The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone know who owns disused airfields in england?

Old 03-10-2003, 11:08 PM
vtol_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Anyone know who owns disused airfields in england?

Near where i live there is a huge disused airfield which would be brillient for R/C flying. There are serverel people in my home town who would like to set up a club but we cant really find anwhere other than this airfield.

Would anyone know how to go about finding out who owns the airfield. I would have thought possible MoD as it is an ex-service station but i still would not know how to go about contacting them about permission to fly there

Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

theres a couple of used bases down here for RC. one is the predecessor to RNAS Culdrose and is used by the Pedannick club as well as a gliding club, the other WE use is RAF Portreath. both these places are open because they have to be seen to be making money or they will be shut down totally.
Find out if there are any other activities going on there and get in contact with them, gliding clubs or car enthusiasts normally. Other than that contact the MOD directly i would guess.
the RAF base has strict rules our club has to follow, and are very picky about planes landing in the grass, all landings must be on the runway and any crash must be totally cleaned up because the base is still operational
Old 03-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can start by contacting the local county/unitary council for the area. They will know the owners of any land in their area. Where you go from there depends on what they tell you.

Steve
Old 03-11-2003, 07:32 PM
vtol_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeh, the base i'm talking off has been completely shut down, i think it was finally fully vacated in 1968 if i'm right. There were 2 runways there, i'm told they were very very spectacular, BUT, the army, in their stupidity smashed both of them up, only thing remaining is 2 large rubble tracks now, i really dont know why they did destroy them. I would understand if they were re-building there but they smashed it up over 20 years ago and its nothing regarding land useage has changed there since. There were also 5 hangers in its better days too, now though just 4. One of was burnt down during a raid in WW2. I think severel junkers or "jerrys" as more commonly known, brought it to the ground. all hangers are now used as grain stores but theres a rumour going around that there is an airframe of a wellington in one of them, not sure if its true though
Old 03-12-2003, 07:10 PM
springer-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi VTOL,

Where do you live? I'm in North Newbald, just down the road
from Beverley.

Which airfield are you interested in? I know that many fields were
returned to their original owners after the war, that is, they went
back into the ownership of the respective farmers.

Many have been bought by flying clubs and other commercial interests and I would expect that very few remain in the hands
of the MOD.

Springer
Old 03-12-2003, 10:26 PM
vtol_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi springer, havent heard of North Newbald but i live in Driffield, so its RAF driffield i'm talking of if you know anything about it, its kinda well known so you've probaly heard of it. By any chance do you go to B.A.D.M.A.C flying club? I don't go there myself, i goto Home-upon-spalding-moor flying club. If you live closer to there then you could possible go down and see what you think of the club? Were on the lookout for new members and we started about 2 months ago, we are at 15 members currently.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2003, 08:31 PM
springer-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vtol

Newbald is about 6 miles from Holme-upon-Spalding Moor and I have spoken to Derek Brooks a little while back after seeing a small ad that he posted in the paper (I think it was in the paper, anyway).

Considered popping over to your patch to have a look, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As far as I'm concerned, BADMAC is bad news, but I do usually fly on the Westwood.

Yes, I know of Driffield's airfield. Is it still known as Alamein?

Which days find your site in use? I can't usually make weekends, but if you fly during the week, I will make a bit more effort and drive over.

Springer
Old 03-15-2003, 09:27 PM
vtol_guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeh, i have also heard some bad stories about BADMAC too. I think at the moment the main flying days is going to be a wednesday night when it gets to more summer time. I went down to the current field today and i had quite a lot of fun. The field I was at today isn't great, twice i had to jump over an irregation channel to retrieve my model! I think what is happening now though is we're getting another site at melbourne near pocklington, apprantly its supposed to be a good site but if there is a bit far then I think you should be ok at the current site, its ok for flying, the only problems i have is just retrieveing the model today but it was a very windy day and my model flew like a homesick angel, even with down elevator! so it should be ok in the future. Unfortunatly though the other person i was flying today lost sight of it for a second and we ended up on a walk to find it. It had hit a tree at speed and amazingly the only thing wrong was a broken prop and a small section of covering had been ripped off but nothing a good hour couldnt fix right up again. The model was a MiG 29.

I think driffield is still called Alamein but the army have taken over it so i dont know what they call it. I was talking about it today with the guy i went flying with and he says that a lot of ex-service stations are rarely ever allowed to be used for RC flying but i guess it doesnt really matter.