burn someone? I understand a good followup would be in order. But, if people were courteous enough to leave it the first time, sure would save alot of time!!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Always provided karma...had to be reminded a couple of times

Hey folks,

I've always provided karma for those I've dealt with when the deal has been positive....

I'll be the first to admit that there were a couple of times that I got karma and was so involved in other deals that I had to be "reminded" with an email from the other party...after the reminder they got their karma right away...

Hinckley Bill
Old 03-12-2003, 08:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default my SECRET.

I've done a *lot* of deals here on RCU, both buying and selling. As a matter of fact I recognize several of the posters to this thread as folks I've bought from. Yuo know who you are

My karma? http://www.rcuniverse.com/karma.php?...ing&userid=527

65 responses.

but How?

Simple.

I always leave karma for anyone I transact with. I email them a note thanking them for their business/product/service *and* add a link directly to the rating page.

Asking someone to find an old ad just to give karma isn't difficult, but it isn't simple either. Sending the link cuts the required steps down dramatically - and my results speak for themselves.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:09 PM
JohnVH

Default Re: my SECRET.

Originally posted by visioneer_one
65 responses.

but How?

Simple.

I always leave karma for anyone I transact with. I email them a note thanking them for their business/product/service *and* add a link directly to the rating page.

Asking someone to find an old ad just to give karma isn't difficult, but it isn't simple either. Sending the link cuts the required steps down dramatically - and my results speak for themselves.
Hmm, you must be the #1 dealer on here! I had no idea there were some that high!! AND, all positive Nice!

The link thing is pretty easy. I dont even get as much as a reply back from them

Oh well....
Old 03-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

When I was a kid, and I finally got my hands on something I thought maybe wouldnt happen, Good ole mom would step in and ask, WHAT!! didnt!! you say?????
If you ask my wife, she will tell you, YOU ARE all still kids, and YOU STILL get your toys.
Anyways, think of us all, as the kids we used to be, and not thanking those who made it possible. Nothin personal, Im going to play now!