Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Propeller clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 07:10 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Propeller clearance

Nicking a propeller during ground handling is something that can be avoided if a suitable propeller clerance is used. Is there any rule of thumb what is the correct propeller clearance measured from the ground to the tip of the propeller for planes with :

1) Tricycle landing gear

2) Tail dragger

Thanks for the inputs..................
Old 08-31-2002, 09:03 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dia of the nosewheel for trike gear planes, or 2/3 the dia of the mains for taildraggers. (going by wheel size recommended in the kit.)

That's my current rule of thumb. Any time I have the prop closer to the grond than that... I seem to nick it up frequently.

I will replace the landing gear to gain prop clearance, rather than go with a shorter prop... Mainly because I love long props.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have about 1" of clearence for my prop on my sig se
Old 09-01-2002, 10:09 AM
00hex

Don't forget that after a few hard landings the propeller clearance may be a little lower
Taildraggers need a little more clearance. Nosewheels will usually keep the prop away from the ground. The propeller will hit the ground on any taildragger if it tilts forward far enough.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:28 AM
FHHuber
Banned

You'd be suprized to see how much that nosegear springs back on a normal landing... Ever notice what looks like a tire tread skid mark on the belly of your plane a few inches back of the nosewheel? It was the nosewheel hitting the fuselage! Its very easy to bounce hard enough to flex the nosewheel that much.

The nosewheel protecting the prop idea is not as true as it first seems....