Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Whats the most amount of "Cartwheels" your plane has ever done?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Whats the most amount of "Cartwheels" your plane has ever done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 10:48 AM
vtol_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the most amount of "Cartwheels" your plane has ever done?

After I went flying yesterday, my friends brand new MiG-29 did 3, yes THREE complete cartwheels across the ground without breaking, how many cartwheels have peoples other planes done? breaking or not breaking
Old 03-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

We have a PicoJet from Multiplex that I think did 2 or 3 once...
Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I cartwheeled a 12 foot Telemaster one day. On the take off roll, with a slight cross wind, i little gust got under that big wing and stood it right up on the port wing tip and it rolled about 1 1/2 times shedding parts all the way. It was the worst carnage i've ever caused. My son and I completely rebuilt it and flew it a couple of years. Then we took it to Toledo a few years ago and sold it to a father and son from Canada. Saw them the next year and they said they loved it and that it was still flying great. Hope it still is.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I have an overweight stop sign, 2'X2', made from coroplast, if you get a little slow on landing, it looks like a frisbee rolloing on edge across the field, too many to count. It's now undergoing weight reduction via PBF conversion, losing the gutter pipe fuse & landing gear.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:40 PM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

I have advanced in skills over the years to the point that now I seldom do more than 1 complete cartwheel.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:09 PM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

I have advanced in skills over the years to the point that now I seldom do more than 1 complete cartwheel.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Ive seen a P-51 do a perfect cartwheel no damage, came out perfect. looked awsome.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:35 PM
vtol_guy

wow, i rarely actually seen a model come out of a cartwheel badly broken, not only do they not matter much they are incredibly entertaining!
Old 03-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I did two with my Sudokhoi when I ran out of fuel on take off. The sound was terrible, but amazingly nothing was broke!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:39 PM
redrocker

I had a Midwest "stand way back scale" me-109 that used to frequently cart wheel. When it would slow down enough to land, it would invariably drop the right wing, then tumble down the field. I would go home and add several ounces of lead to the left tip, and try again next weekend. Same result. Somehow the plane survived with only cosmetic damage. I never did count the cartwheels. About the time it would start tumbling I would look around to see who saw me do such a dumb thing.

Engine (old OS50) finally ate a main bearing so I retired the plane. It is still sitting in my workshop- been there about 12 yrs. Maybe I will add some more lead to the left wing and scrounge up a suitable engine and see what happens!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Ralph Morris

Default Two, plus one probable

I have an SE-5 biplane with a Fox .60 engine, and once a movie production was using the "infield" triangle at Mile Square Park, to make a space fiction film (it wasn't even science fiction).

So they put up a string of porta-potties, right along the far side of our runway.

I had flown 'til the tank was dry, so I set up for a dead stick landing. I knew the the s**tters were there, but I made a short crosswind leg and then realized I was heading straight for them!

So I attempted to turn, with no power, so the airplane stalled and came down on the right wingtip. I saw it go around once, but then it was behind the porta-potties, and it didn't come out the other side (there were about half a dozen lined up side-by-side)

I expected the worse and I went to pick up the pieces. However, the only thing even bent was the forward, right- hand interplane strut, which is actually a 4-40 steel rod with wood trim. The wires on this plane are functional, being set up with turnbuckles.

Didn't break the prop or bend the landing gear. I wish I had it on video, from the other side of the potties.

Grass with soft dirt is best for cartwheels.

But that wasn't the funniest one. Once before I had a stand-way-off Super Chipmunk ARF sold by Futaba. I started the Fox .60 (same one's in my SE-5, which inherited the engine upon the Chipmunk's demise).

I taxied out on the runway, turned into the wind, and started to open the throttle. The plane leaped into the air, rolled over and struck the left wingtip on the runway. It bounced enough to clear the spinner and propellor, which was still going full tilt. It continued the cartwheel and struck the right wingtip on the runway, bouncing again and then landing right-side up, on its wheels!

At this point I realized that I had no control of the airplane! It headed off the far side of the runway, fortunately, and tipped up in the tall grass, killing the engine (prop, too).

An examination later revealed that the power plug was pulled out of the receiver. It's possible that occured as a result of the cartwheel, but if so, something else caused the event.

I had a pull-for-on switch on the side of the fuselage, so perhaps a rock flew up and turned it off. I had control when I taxied out of the pits, but it soon went south.

At that time the Futaba service center was located right here in Orange County, and the battery pack and receiver checked out o.k.

About a year later I lost control of the same plane, and it crashed into a tree, for its final landing. Analysis of this crash was difficult, due to the small pieces that rained down from the tree.

I paid a young fellow $5 to retreive the landing gear, which was still attached to its plywood base, but not to the airplane.